Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Mimi Fischer March 19, 2013 at 9:40 am

RENEW!!!! There have been excellent episodes and lousy ones….but it is fun and should be given a real chance to keep growing!

Anonymous March 19, 2013 at 9:26 am

Renew!!!!!!

Vickie Crayton March 19, 2013 at 9:17 am

Please do not cancel this show. LOVE IT!!!!

Clow March 19, 2013 at 9:11 am

PLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE DO NOT CANCEL! I WATCHED THIS SHOW EVERY MONDAY NIGHT! EVEN MY MAN WATCHES IT AND IS HOOKED! THIS SHOW HAS TO COME BACK FOR A 2ND SEASON!! COME ON MEGAN AND LAZ, MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!

Dawn March 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

Renew!!!! I love Deception!!! And I MUST know!! Love all the characters!! Epecially Julian and joanna!!

Brenda C March 19, 2013 at 9:00 am

Please don’t cancel. It wasn’t promoted enough, I just happened across it while channel surfing. Was hooked after watching the first episode and caught up on the story with “on demand”. The story and characters keep the suspense building. It’s the one of the very few shows I watch each week. Give it a chance.

Charmane Hopkins March 19, 2013 at 8:51 am

I have being watching deception from the season pilot. I think the show is awesome. I am avid lover of mystery and suspense. Deception gives you all of that and more. I agree with the other comments. I am aware that most sitcoms of this nature are cliff hangers;however, please don’t leave us hanging. Renew! Renew! Renew!

Cockerham March 19, 2013 at 8:48 am

Great show! Since I love it they will probably cancel it and put some reality cap on in its place. Terrible time slot. Everyone I know complains about the time slot or they record it. I think it would definitely make it if they moved it to 9pm instead of 10.

sherry March 19, 2013 at 8:47 am

Renew plz plz plz

Sw March 19, 2013 at 8:43 am

Renew! Good show…need to have answers

Ginny Sparks March 19, 2013 at 8:41 am

Please do not cancel Deception. If it was on at 9PM, more people would probably watch it, because Ten PM is rather late for people who work. I am retired and plan my day (with a little nap) so I can watch Deception at Ten PM. This show keeps my attention and I look forwar to what happend the next week.

Don’t cancel.

Jane March 19, 2013 at 7:56 am

RENEW THE SHOW. Change the time slot, change the day. Love Scandal but really love Deception. It is a AWESOME, fantastic show, great storyline, love the finale, got more story life….so many question, so much potential. Did Robert really kill Vivian or is he covering for someone? Did Beverly reveal more to Julian? What is Julian going to do with the info about his mom? Does he alrady know about Joanna being a cop? Haverstock, my favorite….he becomes attorney general? What happens to Will’s partner? What about Edward? Mia missing? What is Wyatt going to do? Agree with the post, show needs to lean towards, a more dramtic crime show rather than a soap opera. NBC needs to get on Twitterland, have a prechat, post chat, Twitter parties, and have every single Deception actor needs to participate including Wes Brown…he probably will have the most fans, men an women love him…Scandal folks have mastered this, they even tweet as their TV characters…NBC pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee renew for season 2. Monday will not be the same without Deception

Salon March 19, 2013 at 9:22 am

Please renew!!! I am in love with this show. There are still so many unanswered questions.

ep March 19, 2013 at 7:18 am

Renew!! At least for a 2nd season to answer questions!

Annabel Brown March 19, 2013 at 6:29 am

I missed the first show but after seeing that episode On Demand I haven’t missed a episode since. The show will have to be renewed. Can’t leave us hanging.

Osoloso March 19, 2013 at 4:46 am

Deception is a good show but I knew they was doomed for the start.
First by putting it on Monday nights at 10. In order for a show like Deception to bring in viewers it should have been at en earlier time slot on a a different day
Second, Vivian’s killer should have been found by episode 8. The season should have ended with Johanna getting a new case, while trying to fix the broken relationship between her and Julian (he learns she is a cop). While on her new case which she is undercover again it brings her right back to the Bower family by plot building circumstances.
Third, the cast is probably too hot for NBC to afford. Think about it…majority of the cast is good looking to to hot. Even the extras were good looking.

Robin March 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I agree with you, time and day could be changed to give it a better chance! The show is good, has great potential and It really is an outstanding cast.