Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

CAN March 20, 2013 at 2:27 am

This show must be aired for a second season, as a viewer, I would be upset but more importantly I would be left with absolutely no type of closure. Deception is by far, the best show that I have ever seen. Get real and keep the show going for a second season! It’s about us, not you!

Janner March 20, 2013 at 2:24 am

This show should be renewed! It’s title is perfect as there was deception everywhere you looked. My husband and I weren’t sure what we thought when we saw the pilot, nevertheless, we decided to watch one more episode and then we were hooked. There are so many twists and turns that you can hardly keep up! We have looked forward to each new episode eagerly. After watching tonight’s last episode, I googled to see when the next season would start and discovered that the show may be canceled. The powers that be….please renew and give it a chance!

Ed March 20, 2013 at 2:06 am

Awesome show! Maybe it needed more PR time from NBC. Whatever the case, I hope this show gets picked-up for at least another season so us faithful viewers can have some closure as to who killed Vivian Bowers! My wife and I have had this on our top 3 shows for the past few months, with “Chicago Fire” and “Criminal Minds” being the others. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL “DECEPTION”!!!

Rose Lesniewski March 20, 2013 at 2:03 am

Great show I love it!!!! Can hardly wait till Tuesday night. Don’t cancel and live us in the dark… Give it another year!!!

Dee March 20, 2013 at 2:03 am

No, please do not cancel Deception. I love this show, and would definitely watch season 2.

adrian March 20, 2013 at 2:02 am

This show is one suspenseful episode after another. Please pleasedon.t cancel. I look forward to Monday night’s. It started slow with not much publicityto get folks awarebut now we r hooked. NBC take a chance on this one. U keep changing and u will end up loosing Monday night fan attention.please dont stop a Great thing.

Rebecca March 20, 2013 at 2:02 am

Don’t cancel! Not after how it ended! Too many open endings! Good show! Shame it didnt get the ratings it deserved!

Rose Lesniewski March 20, 2013 at 2:01 am

Great show I love it !!!! One of the best give it a chance, I know it will be a hit next season.

Anonymous March 20, 2013 at 1:55 am

Renew please great show

Jen March 20, 2013 at 1:48 am

They should definitely give Deception a second season. It’s a great show and NBC needs to give shows a chance to develop and gain an audience.

David March 20, 2013 at 1:39 am

This show is awesome! Don’t give it the ax! So many shows get axed too quickly and it’s frustrating to get into a show and then it doesn’t come back for another season. This is a great show and it deserves to stay.

Anonymous March 20, 2013 at 1:38 am

Please do not cancel this show!!!!!

Kathy March 20, 2013 at 1:35 am

Please don’t cancel deception. It’s the best show!! Bring it back for a second season

Nicole March 20, 2013 at 1:35 am

I absolutely love this show. I am counting down the days until each new episode, and I will be so sad if there is not a season 2! Julian and Joanna make a hot couple! LOVE IT!!!

2013 Cincinnati March 20, 2013 at 1:34 am

I really love this show and would like to see more of an ending then the way it ended this season the show is full of scercts that people who do enjoy the show are waiting to find out the truth about I am a big fan of the show and really wish that they will give it another chance…pls