Deception: Why Just 11 Episodes?

Deception TV show on NBCWhen NBC gave the go-ahead for Deception, the network ordered 13 episodes of the TV series. There are now just 11 installments. What happened?

At the TCA Winter Press Tour, Deception executive producer Gail Berman told The Futon Critic, “It was cut back to 11 because [NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt] did what I thought was an incredibly ingenious move: they put it on so [it] would have no interruptions. So it’s 11 in a row. They couldn’t fit 13 in a row.”

Deception begins when a wealthy party girl is mysteriously murdered. Her childhood friend, now a San Francisco narcotics detective (Meagan Good), is convinced by her former partner (Laz Alonso) to go undercover into the wealthy world she thought she’d left behind. The cast also includes Victor Garber, Katherine LaNasa, Tate Donovan, Wes Brown, and Ella Rae Peck.

What do you think? Do you agree with NBC’s strategy? Do you think Deception will stick around long enough to see all 11 episodes air?

UPDATE: NBC has canceled Deception after one season.

Canceled and renewed TV show

50 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

I saw the last episode and still don’t know how it ends. And now it’s off demand. Put it back on demand so people who didn’t see it will and get to love it. If it doesn’t come back at least have one more episode to wind it up please.

2. Brenda says

I loved this…I watched it from the first show to the last, it kept me so involved in it, hope it comes back on this season…

3. Sherian says

I love this show, I like it better than Revenge, and that is saying a lot! I hope you don’t cancel it on the viewers. Give it a chance! Don’t be like ABC has been with past good shows, letting them go before they get the viewers. Some shows just take longer than others to pass on the good word. Good luck in your decision making but have compassion with the viewers, sometimes it just takes longer to get the right numbers you need to keep a show going. You have a great cast and it holds my families interest every week.

4. L brooks says

It’s a very good and well developed show. I love the twists in story. My teenage kids put me on to Deception & we never miss an episode . I want it to be renewed. My favorite show besides scandal & hart of Dixie . I dvr or check it out on demand !
    I want more its absolutely a much see show !

5. says

This show is not like Revenge, because by now Revenge has gotten to be bit tired and clicheed its second run. Deception is a shows that improves. It needs some time as more people around the internet watch it, but I have a feeling it will grow. Deception reminds me of what would happen if they combined Pretty Little Liars with Dirty Sexy Money (Dirty Sexy money was a while ago..) PLL influence = A friend whose absence informs the presence, DXM- people with the freedom to do all the wrong things being seen through the eyes of Joanna, a wonderfully involved conscience.. To see how they would continue this script… But if they turn it off now and deprive us of any further evolution would be a crying shame.

6. says

I Love this show and I do not want this show to be canceled and I really want this show to have more seasons because I love watching this show every monday so please do not cancel this show Mia Gibson

7. TV Watcher says

PLEASE cancel this show!!
    Terrible acting and a pathetic try at coping a great show..Revenge.
    Revenge blows this show out of the water!!

8. Samara says

I only watch because I adore Victor Garber! The show itself lacks everything needed to be entertaining, so it is quite boring!