Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Kelly March 19, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Please, please, please renew! There are too many unanswered questions and we deserve to know who killed who and how. I have to admit, it seemed like there were more “bad guys” than “good guys” but it was still a very good show. And we’re left not knowing who to trust or just how “bad” these people really are. Please don’t allow this good show to not come back. NBC seems to not give shows a chance before pulling the plug. So listen to the viewers and give it another season!

Anonymous March 27, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Please keep the show running! I love it and actually showed it to my friend and she watched all of them and is now caught up. We need to see what happens. Lots of good characters to grow other stories from as well.

Butterfly March 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I look forward to watching show every Monday- Please NBC keep this show onboard!!!

Butterfly

Renee March 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm

KEEP THE SHOW AT LEAST FOR ANOTHER SEASON! Too many unanswered questions. Usually shows have a little more r=wrap-up before ending. This one will end in the middle of the various story lines and leave a bad taste for NBC writers. Good actors do not deserve that kind of treatment.

Corinna March 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I think they should keep Deception on for another season. I really enjoyed it and would love to see what happens next. I’ll be very disappointed if I can’t see what happens next.

Jordan March 19, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Please don’t cancel. Atleast give it one more season to finish the story.

Susan March 19, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I really enjoyed this show. Hopefully they will renew it and give it a more suitable time slot. Monday night and Sunday nights I have to juggle other shows I already am into, so I watch Deception the very next day on demand. Tuesday or Friday time slots would be preferable. I don’t get why network execs like to put the same type of shows on the same time slot to compete against each other. That’s sheer stupidity, the new shows never stand a chance against other established shows in the same genre. Change the time slot but renew the show!! All these actors are fabulous together!

tori March 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I love Deception!!! Please don’t cancel!

hailey March 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm

deception has to come back with an ending like that there is so much more to the story…what happened to the mother did the father kill her too, what is going to happen to mia and are they going to get vivian’s killer and is who is johana going to end up with!?! so many questions that need to be answered!!!!

Rona March 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I love Deception. I look forward to it every week. I agree with other watchers that there is so much left unknown it has to continue. I think part of the problem is the time that it is aired. If you don’t have a DVR to record it, it is pretty late to stay up on a Monday night. Please give it a second chance.

Samantha March 19, 2013 at 2:41 pm

RENEW PLEASE I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH!!!!!!

Michelle March 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Definitely!! Another Season will get more viewers attention. And the show needs to be advertised more for viewers to know that it’s on. Absolutely loved it and am hooked!

Kim March 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Renew, I think it has the ratings, people are just streaming instead of live tv. It would be nice to get all the questions answered. As it is it was another waste of time following a show that just gets canceled. It would be nice if the show is going to be canceled the networks at least bring it back to wrap things up.

Tammy March 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Please keep Deception on NBS. It’s a great show with a great storyline. Maybe Monday night wasn’t a good night for a new show so before you just cancel the show…move it to another night.

Sue March 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL DECEPTION

A Porter March 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Season 2 Pleaseeeeee! Started off slow but so did scandal and look at it now!