Days of Our Lives: Are the Hours Numbered for the NBC Soap?

Days of Our Lives May EndHang onto your seats soap fans! Dr. Marlena Evans and the Brady and Horton families may be in trouble again — and this time, there may not be an escape!

An industry source has recently reported that NBC is considering canceling the long-running soap opera, Days of Our Lives. NBC has aired the soap for all of its incredible 40+ year run but does not actually own the series.

Word is that NBC feels that the licensing fee it pays to the production company is too high (based on the show’s ratings). If a lower fee can’t be negotiated, the series may end at the end. One source has said that the current contract runs until 2009 but there is a clause in it that would allow NBC to terminate the show as early as the Spring of 2007.

I’ll be on the lookout for new developments. Stay tuned . . .TV Series Finale home page

Gaby October 19, 2007 at 1:04 pm

u cant take off days… i grew up watching it and both my grandmas have watched it over 30 years……… please don’t cancel it….people r to in to days for it to be cancelled…..

and can u change the time back to 7 please…….

Tracy McCal September 1, 2007 at 7:39 am

Please don’t cancel Days. I’ve ben watching it for 38 years. It’s the ONLY daytime show to watch. I record it everyday so I can watch when I get home. They feel like my own family. If days is cancelled I never watch anything else on NBC.

D August 18, 2007 at 8:12 pm

Don’t cancel the show just get back to the old storylines that were interesting….For example marlena/kristen/susan stuff like that was humorous yet dramatic…keep the show the fans and the actors deserve to allow it to get better…refer to the 90’s for storylines give old ones a twist the new teen scene isn’t working it lasted from 1999-2003 and was done move on now one wants these new characters…

longMileTogo August 12, 2007 at 4:57 am

Please don’t end Days of our lives. And please reconcile Bo and Hope quickly, Kayla and Steve, and Sami and Lucas. Now lets deal with the children and other issues..

R A August 8, 2007 at 8:05 am

It is a very captivating TV soup, would be really a shame to terminate it on the viewer’s expense. It should continue just for the sake of all the million viewers world wide.

vickie lee hunter July 22, 2007 at 6:38 pm

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL DAYS OUR OUR LIVE. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING TH SHOW SINCE 1972.THE PEOPLE THAT ARE ON THE SHOW ARE LIKE FAMILY . I TAPE THE SHOW EVERYDAY SO I CAN WATCH THE SHOW WHEN I COME HOME FROM WORK. IT IS THE ONLY SHOPE I WATCH AND ENJOY. YOU KNOW IT IS GOOD WHEN YOU HAVE WATCHED TH SHOW FOR OVER 30 YEARS. PLEASE DONT’T CANCEL THE SHOW I DON’T KNOW WHAT I WOULD WATCH AND ENJOY AS MUCH AS I ENJOY DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

taylorblue July 4, 2007 at 6:44 pm

What will I do without days? I have been watching it since I was 17! There will be nothing better than that show.

Heather June 16, 2007 at 9:28 pm

I have been watching DOOL for 20 years and my children are viewers also. Please do not cancel my favourite show on TV. I cannot go a day without it and PVR it everyday!!!

Jenn June 16, 2007 at 6:48 am

Nooooooooooooo! Days can not end! I TIVO it every single day, and it’s the only soap I’d ever, ever watch!! I’m 26, and I’ve been watching since I was 12! I have a ton of friends and family members who all LOVE the show & still watch all the time! PLEASE don’t end the show!! My great-grandmother watched DOOL every day- and I planned to watch it my whole life.

Jackie June 13, 2007 at 11:34 am

I have been a loyal viewer of Days of Our Lives for 25 Years. I don’t know what I would do if it went off the air. My kids watch it with me now and will very likely be the next generation of viewers. It has to continue.

Angela Hamlin June 10, 2007 at 11:48 pm

Please do not cancel days! I’ll go crazy w/o it. I wont know what to do w/o it! Please do not discontinue it.
Ive been watching since Frankie and Melissa were dating and competing with his brother Pete. In the 80’s!!!!!
Its the only one I watch!! Please dont leave us hanging?????????? :)>smiley face! -Angela-NM

Tammy June 2, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Please don’t cancel the show! I’ve been watching the show for about 16 years. Thats the longest I’ve ever watched a tv show. It makes me going back for more. The show is just getting started again since the Dimeras are back. The cast is unbelievable. I’ve met some of the people on the show and they were great! So I really really hope you don’t cancel the show or I will be dissapointed.

Gwen May 22, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Please do NOT cancel Days. I can remember being in preschool and “pretending” to be napping, but really watching Days with my Great Grandmother, and my Nana, who baby-sat me, back in the 80’s. (It’s nice to see Kayla and Steve back!)
I started really watching on days off of school, and holiday breaks in the mid-nineties. The first story-line I remember well was when Marlena was posessed. I think that has become a classic one, especially for us “younger” (early 20’s) viewers, who started watching off and on in our early teens.
Some story lines, like the Island” thing a couple years ago, were rather difficult. It was just too long!
Some of the older, “classic” characters should get some good storylines again of their own, and not just be supporting the younger ones- Victor, Doug, Julie, Maggie, etc.
I really miss the old Belle (Kirsten Storms), Chloe (Nadia Bjorlin), and old Shawn (Jason Cook).
I think addressing some situatins that we can relate to would be a good idea, as well as some traditional soap lines.
Fertility complictaions(repeated miscarraiges for instance) when and if Belle and Shawn finally get married and decide on a 2nd baby; Marlena surviving breast cancer after John’S situation ends (also going on too long- I almost keep forgetting what IS going on with that…); Kate finds out she’s in enormous financial debt, and gets a wake-up call, and has to live with Sammy and Lucas, and finally grows up; Bo and Hope’s daughter has Autism or Aspberger’s Syndrome, and they learn how to treat it; EJ maybe really isn’t a DiMera, after all– and ends up with Billie; Celeste and Victor have an affair, and a mid-life surprise- a baby; Will gets in with the wrong crowd and ends up getting arrested repeatedly, and gets a girl pregnant…

Willows baby isn’t Shawn’s- it’s Phillip’s. He softens with both her, and Shawn and Belle, and helps Willow straighten out her life, so they can raise the baby in a stable family.

TERRI May 2, 2007 at 9:29 am

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL DAYS OF OUR LIVES! THERE IS NO OTHER SOAP OPERA THAT CAN COMPARE TO DAYS. I’M IN MY THIRTIES AND I’VE BEEN WATCHING FAITHFULLY SINCE I WAS ABOUT FIVE. MY GRANDMOTHER AND I TALK ABOUT IT SHARE STORIES ABOUT IT. WE TRY AND FIGURE OUT WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT. SO PLEASE DON’T CANCEL DAYS!!!! NBC WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REPLACE IT. YOU WILL DEFFINTLY LOSE RATINGS. SO I BEGGING YOU NOT TO CANCEL DAYS. IT’S GOT A GOOD STORYLINE GOING ON RIGHT NOW. I SET MY DVR TO RECORD EVERY SHOW. I CAN’T WAIT UNTIL I’M DONE AT WORK JUST TO GET HOME TO WATCH. ONCE AGAIN PLEASE SAVE DAYS

tammy April 26, 2007 at 12:27 pm

please do not cancel Days. I have been watching it for years. I have become addicted to it and its characters.