Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Karan Wright March 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I am a very “picky” viewer and I though Deception was awesome. If you are into mysteries that have great romantic storylines, then this is the show for you. I’m very surprised that the ratings weren’t a lot higher, as along with the above-average story-line the cast was outstanding. I hope that it gets renewed to a Season Two because it’s the kind of show that . . . . . ONLY GETS BETTER WITH TIME !!

denise March 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm

NBC would be crazy to cancel this show. Deception is great to watch.

Brenda March 21, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Please renew.

Brenda March 21, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Please renew Deception for second season. I can’t wait for Monday nights to see the show, I enjoy watching the Bowers to see what they are going to do next.

Terri March 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm

LOVE THIS SHOW IT WAS AWESOME I HATED TO SEE IT END!!

brittany March 21, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Don’t cancel the show it has a good story plot.
And it would not be fair to watch and not have my questions answered. I feel like nbc didn’t give the show a chance.

micaela March 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Cancel ?!?!! What !!!! Oh noo thid show is truly amazing pls don’t cancel. Its full of suspense always has me on my toes. Thr onlu thing it comes on to late n I eish it would play re rund and have more commercials. N wish it was longer than two episodes. Keep it around nvc u won’t regret

Candida Diaz March 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Yes!! there has to be a season 2!!! this is my favorite monday night show, i always DVR it if i cant watch it while its airing!! i love this show, my entire family watches it, every week it has you at the edge of your seat wondering whats going to happen next!!!

Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm

RENEW DECEPTION NBC!

JD March 21, 2013 at 12:29 pm

AGREE WITH BAD TIME SLOT. GIVE THIS BABY A NEW DATE AND TIME.

JD March 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Absolutely LOVE Deception. It gets better every episode. ACTORS AMAZING. Love GOOD, she’s beautiful, her love triangle so good. All the relationships are so complex: it’s DELISH. PLEASE RENEW. GIVE ANOTHER SHOT, this show deserves it. TATE DONOVAN, simply an amazing actor in every way.

chris March 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL DECEPTION. This is a great show bring it back for another season.

DEE DEE March 21, 2013 at 10:29 am

OH NO!!!!…Please do not cancel Deception…Love the show and a great storyline….Evidently, NBC needs to do a more better job advertising the show…I lOVE Deception and would love to see it for MORE seasons to come….I think NBC may need to move it up earlier 9:00PM or switch it to Wednesdays @ 8:00PM….But, PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THE SHOW….LET’S SEE IT FOR MORE SEASONS, NBC…..Geez……These networks need to realize that NOt EVERYONE WANTS TO WATCH REALITY TV EVERYTIME…

Sandy March 21, 2013 at 8:58 am

Definitely need to renew Deception….

Raina March 21, 2013 at 8:56 am

This show suffered bad ratings due to:
Poor advertising ( I found it purely by accident on Hulu)
Bad time slot ( give it a chance and place it in a prime spot)
Also once people start speculating about a show getting cancelled, we as viewers tend to give up on it. No one wants to get through a fabulous show season to end up disappointed and left hanging with no closure.
Too many great shows go by the wayside too quickly these days. The networks have to give shows a 2 season minimum to really know how a show is doing. I personally am sick and tired of watching new shows and then finding them gone the following season. I now prefer watching shows that are well into there season two or three and finding the earlier missed episodes on the Internet. Not only that, Who is responsible for keeping track of these numbers?
A couple of years ago, I received a packet to participate in a survey about what I watched and inevitably forgot to fill In the paperwork at the time of viewing, due to the fact that I would have to be up early to work the next day. If I participated now it would be different. I would fill out the paperwork honestly and not just check off the shows I remembered later due to them being further along than their first season. I think that a more reliable source needs to be implemented so that ratings are true!!
Why not come up with devices that plug into the TV and home computer and track what shows people are watching live and through services like Hulu and Netflix. Many times I catch up on my tv episodes through these Internet services simply because I may not be home during the scheduled airtime. This is the new trend for most households due to family life, the economy and having to work longer hours. Now most households with children are just so busy with sports, homework, squeezing in a little family time etc, not only that, when the kids get home instead of fighting over who gets to watch what, we find it just simpler to let them watch TV until bedtime( even though each child is equipped with their own tv in each of their rooms!). At least this way we get to spend some time together. On that note;
GIVE THE SHOW A FIGHTING CHANCE, PLEASE!!!!
Before I give up on prime time network television altogether:(