Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Nass May 12, 2013 at 11:10 am

DECEPTION should move toThursday’s and come on right befor SCANDAL!!!!!!PLEASE freely sign this show over to Shonda! Shonda and her Team can so do it! Good idea…..I know. Lol! Don’t forget my cameo spot. Just kidding. Think on it.SAVE IT TO SELL IT!!

Anonymous May 11, 2013 at 2:44 am

please do not do not cancel this show. its different, entertaining, i love all the character and the storyline.

Anonymous May 9, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Please DO NOT cancel Deception. Viewers LOVE the show, the characters & storyline!

Quinci May 9, 2013 at 12:31 am

NBC, please don’t cancel this DECEPTION!!! I love it, it’s NBC’s version of Scandal. I’m already vested in the characters and the story line. It has a great story line that keeps you guessing. I just feel like NBC doesn’t do enough advertising for some of their dramas like they do the comedies. Try putting it on the same night as Parenthoood and see how the ratings go. I would suggest that NBC try switching it’s nights before cancelling altogether. The other networks will try finding a good night and time slot for a show before cancelling it… I just ask that NBC give DECEPTION another chance. DECEPTION fans, tweet @nbc and let them know how much you love and want to Deception to stay on the air!

julie jennett May 8, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I loved the show please don’t cancel it.

Anonymous May 7, 2013 at 6:49 pm

No shocker that the ratings dropped after week 1. Week 1 deferred my interest, but because I LOVE the cast I decided to watch it on Week 3 to give it another chance. Glad I did, because things got JUICY. I absolutely LOVE the show and I hope that even if NBC doesn’t pick it up for Season 2, I hope that another station does. It is very addictive.

Michele May 6, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I found the show on Hulu and love it. Please do not cancel the show!

Anonymous May 6, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Love love love the show

Anonymous May 6, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Please do not cancel the show! I started watching on Hulu and absolutely love the show!

Anonymous May 6, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Do not cancel!

Anonymous May 6, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I love this show, please don’t cancel it, the show just needs to be promoted more.

Vevean May 6, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I loved this show I would be so sad to see it cancelled! It just didn’t get as many views probably because it was 9-10Pm on Mondays where I am. Also people are more reliant on websites to watch missed episodes so even if I missed an episode I wouldn’t mind as much because I would just watch it a couple hours after online. But hopefully they don’t cancel it ! The storyline got so intense!

Gilray May 6, 2013 at 2:22 pm

They should at least broadcast a final FINALE. Who’s guilty ?

Brenda Barr May 6, 2013 at 10:13 am

I am an older woman who thinks that Deception should be given a chance to survive. It has a great story line, I was beginning to really love the characters and am very disappointed with NBC for not seriously advertising for this show to stay on. I really believe that it had a following and maybe Monday nights is not the best night for this show to air. Please bring the show back because it is at least on par with Scandal which is a huge success for ABC.

Mari and Chris May 6, 2013 at 9:13 am

I love this show! We just found it by accident
On demand- hope it doesn’t get cancelled
We are hooked!