Dexter: Showtime President Expects Season Seven

DexterIf he has his way, Showtime’s new Entertainment President, David Nevins, says that Dexter will see a seventh season at least. He believes the ratings for Dexter have bucked the usual trend and there’s lots more to learn about our favorite serial killer.

At the TCA press tour, Nevins said, “I think there’s a lot of life left in Dexter… [The show] was up 11 percent in its fifth season which defies the usual ratings decline. The audience is still coming to it, and it’s not a plot driven show. It’s fundamentally a character driven show. A lot of what the show is tracking is the evolution and the maturation of Dexter. He’s barely an adolescent in the way I watch the show. We’ve picked it up for one more year, and I personally think there’s life beyond that.”

As we reported last month, there’s one potential hitch in that plan. The contracts for some of the show’s key players expire at the end of season six and will have to be renegotiated. Will all or only some want to continue? It remains to be seen how that drama will play out.

What do you think? How long would you like to see Dexter continue? Season seven, eight or beyond? Besides Michael C. Hall’s Dexter, which characters do you think are essential for the show to go on?

Gaby November 18, 2012 at 3:29 am

Same here. My boyfriend and I have wecahtd every single episode and can’t seem to get enough of this piece of art. Every episode shows excellent acting skills along with a great production team. I cant get over the intro song along with the clever little remarks made on the show. Really can’t wait for season 6 and wish it was sooner than September.

Kathy doll August 11, 2012 at 9:16 am

I have been a Michael Hall fan since Six Feet Under. Let’s see more of him as Dexter.

Gina Sanchez June 16, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I have watched all 6Seasons of Dexter!!! And I Love every Episode. Michael C. Hall is so Good at what he does with each show, I think every actor in the Series play’s their part so good. I can’t wait to see what Debrah does this Season to show how much she really does Love Dexter. It is so funny from the first time they meet as brother & sister I said watch them turn things around and make them a couple. And I agree with everyone there is so much more to learn about Dexter, he is just learning about himself right….. Keep up the Great Work. Love Dexter !!!! Dexter’s No.1 Fan Gina Sanchez

Dez October 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I love Dexter!! And i believe it could go farther than 7th season. It has so much to teach the audience not just about life but about death. I love the story and how it has evolved. My most fav characters i would like to see survive the next few seasons would be Debora and Dexter!!! Also Angel and laguerta- that way theres more drama to when Dexter’s true identity is exposed. This show has inspired me in the subject of Forensics.

Mandi October 18, 2011 at 8:18 am

Love Dexter – I was just finishing Esp 3. of Season 6 – and thinking PLEASE let there be a 7th season!… SO hooray!

Dexter fan May 16, 2011 at 7:16 am

Dexter is the best show ever and should never stop! Please give us at least 10 more seasons! I think it’s pretty clear I’m addicted?

azbernie May 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm

what!? it was just blooming. if the series ends, it would be premature. there is so many more levels of his psychy to examine. like, will his kid inherit his tendencies? will he be caught? wil his sister find out and protect him??? come on let’s continue with dexter.

Dexter Rules! March 20, 2011 at 8:57 am

Must have more Dexter!!

michelle March 12, 2011 at 8:51 am

I am so addicted to Dexter. I have read all the books too. I missed the entire 5th season, but I am anxiously waiting to rent it on DVD. I hope they keep it going. Dexter still has more story to tell in my opinion. As long as he is out on the loose being ” The Dark Defender” there should be a show. If that takes 7 seasons or 10 seasons…so be it.

Dave March 7, 2011 at 1:35 am

Dexter is amazing. Depending on how fast Dexter grows and matures then that’s how many seasons we will get. Honestly, the only characters I see as being absolutely essential are Michael Hall and Jennifer Carpenter. Flashbacks of his dad could stop. Cody and Astor aren’t exactly essential, there is a way they could be taken out of the plot line.

It’ll be interesting. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the actors enjoy working on the set. Hopefully, we see more seasons!

Jon February 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Addicted to this show. Introduced to this show on Netflix. Just signed up for Showtime to watch Season 5 on demand. If the writers can crank out plots like season 2 and 4, then this show will be on for years to come.

Anonymous March 1, 2011 at 2:45 am

Me to

Marilyn February 5, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I absalutely love the series of DEXTER. Loved it so much i never missed not one episode. actually I only joined the showtime becuase of dexter. and hope there is lots more to come. iI will always watch it as long as you keep it interesting.

Greta February 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I love the show Dexter never a dull moment. I would like to knpw when the next season is gpong to start again.

Carolyn April 6, 2011 at 8:32 am

I wish they would star t season six tonight. I miss Dexter and Michael C Hall is all you need as a character, Everyone else can be replaced. New drama new cases . Can’t wait.

Rosemary February 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I absolutely love the series & hope it comes back for years to come. I keep signing up for Showtime every season just to catch the latest Dexter shows. Have all the DVD’s. Great storyline, great actors – love Michael Hall! Can’t wait for the new season.