Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

barbara March 27, 2013 at 12:33 am

This is a grown up drama please bring deception back.

Jaquisha March 26, 2013 at 11:25 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL DECEPTION…. I love this show… I hop into Bowers mode every Monday night… I look soo forward to it… Please give it another chance. There are alot of other shows that shouldn’t even be on tv bc they have no potential what so ever and Deception gets bad wraps for WHAT!!!!

LR March 26, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Really hoping this show is renewed. I understand the comparison to Revenge, but it is different and with different dynamics. The surface of the show has only been scratched, and so many of us are itching for a second season! I never watch tv when it’s on, I watch it on Hulu Plus when I have time. Please don’t cancel the show. If NBC cancels, I hope another network picks it up. I love it!

Pam March 26, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Please Do Not Cancel Deception,I love it & look forward to it every week!!

Anonymous March 26, 2013 at 10:41 pm

PLEASE BRING A SECOND SEASON OF DECEPTION! Such a catchy show. The ending left so many questions unanswered and left viewers wanting more. DO NOT CANCEL!

Beth March 26, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I really wish the powers that be would take into account the number of people who record shows like Deception and watch it at their leisure. It is a terrific show!

Ksburton March 26, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Please don’t cancel Despection its a great show took a little long to get to the story line but atleast finish it out.

Bev March 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Keep Deception running just getting interesting its full of drama like an evening soap.I
watch it on the internet as probably many do..I’m not sure if thats included in your ratings.Please do NOT cancel.Try give it more time!!!!!

Orkidia March 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL DECEPTION!!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Josee March 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Please o to cancel,this show is so amazing

Steve O'Dell March 26, 2013 at 8:13 pm

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL DECEPTION!!! I know its ratings weren’t great but it had stiff competition its first season.. I’m sure it will do better its second season in a more suitable time slot. BRING DECEPTION BACK FOR A SECOND SEASON SECOND CHANCE!!!

jade March 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm

dont cancel!! i usually watch it on hulu i have cable and dont ger the channel but i love the showww!!!

Dawn March 26, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Do not cancel, it is a great show that I looked forward to each week.

JCMorris March 26, 2013 at 6:41 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL Deception! Viewers should NOT compare it to Scandol just because there are two beautiful and talented African American lead stars. The two series are totally different in story lines. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL DECEPTION!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen March 26, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Please DO NOT CANCEL Deception. It is a refreshing change from everything else that’s on now!