Deception: Cancelled, No Season Two

DeceptionIt looks like there won’t be a second season for NBC’s Deception. Deadline is reporting that the NBC TV series has been cancelled and is one of the first of the peacock’s shows to get the bad news.

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those weren’t great numbers but, for NBC, they’d be enough.

The ratings dropped by more than 20% in week two and they kept going down in subsequent weeks. During the course of its 11 week run, Deception fell as low as a 1.1 in the demo and 3.08 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and just couldn’t justify bringing the show back for a second season. Unfortunately, the defacto series finale, which aired on March 18th, left viewers with plenty of unanswered questions.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Deception has been cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on?

Canceled and renewed TV show

86 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Tmcneal says

Can you all please bring back a second season to continue the fanatic suspense of deception. Pleaseeeeeee me and my family love this show soo much please come back..I’ll watch it on twelve tvs if I have to. Second season please

2. Lenny says

What do you mean Deception has been canceled? You didn’t give it a chance. It was was a great show. The scheduled time needed to be earlier. All characters & story lines were captivating. Hope that it will be reconsidered and renewed.

3. says

I hate there is no season two. JoAnn and hotty Julian deserved a chance at love and to see if they made it. Everything was left hanging., however the writer’s could have speeded things up some added a little more action. And tell us why JoAnn was kidnapped by the Russian that did not talk, had the fight and lost 1/2 million dollars this was confusing scene. The show also needed a different day and time slot.

4. Sondra says

I’m so disappointed that “Deception” is canceled. Was looking so forward to season 2. The actors were hot and the storyline was gripping. Too bad they didn’t give it a real chance to succeed.

5. Anonymous says

Maybe try a different time slot I had to TiVo it every week cause I go to work at midnight. It was an awesome show and very disappointed that it has ended without giving it a chance

6. janet larsen says

I cannot believe that one of the best shows I have ever watched has been cancelled. I am devastated and think that with all the CRAP on tv NBC should reconsider and give Deception another chance. My husband and I were so looking forward to season 2 and I have told everyone about the show….please….please pretty please with sugar on top!

7. z says

I think Deception was one of the best shows I ever followed. My wife and I are very sad that the show will not be returning for a second season. I feel like I was just left hanging and I will NEVER know the end or what happened. AAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

8. Gwen says

I think the competition was to steep, with Scandel and all….I did enjoy Deception though, sad to hear it won’t be returning for season 2

9. Claudia Marvin says

Yes we need a season 2. We like the show and want to see it continue and be able to see an ending. There are too many series that we get started on and are dropped without bringing an end to it.

10. says

I can’t believe this is it ,please fine a home for it. The story is hanging we need a better way to finish the season. Take care of the fans…….I’m really upset !!!!!!!