Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Kelly March 27, 2013 at 10:23 pm

No dont cancel the show. its so good and i never watch network tv! DONT CANCEL!

Irene GriestTmpigri March 27, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Please do not cancel. I watched all the episodes and I love the show.

Nadege March 27, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Please don’t cancel Deception, I love it and it’s been a while since I’ve found a show that I like and willing to stay up late to watch

Anonymous March 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Love the show.Please do not cancel.

deb March 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm

don’t cancel the show it seems like all the shows I like get cancelled

Michael March 27, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Give It Another Chance, We Know It Started Off Slow But Got So Much Better. There Is So Much They Can Do With This Show For A Second Season. Hey Thnk Back To Shows Like Friends & Whjtney, They Were Gonna Cancel The Shows But Kept Them Going & Ya See They Were Right. Let It Go For Another Season. You’ll Have More Fans Than You Have Now, Trust Me.

vicki March 27, 2013 at 4:56 pm

MY husband and I have seen all the episodes of Deception and we love it. I hope it will continue for another season, PLEASE! Don’t leave us in a mystery!

Camille March 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Please don’t cancel. This is a great show and I’m enjoying the characters along with the plot’s twists and turns. Despite a lot of competition in that time-slot, Deception has held its own. Keep the show on the air, please:-)

susan March 27, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Please don’t cancel !!!

Debbie March 27, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Please don’t cancel this show NBC! It has a great cast and a great storyline! Stop cancelling shows before they gain any footing! Thanks!

Angela March 27, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I schedule my Monday evenings around this show and I find it very interesting. The story is full of twists that keep me wondering what will happen next. I really want to see this story wrap up so please have another season.

carrie March 27, 2013 at 12:01 pm

love this show they always cancel every show that i love to watch i hope they don’t cancel this one. i only watch this show and one other show. but hope they don’t cancel it

TinkB99 March 27, 2013 at 10:56 am

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL!!!

khyla evans March 27, 2013 at 10:48 am

I think you should keep the show for another season because I really love the show and can’t wait to see what happens next

Missy March 27, 2013 at 9:21 am

I watch this show on Hulu the next day, please dont cancel! At least finish out this season. I don’t get to see any of my shows until my kids are in bed and my homework is done. I rely on Hulu for that, and I love getting to see allmy shows is in three magical hours. Deception, modern family, new girl, and hells kitchen. PLEASE DONT CANCEL!

Mike March 27, 2013 at 8:23 am

Please dont cancell deception getting tired of watching shows like Louie Anderson Cant Swim and C Rated Stars Cant Dance…plus the black girl is SUPER Hot!!

nik March 28, 2013 at 5:47 am

I like d show kind of slow still need to no who d killer and will they find out abt d officer so we need a sec season…