Dexter

Dexter TV showNetwork: Showtime
Episodes: 96 (hour)
Seasons: Eight

TV show dates: October 1, 2006 – September 22, 2013
Series status: Ended

Performers include: Michael C. Hall, Julie Benz, Jennifer Carpenter, Lauren Valez, David Zayas, James Remar, Erik King, Desmond Harrington, and C.S. Lee.

current TV show

TV show description:
Nice guy Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) works for the Miami Metro Police Department as a blood spatter analyst.

In his time off, he also happens to be a serial killer. His adoptive police detective father, Harry Morgan (James Remar), recognized his sociopath tendencies as a child and taught him to channel his passion for killing into eliminating only heinous criminals who’ve slipped through the justice system. Harry also teaches him to mask his emotional emptiness so that he can appear normal.

As an adult, it becomes harder and harder for Dexter to keep his secrets hidden from his single-mother girlfriend Rita Bennett (Julie Benz), and his police department co-workers like no-nonsense Lieutenant Maria LaGuerta (Lauren Vélez), aggressive Sergeant James Doakes (Erik King), friendly homicide detective Angel Batista (David Zayas), quirky lab-tech Vince Masuka (C. S. Lee), and Harry’s natural daughter, Debra (Jennifer Carpenter).
space

Series Finale

Episode #96 — “Remember the Monsters?”
In the previous episode, Saxon killed Clayton, shot Debra, and escaped. She calls for help and is soon taken in an ambulance with Quinn.

Because the flights in Miami are grounded due to the impending hurricane, Hannah takes little Harrison to Jacksonville to board an airplane there, bound for Argentina.

Saxon goes to the hospital to finish off Debra but Dexter spots him and he’s taken into police custody. Debra’s surgery is successful but she then suffers a stroke from a blood clot. The physician notes that only a miracle will prevent her from being brain-dead.

Dexter meets Saxon in his cell to do a gunshot residue test and intentionally leaves his pen on the table. He provokes Saxon to stab him and then, in self-defense, Dexter punctures his carotid artery with the same pen and kills Saxon.

Batista and Quinn question Dexter about the killing. Though they likely know what really happened, the official report states that he acted in self-defense.

Later, Dexter visits Deb in the hospital as the facility, due to the storm, is being evacuated. He lovingly takes her off life-support and takes her body to his boat. Despite the stormy waters, he takes her body out to where he’d dumped so many other bodies. He pauses to watch it sink out of sight and says goodbye. Dexter then steers the Slice of Life into the oncoming hurricane.

His boat is later found in pieces and Angel is informed via a phone call. In Argentina, we see Hannah reading a news account of Dexter’s death. She holds back her emotions and asks Harrison if he wants to go get ice cream. Fade to black.

A new scene begins and we see a bearded man driving a truck to a logging center somewhere up north. He enters a sparsely decorated old house and we see that Dexter has survived. He sits at a table and and looks directly into camera. Did he try to commit suicide or intentionally fake his death? Is he done killing or will he begin again? The screen cuts to black for a final time.
First aired: September 22, 2013.

space
What do you think? Do you like the Dexter TV series? Do you think it should have been renewed for another season?

Ned July 30, 2014 at 1:50 pm

PLEASE, more episodes of DEXTER in 2014 & 2015……We love the show.

David July 30, 2014 at 12:02 am

I really enjoyed the series. I wish it could have continued. You never knew what Dexter was going to get into and how he would manage to escape. The episodes were so intense.
He was getting sloppy in the end.

Jeremy Rynek July 13, 2014 at 1:49 am

Well, I don’t know. I had to watch the finale twice, because sometimes you have to try it again to get even your own opinion. I understand his sacrifice, but still they left too many unanswered questions. Did Hanna adopt Harrison? Would Debra have wanted to be kept alive on life support? Would she have wanted to buried in water like that? My biggest question was, was Dexter still a killer, or waiting to not be one anymore? I admire them leaving it to the viewer to decide, and they shouldn’t have had all those answered, but at least that last one. For me personally, I think it was a great show, I didn’t watch it when it was on, but watched it all on Blu ray. Maybe there was no right ending, but I thought in the end, either Deb, or Dexter was gonna die. I didn’t know which one though. I give it an 8.5 out of 10. I don’t think it’s a a cult show, but a procedural show in a way. He keeps going through his motions, and emotions. Of course further into the series, it gets worse, and the envelope is pushed more. Really, he fits in with Jigsaw, a killer (I know Jigsaw never actually killed) you can actually love, and feel sympathy for. Whether his actions were his actual choice or not. I applaud Showtime for this wonderful show, and only wonder if Ray Donovan will follow in his footsteps.

Christian June 15, 2014 at 11:54 am

I think there should be more of dexter. We never know what really went through his head or why he did what he did. What about Hannah and Harrison? What happens to them or where do they end up? My point being you left everyone hanging. There should be more

Virgil Seibt June 12, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I bet you could charge $10 to bring back dexter

charlene May 29, 2014 at 10:04 pm

so now what do I do with my dexter addiction, please don’t cancel this show!!!I now have to start from the beginning and watch them all. lost detective

maddie February 25, 2014 at 11:58 am

We loved the show. Loved the ending (sort of). IT/they accomplished their mission of leaving us to hang in suspense of what happens next? Which means they will, hopefully, start another season anew. SOON!

DAVID MAJOR October 21, 2013 at 6:37 pm

What a sad endnig to a great character and show, why didn’t they just let Dexter die with his sister and Deb or have Saxon kill Dexter and Deb kill saxon. Or better yet let the
police finally figure out who Dexter was from the start of the season and have them spend the entire season putting the pieces together. And in the end his sister has to make the same choice again , kill Dexter or someone else , maybe Quin or Jamie or someone so honest she has to kill Dexter. Why waste time with charracters we didn’t need. Showtime was grreedy and wanted to make sure that if they ever found good writers again , like they had for season 1-4 they could go back and revisist Dexter.
No thanks as fans you have burned that bridge and we will not fall for it again.

Laurie September 25, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I loved the show – Dexter. Although it was probably time for it to end, it would have been nice to watch another season.

What a HORRIBLE ending!!!! It really sucked. So STUPID!!
I read recently the the character of Deb was supposed to have a spin off. Obviously it wont happen now.