Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Tasha April 18, 2013 at 1:07 am

Love this show. Please comeback for another season. I started watching it after the season ended on HULU, watched the entire season in three days, can’t wait for season two. Will be watching it on NBC for season two as soon as it airs. Please bring Deception back. I am sick and tired of the reality shows!!!!

Jo April 17, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Don’t cancel the show it’s one of my favorites!!! Find a less popular time slot, networks that continue to cancel shows during or after the first season is the reason I’m hesitant to start watching a new show. You get pulled in only to never know what happens, this is not a sustainable model especially with all of the options out there to watch.

Dorothy April 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

PLEASE don’t cancel this show. This show is GREAT! I enjoyed watching every single eposide as there was always a twist in the storyline.

C April 17, 2013 at 3:31 am

Don’t cancel it! I really like the show…but I also liked The Firm and ABC’s Missing….:-(

Anonymous April 17, 2013 at 3:29 am

Yes, I really liked the show…but anyway, I also liked The firm and ABC’s Missing….:-(

chantrice April 17, 2013 at 1:35 am

absolutely love this show can’t wait to see what happens next. Do tv networks take into consideration that people may watch episodes that they have missed on hulu or netflix using a computer or game system and not just dvrs?

Beverly April 16, 2013 at 9:04 pm

The first couple of episodes weren’t that good, but I stuck with it, and it got much better. Please bring it back.

Gerry April 16, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I enjoyed this show and I’m curious to see how everything turns out! Please don’t cancel this show.

Michele April 16, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I really enjoyed watching this show and I am also eager to find out how this shows turns out! I was surprised to see that it is in jeopardy of cancelling. I was actually looking for the next show and found this site. So sad, so sad!

Drofhm April 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Deception is a very intriguing show. I look forward to seeing it each week. Certainly is a far cry better than Revenge and Body of Proof. Please give it a chance and have a season 2.

Amanda April 16, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Please don’t cancel this show it’s the best show there is on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jayce April 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Please bring it back I’ve been waiting weeks for the new episode…just give it a chance personally better than scandal and body of proof,,, after losing desperate housewives I finally had a show to come home and enjoy..please bring deception back

Anonymous April 16, 2013 at 6:57 am

This show is great! It would be wrong of NBC to leave us hanging after only airing 11 episodes. If you give it a chance maybe it will catch on.

Saleema April 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm

This show is amazing!!!!! DO NOT CANCEL!!!!
One of the best shows ever!!! It’s full of excitement
And trill and disappointment and love.
Everything people want to see, this show pulls you in and you can’t wait
Until next Monday!!!!

Ken Ward April 17, 2013 at 12:35 am

PLEASE , PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Do not take it off. It’s one of the only shows I look forward to. Ward

Monique April 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Bring it back. I enjoyed watching it and I am curious to see how everything turns out! When NBC cancelled The Event, I was very dissappointed. Please don’t do that to another good show.

Purpose April 19, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I miss the Event too. I was so diappointed when they turned this show off. This was one of the best shows NBC had on. So many of my co-workers was watching this show too and was disaapointed it went off the air.