Dallas: Is the New TNT Series Worth Watching?

Dallas TV show on TNTThe big night is finally here. The Ewings of Dallas are back on the air after 14 years away. Will this new series outlast the original or does it deserve to be quickly cancelled instead?

The new Dallas on TNT is a continuation of the primetime soap opera that began in 1978. John Ross (Josh Henderson) and Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe) are fighting over Southfork, just like their fathers (Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy) did back in the CBS days. Others in the cast include Linda Gray, Brenda Strong, Jordana Brewster, and Julie Gonzalo.

Is the new Dallas worth your time? Here’s what some of the critics are saying:

NY Daily News: “So we’ve got love and money both in play here, and soon they swirl together into a tale that’s got more kick than Texas chili made with live rattlesnakes. It’s also soapy, of course, not to mention campy. Hagman in particular hasn’t lost an ounce of his villainous sleaze. No one expects Dallas to have the kind of reach now that it had three decades ago. But between old fans who will enjoy a revisit and young folks who never even heard of Miss Ellie, TNT is placing a sound bet.”

TV Guide: “Unfortunately, these young ‘uns are not larger than life, paling next to the icons that bore them, buzzing around like gnats in the shadow of legends. Still, the comfort level in the new/old Dallas is considerable, as we gawk at which of the old-timers is still on their game and who are the worse for wear. (Linda Gray’s Sue Ellen seems especially mummified, given no help by the writers turning her into a most improbable politician and professional wet blanket. She was more fun when she drank.) The show’s predictably melodramatic rhythms and telegraphed twists will be like nectar to those still pining for this old-school style of skullduggery.”

USA Today: “Forget Dallas; they should have called it Thebes. You can find mummies who look fresher than this mold-encrusted relic, and who have newer ideas in their empty, embalmed heads. Not, of course, that this embarrassing throwback has any idea to offer beyond a desire to cash in on the standard-setting success of the CBS original in the 1980s… There will no doubt be some out there who so loved the original Dallas, they’ll still find this little “D” enchanting. There will be others who come for the camp value alone, from the wooden performances to the often risible dialogue. As for the rest of us, we can be grateful that a busy TV summer offers plenty of other choices.”

LA Times: “Then as now — and acknowledging some good work among the younger set, especially the Texas-born Henderson — it is Hagman’s show. To say there is no series here that would be worth watching without him is indeed only to point out another way in which the new Dallas is very much like the old… The pilot dawdles until the right word rouses [JR] back to action like a demon from his thousand-year sleep. His eyes light up, and the party starts.”

Hollywood Reporter: “The writing is not there. Neither is the acting. And the plot -– well, it’s not like that was a strong point of the original version anyway. But none of the elements is present, just soap bubbles and silliness. This is a remake that should never have been remade.”

STL Today: “TNT has wisely scheduled Dallas for 10 episodes, all completed before the premiere. More could be ordered, but at least the audience can be assured of one complete story arc. Executive producer Cynthia Cidre (Cane) and her team have provided many entry points for new viewers, and references they may not get are either explained or expendable. The young cast, especially the male leads, is appealing, and the show looks good, benefiting from shooting on location in Dallas. The storytelling was compelling enough to lead me to watch three episodes (TNT provided all 10) in a row.”

Tampa Bay Times: “Filmed for the HD world with better landscapes, better acting and slightly better writing, this newly retooled Dallas feels upgraded from the early, fumbling pace of the original series’ early days… I’m probably in the minority, but for me a world of oil leases, adultery and methane gas wasn’t quite enough to snare the attention of the iPad generation, anymore.”

So, the critics are quite mixed on the new Dallas series to say the least.

What do you think? Are you a fan of the original? Have you watched the new series? Will you go back to watch again?

Beverly August 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

Wake Forest loves Dallas. Can’t wait for the next season. Cast looks great – love Bobby.

mary lou francoeur August 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm

please keep dallas on, i wish i could watch it for 2 hours just love this show, especially bobby, please dont ake it off the air

PLEASE

SARAH DAVIES August 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I LOVE THE NEW DALLAS ITS AMAZING. I AM A FAN OF THE OLD BUT AM SO ENJOYING THE NEW:0) CANT WAIT FOR IT TO AIR IN THE UK… MY HUSBAND DOWNLOADS IT FOR ME…TOTALLY COMPULSIVE VIEWING. MORE MORE MORE SEASONS PLEASE.

