Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

antdrew May 25, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Bring the show back. I absolutely love it.

Gloria May 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Loved this show bring it back

Anonymous May 23, 2013 at 8:08 pm

The show needs another chance it was very good

swanlake May 23, 2013 at 9:52 am

Love the show, I watched it on the internet (via hulu). I didn’t even know the show existed until it was almost over. had to catch up on the web. but the show is awesome please bring it back. so many story lines let unfinished and so many places to go with the current storyline.
It kills me that you keep stupid reality show on (OMG, they all suck so bad), but a good drama or comedy series you axe. Television has truly sank to it’s lowest level. I can get reality at home, but a good drama series or comedy series gets the old heave-ho. I want to be entertained to laugh, to cry, to be mystified. That would be entertainment. watching people stress out in their everyday life on TV sucks.
I stopped watching television 2 years ago and got rid of the cable, to much junk on. I guess I won’t be returning anytime soon.
I Love the show and would love to see it continue. YYYYAYYY Deception.

Brittany May 22, 2013 at 10:20 am

Please bring back deception i loved this show and i agree better advertising would have increased views

Dianne May 20, 2013 at 10:45 am

BRING BACK
666 Park Ave. Men of a certain age
Brother & Sisters Merlin
West Wing
Harry’s Law
Jane By Design
Smash
Memphis Beat
Menof a Certain Age

Dianne May 20, 2013 at 9:57 am

Please bring Deception back, please!!!! Could not wait until the next week to see what happens. They need to get all these stupid reality shows off and show programs as these. If NBC doesn’t bring it back, I hope another network will.

Garrie May 18, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I really like the show! I didn’t find out about it until the season was over though. I think there should have been more advertising to put the show out there for more viewers. Please bring the season back!

Yvonne May 18, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Please bring it back. I love the show.

Forrest May 17, 2013 at 3:40 am

I like the show and would like to see at least the main mystery of who the killer is and why answered!

Anonymous May 17, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I loved this show. Bring it back

michaala May 14, 2013 at 1:44 am

I absolutely loved this show!! I encourage everyone who wants deception back to voice their opinions go to NBC.com contact us.Thank You

michelle May 13, 2013 at 5:13 pm

please NBC bring back deception i really like the show and watch it every monday night please renew it for another season i wanna wants gonna happen Mia!!!!

kat.dede. don May 17, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I think they should bring deception back. I want to see what happens. I don’t watch much tv cause I don’t like anything that is on now-a-days. However, I got into this show.

Nicole May 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm

:( Sucks! Makes me so mad. I loved this show.

Vinny May 13, 2013 at 12:02 am

The show is excellent , the cast is awesome. I hope they renew the show for another season.

Vinny May 12, 2013 at 11:58 pm

The show is excellent. The cast is awesome , it must be renewed.