Dexter: A Spin-Off for the Showtime Series?

Dexter series finaleEarlier this week, Showtime entertainment president David Nevins talked about Dexter, the cable channel’s long-running serial killer drama.

Of the ending, he said, “I think the fundamental design of where they ended Dexter was really well conceived… He had to sacrifice the one person who was closest to him in the world and he had to leave.”

In terms of the rumor that Showtime wouldn’t allow the lead character to be killed, Nevins noted that the idea was never discussed or even brought up.

He said that a spin-off isn’t currently being planned but Showtime would only do it if star Michael C. Hall was a part of it.

He also said, “It remains to be seen if they’re going to want to do it, if I’m going to want to do it… I think that show is that character. If we were to do it, I would want to do Dexter in a new concept and configuration. I would want the show to feel different and not just be a continuation of the old show.”

What do you think? Would you be interested in watching a Dexter spin-off?

josh September 23, 2014 at 3:25 am

Spinoff for Dexter?? Yes yes Yes! After 2 years Dex is lonely and seeks out Harrison & Hannah only to find them living as prisoners in Argentina by one of Dexter`s past victims family/relative. Dexter has to rescue them and this time he uses Bombs & Guns because thats the only way to get to them. He saves them and then goes on the run with his family while that family is chasing after him trying to get revenge. One last season like this so Dexter, Harrison & Hannah can live Happily Ever After :)

tammie August 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Please do a spinoff so some part can go on, such as what happens with Harrison & Hannah, & Dexter himself…will they ever be together?

Debbie February 23, 2014 at 10:07 am

Much as I enjoyed the whole series of Dexter seasons, I think that the ending is too perfect to ruin by a Season 9. I also think a spin off would be a mistake. However, why not another series with another complicated character for Michael C Hall? His range is amazing and should be explored in another angle.

Trina February 21, 2014 at 12:44 am

They should definitely make a spin off, it was too bad that they had to cut Debra off but still should continue the show with Michael

Amanda January 30, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Yes, please please please do a Dexter spin off, Showtime whoever, Michael C. Hall is a must!
I miss Dexter!!!! And I know a lot of others who also miss the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clay January 21, 2014 at 11:13 am

Concept: It has been ten years since Dexter Morgan was declared dead. Dexter has lived a life of seclusion. Avoiding “human” interaction and so, avoiding the need or want to kill. During a routine stop, fueling his logging truck, Dexter is caught up in a robbery gone wrong. Forced to kill the attackers, he is lauded as a local hero, calling attention to his existence. During Dexter’s ten year absence in Miami, local detective Bobby Quin puts the pieces together that identify the assumed dead Dexter as the Bay Harbor Butcher. After seeing a random news clip on CNN, and now knowing that Dexter is alive, the chase is on as Quin pursues Dexter in a nation wide man hunt!

Yurie January 19, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I bet they are thinking of a Quin spin-off.

Pittsburgh Cherie January 18, 2014 at 9:18 am

I absolutely would watch a spin-off of Dexter. We were hooked from the beginning and just finished the final season. Hated to see Deb go but felt that was the only way it could continue one day. Michael C. Hall is (in my opinion) one of the finest actors we have. We watched all of 6 Feet Under also and it only shows his capability to get all emotions across the screen and in the minds and hearts. If you read his Bios, you’ll see his versatility and talent (Amazing is the only word) and you’re right —— No Michael C. Hall – No Dexter Spin Off. I say “DO IT MICHAEL”!!!!

Sil January 17, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Has Michael made any comment regarding this? This only thing I found on google now was an interview from Oct 2013 here http://www.dexterdaily.com/2013/10/michael-c-hall-addresses-dexter-spin.html His answer is a bit vague but he doesn’t say he won’t do it, so there’s that…

Alan January 17, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I enjoyed the series and would be interested in watching the spin off.

Jeremy Rynek January 17, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I watched a couple episodes, and it just didn’t click with me. Although, I’ve heard how popular, and good it was. So, I think I spin-off would just hurt the legacy of the series.

Chuck September 2, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Jeremy, seriously?! How do you get off saying that a spin-off would only hurt the “legacy?” What do you know at all about Dexter’s legacy, having only watched a couple of episodes? Clicking with you or not, take some time to actually sit down and at least watch the first season before you attempt to make any kind of comments. Yes you certainly are entitled to have an opinion of the episodes you have seen but, that’s it…you cannot make or have an opinion about the whole series. That would be like me having an opinion about you after only meeting you once…not fair and completely ignorant…so sit down and enjoy at least a season my friend!!