Days of Our Lives: NBC Soap Opera Renewed for Two Seasons

Days of Our LivesOn the occasion of the 45th anniversary of Days of Our Lives, fans of the NBC soap opera got a wonderful gift. The network announced that Days has been renewed for not just one, but two more seasons on NBC.

Daytime dramas have of course greatly declined in popularity over the past several years. NBC cancelled Passions a couple years ago and CBS ended their long-running As the World Turns and Guiding Light after many decades on the air. Days of Our Lives has been on the verge of cancellation several times so this news is particularly welcome for the show’s fans, cast, and crew.

Ken Corday, the soap’s executive producer and the son of Days’ co-creators, told the NY Times that he broke down in tears when he received the call. He said, “This is a time of a lot of uncertainty in the soap community” and noted that the best he had hoped for was a one-year renewal. The soap went through severe budget cuts two seasons ago and those cost cutting measures saved the network 40% in license fees and has made it possible for the show to continue.

Here’s the official press release from NBC…

NBC PICKS UP ‘DAYS OF OUR LIVES’ FOR TWO MORE SEASONS AS ICONIC DRAMA CELEBRATES ITS 45TH ANNIVERSARY TODAY

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – November 8, 2010 – NBC has picked up its daytime drama “Days of our Lives” – which is celebrating its 45th season today on NBC — for two more years through the 2012-13 season. The announcement was made today by Jeff Gaspin, Chairman, NBC Universal Television Entertainment.

“‘Days of our Lives’ remains vitally creative through the years as it continues to draw new generations of viewers, especially among its loyal female audience” said Gaspin. “NBC salutes the series on its 45th anniversary and we look forward with great anticipation to working with the production team for the years to come.”

“This important and enduring series is an iconic part of NBC’s history as well as that of daytime drama,” said Bruce Evans, Senior Vice President, Current Programming, NBC Entertainment. “The creative team, cast and crew work hard each day to ensure that ‘Days’ continues to remain fresh and relevant to its legions of devoted fans across the country.”

“With great joy, I am pleased to announce the best news any soap opera could receive. ‘Days of our Lives’ has been picked up through September of 2013,” said Ken Corday, executive producer of “Days.” “We extend our greatest gratitude to NBC for blessing us with the gift of such an amazing commitment.”

“We continue to be big believers in the serialized daytime drama and we’re thrilled that our great partners at NBC have renewed ‘Days of our Lives,'” said Steve Mosko, president, Sony Pictures Television. “An iconic global brand, ‘Days’ entertains millions of loyal, engaged viewers, on television and online, in the US and around the world.”

“Days of our Lives” (Monday-Friday, 1-2 p.m. in most markets; check local listings) first premiered as a half-hour drama in 1965 and expanded to an hour 10 years later. Today, it remains a consistent favorite among viewers of daytime television serials and is currently tied for #4 for the season among all daytime dramas in women 18-49, tied for #2 in women 18-34 and tied for #1 among girls 12-17, according to Nielsen Media Research. Through six weeks of the 2010-11 season, “Days” is averaging 2.6 million viewers.

In its 45 years, “Days of our Lives” has garnered numerous Emmy Awards and nominations, as well as multiple Soap Opera Digest and People’s Choice Awards. “Days of our Lives” is set in the fictitious Midwestern town of Salem. The core families are the Bradys, the Hortons and the DiMeras, and the multi-layered storylines involve elements of romance, adventure, mystery, comedy and drama.

“Days of our Lives” is produced by Corday Productions Inc., in association with Sony Pictures Television. Executive producer Ken Corday is following in the tradition of his parents, Betty and Ted Corday, who co-created “Days of our Lives” and helmed the series for many years. Gary Tomlin is also executive producer. Dena Higley is the head writer and Christopher Whitesell is co-head writer.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Days has been renewed for two more years?

