Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

corey bolt April 8, 2013 at 11:40 am

need to come back

Aileen Foster April 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

I think it’s a great show. Please have another season?
Monday night or Friday should do the trick.

Thanks

april April 8, 2013 at 9:01 am

DECEPTION needs to be renewed. The show started out very slow and confusing but the last few episodes as well as the characters have become very very interesting.

Marvalyn April 8, 2013 at 8:33 am

Please, continue airing DECEPTION! It is one of the best prime time dramas on Monday night. Did anyone consider not competing with Monday night football. This is a great TV drama that could be as good as Thursday nights Scandal. I believe if given a chance Deception ratings will increase.

carmen April 8, 2013 at 6:29 am

Please don’t cancel deception…..Love it!

geneva April 8, 2013 at 12:48 am

Deception is agreat who done it show! I want to see what happens next! Please dont cancel the show! Plus now that joanne and Julien are together…i wanta a see how they last! And i really hope they do! And what really happened…id be upset if u cancel…thwn what would i watch

Lenea April 7, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Deception is a great show and does not need to be cancelled. Please bring it back for a second season the plot was great and continued each week it needs to come back now. The show that replaced it is not a match.

Tycole35 April 7, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I am the same. What is the purpose of my DVR, on demand and hulu subscription if I have to be tied to my television every time a show airs.

Tycole35 April 7, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I am really tired of networks starting shows and not finishing them. If u want it ratings to improve give the audience a chance. Do not cancel the show without at least letting u know what happened. You’ve wasted 3 months of my life wasting time watching if you’re cancelling before giving th Shi a chance.

Cha Cha April 7, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Love, Love, Love the show!!!! Please do not cancel. We need to see what will unfold in Season 2. Don’t give up on the show just yet.

Roxie April 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Please keep this show on the air. I may not be able to watch the show at the allocated time but I catch up on the episodes through Comcast on Demand. I can’t get enough of it and I have spread the word out to others, some say they have not heard of the show. I agree with one of the other posters when they mentioned that it needs to be advertised more. If the network is quick to take off the show without analyzing all of the factors this will make their investment in vain and put the fans at a loss. One more season with additional advertisement is needed especially when I hear others saying they had not heard of this wonderful gem. Please keep the show on the air. The fans need to conjugate and put it out on Facebook, Twitter and any other sites to bring attention to this show. Tell us what we can do as a fan base to keep this going.

Terri April 7, 2013 at 9:08 am

Please keep this show I love it

Sara April 7, 2013 at 8:14 am

Please don’t cancel the show this is unfair :( I’m already hooked

Tucker April 7, 2013 at 8:06 am

Please do not cancel Deception. I DVR and purchase via iTunes. I rarely watch shows durin the timeslot that they are aired. That is not a good evaluation or ratings. Victor Garber and the cast are amazing. Give it a chance.

Kim April 7, 2013 at 12:54 am

I just finished watching all 11 episodes on demand. I love this show and want more. The actors are great. The twists keep coming. And the fans have spoken. This show must be renewed!!!!!!