Dexter: Showtime Renews TV Show for Season Six; Season Seven Possible

DexterThe bad guys in Miami won’t be able to relax. Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) isn’t going away any time soon.

It’s being reported by EOnline that Showtime has renewed Dexter for a sixth season. It’s not being billed as the final one so a seventh term is possible.

The show about a serial-killer has been very successful for Showtime and has grown in viewership over the years. Sunday’s installment was the second-most watched episode in the show’s five year run. There’s no reason to expect that Showtime would want to see Dexter end any time soon.

The only possible hitch is that the contracts with some of the key actors expire after year six. New contracts would have to be signed if the show is to continue into a seventh season.

There’s no word on when season six will premiere but the seasons usually kick off at the very end of September. There are two installments left in season five with the finale slated for December 12th.

What do you think? Glad to hear Dexter will be back for another season? How long do you think the series should continue?

Canceled and renewed TV show

31 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Gabby says

I subscribe to Showtime only to see Dexter. It is the most refreshing and original storyline to come along since Six Feet Under (also a favorite). I have purchased all the seasons of Dexter (and Six Feet Under). If you cancel the show, you’re going to lose a lot of money. And the viewers will lose a show they love and support. If you can’t reward that, what can you reward. PS. Actors, don’t get greedy. Producers–increase their pay so they won’t resent the boatload of money you make off of their talent. See, now that was easy.

2. Carol says

PLEASE let Dexter go on to have many more seasons! Dexter is my favorite TV program. I think Michael C. Hall is so talented and I love the role he plays. My husband and I really look forward to each new episode and I would hate to see it end. I really hope you will keep Dexter going for many years. We both really like his sister on the show, also. I bought all of the Dexter series DVDs and we have watched all of them several times. The program is so unique and so addicting. PLEASE let the series go on for many years to come. I am a loyal Dexter fan, and I know many others who are also. Thank you for considering future seasons. I’m really hoping.

3. Jan says

Dexter is the only reason I pay for Showtime. This show is the BEST! Michael does a serious job of making you wonder…could there actually be a dedicated serial killer as cool as him out there!?! I can’t wait for next season. Glad to her Season 6 will continue the series.

4. Luz M. Barcelona says

I love Dexter he is so cool, and Hey hi is cleaning the City, helping out wright, people love the thrill. I hope stays for a long time. Looking forward to purchase Season Five, Six and all of the Seasons to come.

5. Miss Caramell says

Don’t ever cancel DEXTER… I really love the show.. Many more seasons will keep my heart happy…

6. ISABEL FOLCH SCHULZ says

Of course, glad to hear that Dexter will be back for an other season. For how many more? As many possible until it makes sense, the show has been very interesting, good dialogues, quite funny situations sometimes, I watched all the seasons because at the moment I`m at home with plenty free time, fighting to solve my health problem, a breast cancer, I was surprised to hear that Mr. C. Hall also had a problem with cancer, I hope he is ok now. Like I said before, Dexter is great fun for me, right now, makes me think myselve how could the show continue, and ther are many ways to continue, so… lets do it. I`m realy intrigued to see te result.

7. JBailey says

I’d like to see 10 seasons, at least. No other show holds my interest to the same degree, and every single show is full of surprises. Great writers!!!

8. says

With so MANY terrible and predictable shows on tv dexter simply is the best thing on tv period. If you don’t watch dexter you are missing out. Please put out another csi bahamas show or something just as stupid.If i want to watch that stuff i’ll watch fbi files or REAL stuff. So many people watch crap tv.Dexter,lost,true blood,eastbound and down,it’s always sunny in phili are the ones period end of story.Dexter is the best of em all!!!!

9. Judy says

Best show on TV. I love Michael C. Hall – have been an avid fan since Six Feet Under. When this show does eventually end, somebody needs to find something special for Michael to do because it would be tough not to be able to enjoyhis acting talents. No television actor in recent history has drawn me into a drama the way he does. He is the most convincing actor on TV right now. It would be really cool if he could someday team up with Peter Krause again. Those two had such fabulous chemistry. I loved him with Julia Stiles, too. he makes everyone around him look good. Keep Dexter around as long as possible, and please, when it does end, don’t let anyone find him out. Let the series end with Dexter as an adjusted husband and father who continues to take the bad-asses off the streets.