Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Anonymous April 12, 2013 at 11:17 am

I just watched the first season On Demand, and it is a great show. The cast is hot, Tate does a great job directing, and can’t wait to see who actually did it with all the twist; it’s anyone’s guess. Please return the show for a second season!!!!!

Anonymous April 12, 2013 at 11:15 am

Carolina Girl April 11, 2013 at 5:32 pm

LOVE THIS SHOW!! I DVR THE EPISODES AND WATCH ON THE WEEKENDS. THIS IS MY FAVORITE SHOW THAT AIRS DURING THE WEEK. I HAVE ALWAYS WATCHED ONLY MOVIES–NOT A SERIES, BUT THIS ONE IS TOO GOOD TO PASS UP. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE NAME OF THE SONG THAT WAS PLAYED SEASON 1 FINALE during the scene when Eddie Bowers’ wife had to be unplugged? I would like the CD name and performer, also.

Anonymous April 11, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I REALLY LOVE SHOW PLEASE, PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Linda K. April 11, 2013 at 1:00 pm

PLLLEEEAAASSSEEEE bring this show back!!! It was SO good!!!! At least bring it back and finish the story! Y’all can’t just leave us hanging like that! The ratings may not be up to par for the show biz ppl… but this show is up to par with the little viewers y’all got! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not cancel this show!!! I enjoyed it very much!!!!

VERY GREAT CAST and it keeps me at the edge of my seat with all these crazy twists!

Amanda April 11, 2013 at 3:11 am

I think they should do a season 2 but move it to another night; you cant have it go against a powerful show like Revenge when it’s in its 2nd season! And yes just because The Playboy Club had better ratings doesnt mean it was a better show–cause it wasnt! It was definitively cancelled which I cant believe it was eve on NBC in the first place it should’ve been on FOX, or MTV for goodness sake! NBC is a family network right?
Anyway, this show should come back….period!

RT April 11, 2013 at 12:57 am

I love this show. I gotta know what happens next. Please don’t cancel!

Anonymous April 11, 2013 at 12:07 am

This show is so compelling I will be devastated if it gets cancelled!

Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm

don’t cancel this show i really enjoy this show please keep showing

Jenel Martin April 10, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Yesssssss, Love the show, my mom doestoo. We always discuss each episode after we watch. Please bring it back!!!

Hjansky April 10, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Deception should definitely be renewed for season 2!! If not, I agree at least finish the story, but would love the seasons to keep on goin.

Amy Reinstein April 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I definitely think there should be a season two, I did not watch it on the night it aired but I would watch it on demand after it aired.

Tracy Doman April 10, 2013 at 11:59 am

Deception…..is a great show…..a season 2 needs to be aired

VLSmith April 10, 2013 at 6:06 am

I love this show, but couldn’t see it going on for another season. It seemed like a one season mini-series. But please at least finish the story.

Bam Carle April 9, 2013 at 11:46 pm

The fact that DECEPTION and SMASH are the only shows I watch on network tv should say something…it really deserves a season two. Great cast.