Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Michelle March 19, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’m really hoping NBC will renew Deception. I love the show! The story line has so many twists and turns! Please bring it back!!

Dottie March 19, 2013 at 10:53 am

I love this show and really hope to see it back again! Love the characters and the story! I never missed one episode! PLEASE bring it back!

Tammy March 19, 2013 at 10:52 am

I thought at first this show wouldn’t last but now that I’ve been watching it every episode keeps getting better and better. come on NBC keep this show!

lamar thomas March 19, 2013 at 10:49 am

i hope it start a new season because it is a good tv show to start a new series

Anonymous March 19, 2013 at 10:44 am

Love Deception

Richard March 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

Please keep this show going. My wife and I loved it. Last nights finale left me with too many questions. C’mon NBC keep the show on. That damn dirty cop is screwing everything up.

Jenny March 19, 2013 at 10:39 am

I’ve never gotten into a show as much as I got into, “Deception”! I will be so upset if there isn’t a second season! -fingers crossed-

Anonymous March 19, 2013 at 10:36 am

renew please!!!!
We need to know who killed Vivan Bowers and what will happened to father .This show is so good. It is the only tv show I was besides reality tv. As far as the rating I think if it would come on at 8 instead of 10 it would be better. But please renew for a second season

Erica March 19, 2013 at 10:35 am

Love deception! Needs a second season, you should already be filming it! Not everyone in America wants to watch ppl competing rather there dancing or singing or juggling something! Some of live for greys anatomy, scandal,law and order, revenge, and now deception! We like real tv shows, where you can relate to characters on the show, and at the end of every episode you can’t believe that you have to wait another week! Like someone said in there above comments there needs to be more press for the show, twitter party’s with the actors, get everyone buzzing about it! It’s defiantly not fair to your faithful viewers to get us hooked on a show then cancel!

susan March 19, 2013 at 10:24 am

great storyline. Please renew. Both my husband and I love this story. All actors are good and ebelieveable especially young daughter Mia.

Yolanda Cole March 19, 2013 at 10:22 am

I love Deception. I think NBC should renew it for a 2nd season. I think if they renew the show it will give the audience something to look forward to other than Law and Order. Please renew…….

Gulia March 19, 2013 at 10:19 am

This was an amazing show! I hope it continues for another season. There has to be more to the ending than what we saw last evening. NBC was the hottest network at one time. I dont understand why they chose to bring back shows like SMASH and Biggest Loser which were boring. Law and Order and Parenthood are great shows like Deception hopefully they keep these shows.

Connie March 19, 2013 at 9:46 am

Deception has to have a second season. OMG. The show is sooooo good.

Antione Mercer March 19, 2013 at 9:45 am

RENEW RENEW RENEW!!!!!

Deception started off rocky, but after the third episodoe it has found its way and is steading the course. The story line of the show has gotten msysterious and intense and often keeps me on the edge of my seat. The season finale was AWESOME!!!!! I hope its renewed for the second season as i’m sure the viewer ratings will pick up, once people see this show has staying power!

kathy March 19, 2013 at 9:42 am

I am hoping that the show does get renewed, but NBC doesn’t have patience to keep any show very long. The only shows that were kept forever was law and order and I don’t dislike law and order, but they over killed them.
NBC (WAKE UP!) Give these shows at least a second season?????? There aren’t very many of your shows I do watch anymore and you really don’t give your audience a chance to know about the new shows or really, I can’t think of any show, but “Grimm” that I do like and I look forward weekly to watch “Deception” luv it luv it luv it!!!!!

KEEP THE SHOW FGS REALLY!!!!

Thanks