Detroit 1-8-7: Charlie Sheen Pre-empts Next Episode

Detroit 1-8-7Charlie Sheen and CBS’ Two and a Half Men have played havoc with the other network’s schedules for years. The sitcom is one of the top-rated shows on television and sometimes reruns outperform the competition. Now, Sheen is helping ABC for a change.

ABC News has landed an exclusive interview with the troubled actor and will air it on Tuesday night on a special edition of 20/20. The special edition will no doubt get huge ratings.

To make room for the interview, ABC has once again pre-empted Detroit 1-8-7, the network’s lowest-rated scripted series. From a ratings standpoint, just about anything they can put in that timeslot will perform as well or better than Detroit 1-8-7. Last week’s special edition of Primetime garnered a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 4.14 million viewers. That’s certainly not a great performance but it is 14% better than the previous episode of Detroit 1-8-7.

TV show supportAs frustrating as this may be to fans of the crime drama, ABC isn’t likely to stop pre-empting it. On the positive side, Detroit 1-8-7 remains on next week’s schedule, for now at least. At this point, the show is all but cancelled and the network is essentially burning off the remaining episodes. There are three episodes left in this season and there’s no way that its coming back for season two.

What do you think? Will ABC get around to airing the three remaining episodes of Detroit 1-8-7?

Rory March 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm

This is the best show, please bring it back next season,, please!!!!!

Patricia Dehanke March 21, 2011 at 5:30 am

I love the show. I missed the finale last night because our dishnet was having problems. I agree the acting is great. I will miss it if it goes off the air.

LizzieA March 19, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Detroit 1-8-7 is one of the best shows to come along in a while. It reminds me of Hill Street Blues, which, as I recall, became a BIG HIT! It will be terrible if TPTB don’t give D187 another chance. The cast, the qualilty of acting, the characters’ relationships, the storylines…all contribute to a superb show. At a time when I’d rather watch old NCIS and Bones episodes for the 5th or 6th time than any of the current dreck on TV, I just can’t believe that this fine show is going off the air. Boo, hiss, ABC! With any luck, a smart cable network will pick up this gem!

Don March 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

This is one of my favorite shows! It has interesting and complex characters and much more convincing plots than the usual csi infected tv schedule. Detroit-187 reminds me of other authentic-feeling, grity tv dramas like the wire, homicide or hill street blues. Its cancelation proves once again that intelligent tv can’t last.

bill March 16, 2011 at 6:53 am

this is a well written and even better acted drama. abc is exhibiting a shortsighted approach to quality tv in letting this one go. detroit is a mess…yes…but this show is happening..

Marie March 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm

This show is my favorite, I can’t believe they would take this show off! UGH

SUE March 15, 2011 at 10:16 am

I too, like the Detroit 187 series–each story line is so unique–the people are so real and its great to see them all working together! I agree with the one person that Castle and Detroit 187 are two of my favorites!! Please don’t take them off–and like they said–if not pre-empted weekly people might find them more often!

Sam March 13, 2011 at 11:11 am

I Love this show you can never predict the ending of the Show hope it gets another chance

Sue March 12, 2011 at 11:42 am

I hope ABC looks at these comments. Detroit 1-8-7 is an excellent show with a great cast. I am hooked on it too. I am in the over 40 demographic. TV used to have good shows on. Now its all about the money. These stupid reality shows, and the dancing shows. How about some good drama for people who aren’t into that other stuff?
Please leave this show on the air. Try promoting it a little more. I’ve never seen a commercial on TV (ABC). I found it on Prime Time on Demand on my cable.

Evan Loeffler March 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Do you have any idea how many people love this show??? Everyone who starts watching it gets hooked. I am in the 18-25 demographic, and my friends love it too. We do not live in Detroit, we are not from Detroit.
KEEP IT ON !!! RENEW IT!

FredandSheri March 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm

We’ve been watching on HULU – because we had missed the first few episodes. It’s really a very good show. It would be a real mistake to cut them down before they had a chance to build a following. We’ve put out the word to our friends to check it out. Hope it isn’t too late.

dottie March 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm

ABC could care less about the fans. All they about is the almighty dollar. I know I will not waste my time trying to watch anymore network series, I’ll spend more time on TNT or FX or Netflix. I’ll miss Detroit 187.

glenn March 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm

love the show best program on tv next to southland

diana March 10, 2011 at 10:40 am

why cancel a promising show in its freshman year? networks bombard us with choices then snatch the show off the air before people can generate some buzz about it. i swear you waste more money promoting a show than investing in it. keep 187!!!

Kim March 10, 2011 at 7:40 am

Love Detroit 187 !! Please give it another chance! For people who enjoy a great police/crime drama, it has alot of appeal. Find a way to promote better! Don’t keep preempting it! Don’t give up on it.