Trudy Hollatz August 12, 2012 at 5:17 am

I have been watching Days of Our Lives since it’s first episode aired. I loved it then and I still love it today. It has a great story line. My compliments to the writers who have kept Days very interesting and at times have kept me on the edge of my seat. I have laughed and I have cried over many of the episodes. The actors played their parts so well that you could almost believe that what they were experiencing was actually real and not just a television show. When an actor can draw you in to where it brings out the emotions in the viewers then you know that that actor has real talent and so many of the actors on Days succeed in doing that. I know it is a soap opera but just look at some of the movies that are out today. I can’t stomach to even watch the first 10 or 15 minuter of them. Days has a few sexy scenes and once in a while a murder or two but it is all clean cut and tastefully done. That is so refreshing. I also injoy the fact that there is no hard core profanity. I may sound old fashioned but I know I am not the only person who feels that way. I hope that Days of Our Lives will remain on NBC for many many years to come. It’s the only soap that I watch because there is no other soap that can hold a candle to Days.

myrr July 13, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I love Days of Our Lives. Just started watching this past winter after retiring from my career of over forty years. Love the story line with EJ and Sami and EJ and Nicole. Hope he gets together with one of them. He is really sexy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy July 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have watched Days since the first day it came on right after the “Doctors” Everyone has grown up, gotten old or died. They are filling the show with young people but still keep it exciting and i am sad when i have to miss it. Keep going!

jessica holt June 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

i am so very glad i have been watches days since i was 12 i am noew thirty and never miss a episode. pleas continue the show i reall need that quite time when i sit and watch my fav show,, thank you

Anne Gilbert July 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I really love watching days of our lives! I had to miss watching it because of the olympics this week july 27th 2012 episode was really exciting and I want to know what happens so please dont take days off the air, I dont know what I would do if they canceled the show!

thanks for all the exciting things on days!
Anne Gilbert

PAM ALLEN March 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I am very glad days of our lives is still going to be on

Lana Pratt January 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Hello,
I have been watching Days of our Lives since I was about 5 years old. It has been a very nice part of my life. I feel that NBC should be picking it up for more seasons than just through September 2013. I work two jobs and watch it every night on Soap Net. Please NBC keep Days of Our Lives for years to come. With Millions of viewers why would you want to cancel. I love the all the characters the story lines. It is a wonderful stress reliever and entertainment. Thanks for reading my comment.

Judy Scott September 23, 2011 at 11:43 am

I am very glad the show has been renewed. So many of the soaps have been replaced with
game shows . I am not a fan of these. I much prefer a good drama which Days delivers.

days fan September 21, 2011 at 11:55 am

I am so glad they are not going off the air. I am 50 years old and have been watching since I qA 17. Great show, always something going on.

Allyn Reynolds August 18, 2011 at 11:12 am

I love Days but I’m wonderinf why all the flashbacks are being shown? Also Adrian and Chloe are scheduled for a new show called Dirty Soap on E. What’s up?

Anonymous August 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I am not glad. Days is now boring. Pretty much the same ole been there done that soap. Everything that is being done is like dejavu. If Sammy hasnt done it EJ has. Or vice versa, why not end the suffering, better shows have met their maker, why not this one?

hilda July 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I’m super glad.

hilda July 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Im so glad we still have the serie for two more season I started watching when I came from cuba in 1980 and wow I loved. So im happy hell yeah more days of our lives.

slyon July 7, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I am very excited to hear that Days of Our Lives has been picked up for two more seasons. I am a big fan of this soap, and was also a huge fan of the other NBC soap Passions. I would be very upset if Days of Our Lives was also cancelled. I wish them all the best in the coming years!! I can’t wait to see what Days of Our Lives’ producers bring to the table. Thanks guys!

pat June 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Well I am new to watching but i m glad it is staying on….maybe I will get to know the characters better. LOL!

Ginger Blankenship April 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I am thrilled that Days has been extended for two more years. I am 39 yrs. old and have watched Days since I was around 5 or 6 with my grandmother. When I heard the show was being cancelled it was like I was losing a part of my family. This show serves as a source of relaxation after work for me. I have my Tivo set as a season pass, so I never miss an episode. In the event the electricity goes off I catch it on the internet. I’m addicted to Days. I can’t imagine my life without Days. I hope it never gets cancelled during my lifetime. I’ll be lost. I personally think the “Reality Show” fad is overrated. I hate reality shows. We live the reality of life daily and need some enjoyment daydreaming through the lives of the Brady’s, Horton’s, Dimera’s, etc…. I also feel the show underrates itself in that men also watch this show. My husband owns a coal truck and they discuss the show daily over their CB’s what has went on in the Days of Our Lives episodes. My husband comes home telling me about some of their discussions. Also, there is a younger audience that isn’t mentioned. My daughter (13) loves the show as well as my son who is 7. They watch it with me daily. I know of many teenagers around my daughter’s age who watch the show as well. Thanks so much for keeping this show on the air. It’s one of the few things I can relate back to my childhood on television today.