Deception: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Deception on NBC cancelled or renewed?With Revolution taking a break, NBC decided to try a new Monday night drama, Deception. Has it been a ratings success for the network or will it end up being cancelled like so many of their other Monday night dramas?

On Deception, a wealthy party girl has been mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective, is convinced by her former partner to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast includes Laz Alonso, Meagan Good, Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

The series debuted in January to a 2.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.66 million total viewers. Those were hardly impressive numbers and were less than half of what Revolution’s premiere drew a few months earlier. Year-to-year however, it was a big improvement over the ratings NBC was getting for Rock Center with Brian Williams.

In week two, Deception’s ratings dropped more than 20% to a 1.6 demo rating and 4.14 million. That was not positive — and the ratings kept falling. As we now near the end of Deception’s 11 episode run, the ratings seem to have stabilized at a 1.1 demo rating with about 3.3 million viewers.

Those numbers are terrible and certainly there’s no ratings justification for NBC to renew Deception for a second season. They cancelled shows like Chase and The Playboy Club and they had better numbers than Deception.

On the positive side, at least NBC aired all of the episodes. Unfortunately, viewers are unlikely to ever get their storyline questions answered.

But, what do you think? Should NBC stick with Deception and give it another shot next year or should they cancel it instead? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

Pat July 11, 2013 at 10:35 am

This show made my Monday nights. They leave you hanging after a great cliffhanger!!! Bring it back at least to clean up the mystery behind why they developed this Show in the first place!!!

MzPc July 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Great show I would love to see it come back. There’s nothing on TV but reality shows and when you get a good relaxing sit down show you want to take it off the air. I love drama shows than these all in your business messy reality shows, Please bring the show back

sheri July 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Please bring back Deception!!!! I fell in love with this show and am very disapointed that it suddenly stopped! Listen to your Canadian fans, we WANT the show back for another season!!!!!!!

Linda July 5, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I had recorded this series and just now watching it! I love it! I have 3 more episodes left to watch. I’m very disappointed that it isn’t going to be on any more. Please bring it back!!!! There are a lot of stupid shows on and this one is good!

Anonymous July 3, 2013 at 11:08 am

please bring deception back……i really enjoyed the show!!!

tabitha July 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm

yes! great show bring it back!

Slimsan July 1, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I am heartbroken. Deception was one of my favorite shows. Please bring it back the story line was intriguing! Please, please, please come back!!!!!!!

sherell -Albany GA June 30, 2013 at 12:40 am

I think that BET should pick Deception up. Viewers like myself did not have the full episodes to see what happened at the end. How could you end a good mystery show like that NBC. They need to stick with American Idol and Celebrity Apprentice and let the other show handle T.V sitcoms as Deception

Stephanie June 25, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I agree, I think it is a great show and I get tired of every time I find something to watch, they cancel it!!!!!!!

Tnel June 24, 2013 at 8:24 am

Finally find a great show that I can watch and again like in the past it is getting cancelled. Real sick of the networks not giving these great shows a chance. Need to find the right time slot. I stopped watching network shows for that very reason. Look at Seinfeld the first season or two not good ratings it did not quite catch on and bam it is to this day with re runs one of the best shows. Keep it please!!! This could be another knots Landing if given the chance and it will be better. Great cast and writing.

RAGENE June 19, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Deception is a great series. Please bring it back. Monday is a hard night to compleat with perhaps to a Tuesday night. I watched it on Hulu plus. Watch the whole series in 2 days. Shocked to here it is not coming back. It has the same type of drama has Scandal another great series.

Irene June 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Just started watching Deception…as each episode progressed it got more intriguing. The season left me with so many unanswered questions. I was really looking forward to a second season. It is a shame it won’t be coming back. Perhaps the show needed more exposure. With so many TV series available I recorded Deception for future viewing, not sure I would like it or not. I began watching it in May2013 and got really hooked. It would be nice if the sponsors would give it another try…..in my opinion, it turned out to be a really great series. I hate it when a show is cancelled before wrapping up all the loose ends. Makes me want to give up watching TV shows all together and simply stick to Movies and such…

kdhatgirl June 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Bring back Deception!!! Our office watches it and loved every episode!

Willa Brooks June 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Please bring it back!

Willa Brooks June 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I am so disappointed that Deception is not coming back. It was a good show with a good cast. Can it possibly be saved?