Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

denise March 29, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Can’t wait for deception to come to dvd soon please don’.t cancel this show it is great

Show lover March 29, 2013 at 10:28 am

Deception is a really good show, it shouldn’t be cancelled. I wish that NBC keep the series going.

EG March 28, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Don’t cancel!!!!!

Elise Blair March 28, 2013 at 10:20 pm

What can we do to save this show. I just watched it all on demand. Had no idea it was on . Not enough promotion. I would have watched had I known . Now I know, I will watch.

Jack March 29, 2013 at 5:04 am

Please give it a chance, I agree this show should have had more promotion, I love it and if I do not get a chance to watch it the night it comes on, I watch it later on demand to catch up. Love these guys and please do not cancel the show, I also think it will do better in a different time slot. Love you guys good luck.

Steph March 28, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Don’t leave us at this cliff hanger!! Great show and cast- keep going!!!!

Monica March 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I am enjoying it, give it a chance.

Anonymous March 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Love it and don’t cancel it!

Lynn March 28, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Don’t cancel. I love it! The plot has many twists and turns and very unpredictable. Give it a chance!!

diana mccray March 28, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Please donot cancel deception – the cast is great. Just need to write a better script-
for the cast -

Shay Mitchell March 29, 2013 at 1:10 am

I agree!!! The cast is great, the writers, not so much! The show should be called Confusion. In just 11 episodes went from Julian, to Edward to Audrey to Haverstock to Sophia to Robert as potential/actual killers. That is WAY too much to follow!!! I get that they want to keep us guess but this is a bit extreme. They should know that most people don’t like complicated when it comes to t.v. shows. We like a little mystery to tease us but this we more like a never ending game of clue.

I hope they renew but get new writers who actually understand their audience.

nc March 28, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I love Deception and really hope it will not be cancelled. Luv that Laz Alonzo. He’s a cutie pie!!! For the guys Megan Good is easy on the eyes.

Nora March 28, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Please don’t cancel this show. Give it time to build an audience they way networks used to do back in the days of SEINFELD or tons of other classic television shows! It would be better at 9pm than 10pm but it is well written, beautifully acted and shouldn’t be placed opposite two long-running hit cop shows (HAWAII 5-0 and CASTLE). Give it a chance to build!!!!!! Its so much better than REVENGE in every way!!!

Kathy March 28, 2013 at 7:56 am

Love this show. If it were to be slated for cancellation, how could one try to prevent that? I can’t watch it on the night it comes on so I always catch it on Hulu when I can. Wonder of that shows as part of the ratings.

SaChez March 28, 2013 at 1:13 am

I just started watching deception On-Demand and I must say I’m kicking myself for not watching it sooner. This show rocks and the name deception is perfect because there are so many twists and turns, just when you think you can trust one of the characters, you find yourself deceived. I love this show!!! PLEASE don’t cancel it.

Elise Blair March 28, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Me too! Can’t believe I didn’t watch it when it was airing.

Barb March 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Please don’t cancel Deception. The storyline is well written and the actors are really, really good. Give the show a chance to grow and gain viewership.

Anonymous March 27, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Do not cancel a series in the middle…what kind of loyalty does that show your loyal viewers? Deception has an interesting and intriguing story plot and it would be a shame to close down shop in the middle. I love this show and would really like to see it through…PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!