Ed August 3, 2012 at 7:57 am

I love the updated Dallas. What a great twist it would be to somehow get Abby Ewing back to mix things up even more!

Tim August 2, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Love, love, love this show! I was very skeptical about it at first, but I can’t wait for the next episode now. PLEASE do not cancel this show!!!

Linda August 2, 2012 at 8:56 am

I’ll just ignore the negative write ups. Granted of course I still think the old is better but the new is not dismall and enjoy the plot. Have to say it is still ten times better than these lame reality shows.

Cindy August 1, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I was an avid fan of the old series and I love the new series. I was hooked from the first episode. I sure hope they continue with the series. The acting is good and so is the storyline.

Sandyc August 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm

This show HAS to return!!!!! Best show I’ve seen in years and 10 of them is NOT enough!!! Who do we write to? How do we make sure it comes back for a regular season? Love it – Love it – Love it!!!

Mary August 1, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Throughly enjoy the new show and I was disappointed it is a limited season. hope it comes back. look forward to watching it every Wednesday night.

Lynne Seagren July 27, 2012 at 4:30 am

Hubs ands I are finally excited about a series again. Episodes get better and better, and we’re starting to love/hate all the appropriate characters. Can’t remember the last series we watched that made us count down the days till the next episode ( Dallas?) Thanks, way to go, and keep em coming! PS Josh Henderson is HOT, but hey…so is Bobby Ewing!

Jacli Salazar Primo July 26, 2012 at 10:41 am

Florida Loves Dallas!! When Dallas originally aired I was a little kid and had to sneak out of my room and hide behind the couch to watch it (my parents liked it so much they would invite people over, make popcorn, turn down the lights and make an event of it). I loved it then (even though I did not always understand it) and I love it now. Is it the same show? No, nor should it be. Times have changed in the country and so the show and it’s characters have changed. It is called evolution people. If the new people don’t shine quite as much as the original cast that is only because we don’t have a relationship with them yet. We know Sue Ellen and the others, they are like revisiting our favorite aunties and uncles. The new people are more like the cousins you haven’t seen since they were babies, you don’t know them yet. The show has only been on for a few weeks, I say give them time. The writers have done a great job of helping us get to know them and I think the fans will surprise critics like the TV guide (whose critique was actually insipid and very disappointing) and show that we know a good thing when we see one.
As for the comment about generational differences I am tired of people acting as if younger people can’t think for themselves or recognize a good idea. Just because we are deep in tech doesn’t mean we can’t appreciate a good show. I for one am glad to see a real tv show that is actually entertaining, not yet another show that features a bunch of 20-30 somethings all questing for sex and whining about their love lives or worse, another supposed reality show featuring a bunch of loud mouth jerks and sluts who drink and yell at each other all day. You can keep The Bachelor, keep Big Brother, keep Jersey Shore and absolutely all of the “Real Housewives”. I’ll take Dallas, thank you.

big fan of dallas August 10, 2012 at 5:47 pm

DITTO!!!!! I couldn’t agree with you more.

Melissa Evans July 26, 2012 at 6:56 am

LOVE THE NEW DALLAS as much as the old…..didnt miss an episode of the old. PLEASE keep this coming! NICE NICE change from all the reality shows out there and sitcoms!

Billie July 25, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Love the new Dallas. I hope it will stay on.

Rhonda G July 24, 2012 at 5:57 am

I’ve gotten just as caught up in the story line for the new Dallas as I was with the original. Please keep it coming. Such a refreshing change from the current trend in reality shows (which I despise). My friends agree…TV for the “Baby Boomers” who are still thriving and supporting “Generation X”. Way to go TNT!

Teresa M July 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

Love love Dallas. Great to see a show for the middle age not a reality show that is scripted. Hope it is brought back on the fall lineup. Great cast and hope some more of the old cast make appearances. Love it.

Mark D Evans July 18, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I miss the old Dallas, but am hooked on the new one just as well…..I think the cast i fantastic and look forward to the following weeks of all the new episodes on tnt.