Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Texas2 March 25, 2013 at 9:40 am

Please do not cancel this show. Give it a second season. Remember, Friends and Sienfield did not hit big ratings in their first year and look what happened. Why not give Deception a chance to grow with the fan base. Also, look at what ABC almost did with Scandal. They almost cancelled Scandal, due to the first season ratings. What a mistake they would have made. Please don’t do this to the fans of this show. What can we do as fans to ensure there is a season 2?

carolyn March 25, 2013 at 8:46 am

I dont watch tv at all but I love to watch the show if I miss it I could just see it on hulu pluse. Dont do this to us fans, we all want know what happens next!

Zelda Ehrenreich March 25, 2013 at 5:12 am

Please dont cancel let us have a Season 2 really great show and it keeps you on the edge of your seat and this comes all the way from South Africa. Mwah

Ashley j March 25, 2013 at 1:34 am

Deception has to come back it was a great show from the beginning .I’m dying up find out what’s going on you can’t leave people hanging. I faithfully watched it every week. Megan Good and Laz Alonzo are great actors and make the show and does the other cast members. Personally opinion GREAT SHOW DEFINITELY NEED A SEASON 2!!!!!!!!

Nate March 25, 2013 at 1:21 am

I am not a TV person but this show is great!!!!!

Bonner March 25, 2013 at 12:48 am

I really am enjoying the show more and more each week – please bring it back as I have to know who really is bad and who isn’t – Please

jody March 24, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Don’t take it away.. its a good show…The FOX CHANNEL is good f
or taking off good shows… they got rid of DRIVE a few years back… dn
t be like fox… we love deception.. I’m very disapointed is not on tomorrow.

chelle March 24, 2013 at 9:32 pm

PLEASE GIVE IT ANITHER SEASON THIS SHOW IS GREAT!!!! I RECORD IT ON MY DVR WHEN I CAN’T CATCH IT! I LOVE THIS SHOW

Alison March 24, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Please give this show a chance! Maybe the finale was rushed because they felt pressured to do something in case they were cancelled. Can’t always make the best decisions when there’s a gun to your back….
Please, I watch it on iTunes. I can’t wait to turn on my iPad and watch it on tuesdays!! Please please DO NOT cancel.

Penelope Madine March 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Wrong day and time slot,try fridays

mis March 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Loved it, need to know what’s gonna happen next!!!

cece March 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Atleast give it another season. Cancelling it after one season is barley giving it time to breathe! How bout we give it another season and go from there?

Lydia March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am

I will boycott NBC if they cancel Deception.

j March 24, 2013 at 9:42 am