Detroit 1-8-7: Imperioli Not Confident About Season Two Chances

Detroit 187Unfortunately, Detroit 1-8-7 been struggling almost from the beginning. ABC’s freshman police drama debuted with a mediocre 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.34 million viewers. Things quickly went down hill from there. The last original episode mustered just a terrible 1.0 rating and 5.05 million. Now it’s the lowest-rated scripted show on the network.

Despite those dismal numbers, at the recent TCA press tour, ABC chief Paul Lee was still pretty optimistic. He said, “We haven’t made our decisions yet on second season. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have liked it to have stayed with high numbers, because it’s an extremely high-quality show… It’s a really gritty, brilliantly written show which we’re very proud of. So do we hope it comes back. We’re not going to make those decisions probably for another two to three months, I have to say.”

Regarding the chances for a second season of Detroit 1-8-7, star Michael Imperioli is a little less optimistic. He said, “You know, we’ll see. I’m not overly confident about it. I think the show’s good enough. There are a lot of stories to tell. I think it will only get better in the future, but that has to do with a lot of factors that are out of my control.”

TV show supportHe continued, “I’ve been disappointed that it hasn’t done as well in the numbers… I don’t think that a lot of people really know that we’re on the air. I think that the people who do know really like it. We do have a lot of loyal fans. Primarily, it’s in the demographic — 18 to 49, whatever. I don’t know how that works that we’re not doing as good. We had some good overall numbers for a while, but you know, these things are hard to predict.”

Looking at it philosophically, Imperioli added, “[The ratings are] out of our hands. We’re doing the best we can do. The work has been really good. So I’m not complaining.”

What do you think? Will Detroit 1-8-7 be renewed? Should ABC give it a second season and a second chance, even though the ratings are poor?

Michael Sington October 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm

SEASON 2 IS A MUST. This show has a good vibe going on to be a premier show like Law&Order. Great cast with chemistry, story lines and characters. I don’t recall seeing an advertisement for this show more than once. Seems like there is a weak link in that department. How would someone know of a great show if you keep it under the radar by not advertising it the way it should be to gain good audience. I come across it on hulu and xfinity tv. If not for that I wouldn’t know about the show now. I became a fan of the show by watching the entire season in a 24 hour period. KEEP THE DANG SHOW GOING .

Gerald & Jacqueline July 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

P.S. we are in our mid fifties.

Gerald & Jacqueline July 22, 2012 at 8:09 pm

My wife and I came across your show from xfinity and comcast.
We both like watching good police shows , like Hawii Five -O, Common Law and Law and Order Special Victims Unit. My wife also grew up in Detriot whichis what got me to start watching your show. Our favorite police show is Grimm after that is Detriot 1-8-7. Don’t know what the problem is it’s a great show keep it running and do not leave us hanging please.

Sincerely Your Viewers

Patricia July 6, 2012 at 7:44 am

I think that Detroit 1-8-7 was a wonderful show!!! You can’t leave us fans hanging without a season 2. I wanna know how things turn out with Detective Finch ends up with Dectective Ariana!!! I even bought the complete first season!!! I would be so happy for a season 2 to come out I have been waiting!! I was so disappointed when I looked for it and nothing so hurry up and start airing it!!!

Jim in Montana June 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Fabulous show in every way. Figures it would get nipped. Whatever.

Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 6:37 pm

This show is amazing and should continue!! How can so many crap shows stay on the air but the great ones can’t.

Anonymous February 3, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Love it

Anonymous January 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I just watched the whole first season, and this is a great show, i hope they bring it back…they always take the good shows off the air, after you get interested in them…

Thomas G January 12, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Well I’m a 60 yr. old white male and I just loved this show. Very high quality and gave a unique insight on the tragedy and hope of Detroit.

Stumbled across it on Netflix as I never watch shows live on tv; only after the fact so I can rent and watch the entire series commercial free.

Bring back DETROIT 1-8-7 PLEASE!!!!

Ann Ferris December 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I just finished 1st season on Netflix. I LOVED IT ! I thinks it’s better than Law & Order. The themes were very cleverly thought out. I’m so sorry that it’s not continuing. I really liked all the characters, every one!

Ann Ferris

Arlene October 15, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Super excellent show in all aspects !!!!! Michael Imperioli can carry any show through to success.

Anonymous September 7, 2012 at 12:21 am

Great show, love Michael Imperioli

jose rodriguez October 14, 2011 at 8:56 am

i loved this show. I am a big fan of Micheal Imperioli. when i found out he was staring in a show i raced to the computer and researched it. started watching i ton hulu and made sure i didn’t miss an episode. this show should have been advertized better. let people know that this show is airing.

i.j.Zand October 3, 2011 at 7:18 am

Great show…. Good acting and good storyline…..would highly recommend renewal.

Gilda Elorriaga September 15, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Please let this wonderful show continue, this thing about 18-49 demographics sucks, don’t the 50 and older count? This show is so well done, maybe the 18th teens and twenties do no appreciate, (let them have another reality silly shows) but I know a lot of peopple 50 and above, like it very much.