Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Lisa April 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

This is one of the better shows that’s on tv…I saw the previews for it and was hooked. Now I’m TOTALLY hooked and can’t wait for Season 2. Don’t cancel it, let it run and see how it plays out. I’m sure it would catch on.

Tiara April 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Please renew…..I must know who killed Vivian!

T.Taylor April 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW PLEASE CONTINUE IT!!!!!!!! FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR IT TO COME ON NBC. PLEASE DONT TELL ME THE LAST ESPISODE MAY HAVE BEEN THE FINALE EPISODE

Grandma April 15, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Please bring it back! It is one of my husband’s and my favorite shows!!

Anonymous April 15, 2013 at 6:32 pm

don’t cancel i love this show!!!!!!!

Christie April 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm

You must do another season! I thought the show was great and there needs to be a final show to know what happens with the story…I would record the shows and watch it the next day, I hope that still gives the ratings!

Anonymous April 15, 2013 at 7:49 am

please do another more season of deception

Giselle April 15, 2013 at 3:22 am

I absolutely love this show & can’t wait to find out whats gonna happen next. They should it another chance and time slot is everything. If they want the show to work they should give it its best shot at doing so. Its dissappointing that they don’t give their best for a show and then just cancel it. We the viewers just get hooked on something then they cancel it, its not our fault that they don’t do their best

Anonymous April 15, 2013 at 12:20 am

PLEASE don cancel deception!!! love love love this show!!!

DaMarkus April 14, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Not a bad show at all. They shuld renew it. NBC cancels way 2 many shows anyway. Atleast this one could actually turn out to be very intriguing

CAROL April 14, 2013 at 8:19 pm

GREAT SHOW. PLEASE BRING IT BACK FOR ANOTHER SEASON.

Shirell April 14, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Bring it back definitely! My mom and I were addicted to that show every Monday night. Plus, we need to know what happens to Mia and everyone else.

Patricia April 14, 2013 at 7:29 pm

They should bring it back. OR at least order a few more episodes to finish the storyline. I liked it. I think the time slot is what did it in. NBC seems to be in trouble. When they introduced Deception, they should have put it in its best time slot and move that shoe one hour up.

mike April 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Bring it back! I haven’t been so into a show in years. This is a really great show and I have no idea why the numbers are so low.

pat April 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm

please at least bring it back and give us some answers . I love this show

deanna April 14, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Give it another shot. I think the reason that it doesn’t have many viewers was because of its late time slot. It is on mondays at 10:00pm. Late for many early risers. Nbc should change it up to 9:00 and see if there is a change. I can’t imagine that I am the only person who loves this show. How do ratings work with watching things on demand(comcast) or recording shows. Does that still show in the ratings?