Dirty Sexy Money: Show’s Creator Thinks Strike Could End Series

Dirty Sexy MoneyThe writers’ strike has only been going since Monday but there’s already fear that a lack of new content might spell an early end for network series. Just ask Craig Wright, the creator and co-executive producer of ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money.

Dirty Sexy Money follows the trials and tribulations of good guy lawyer Nick George (Peter Krause) who tries to keep his morals intact while cleaning up the legal and PR messes of the powerful Darling family. The series also stars Donald Sutherland, Jill Clayburgh, William Baldwin, Natalie Zea, Glenn Fitzgerald, Seth Gabel, Samaire Armstrong, and Zoe McLellan.

Money got some positive buzz prior to its debut and the premiere attracted a decent 10.4 million viewers. The ratings have slowly declined over the past six weeks with last week’s episode attracting 8.4 million, a series low. Those numbers aren’t great but it is handily beating NBC’s Life and holding its own up against CBS’ CSI: NY.

ABC initially ordered 13 episodes of Money but, unlike Pushing Daisies and Samantha Who?, the network has not had enough faith to order production of a full season of 22 episodes. On October 25th, ABC ordered three additional Money scripts, likely trying to stockpile some scripts in anticipation of the strike. All in all, it looks like ABC has some faith in the drama but is still on the fence.

Of the 13 episodes that were ordered, production of 10 have been finished. All 13 scripts have been completed and filming on episode 11 is scheduled to begin soon. It seems unlikely however that production will continue as planned since many other series have been shutting down either in support of the writers or due to picketing interruptions.

The 10th episode of Money is a Christmas episode entitled “The Nutcracker.” The series is being pre-empted tonight for the Country Music Awards which leaves four episodes of Money to be aired prior to the holiday. If the writers’ strike continues into next year, “Nutcracker” could be the series’ premature finale.

Series creator Wright supports the WGA strike but seems pessimistic about Money’s chances for survival. He told the Chicago Tribune, “I believe the show might end with Episode 10 — that might be the last one aired.”

Wright believes that Nick’s journey mirrors that of many Hollywood writers and said, ” [Nick’s] someone who starts out moral and gets slowly deeper into a world” where his formerly trusty moral compass becomes unreliable. He told his writers last summer, “If you’re going to write for this show, you need to commit to examining the questions you face as a rising interloper in a world of radical privilege. You need to write your journey.”

For the midseason, Wright says he envisioned Nick in an incredibly expensive New York apartment that was paid for with the Darling family money. Despite the comfortable surroundings, he’s not able to sleep. Nick had promised himself that he would only work for the Darlings until he could investigate his father’s suspicious death. Nick’s wife Zoe asks if something’s wrong and he replies “I just realized — I’d miss this.”

Unless the strike’s resolved in the next few weeks, Wright and millions of Money fans may be saying the same thing soon. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

caro ON. CA. l Fr. April 20, 2008 at 5:40 am

I hope you don’t take the show off the air.I would like you to consider that alot off people love it.

Holly April 8, 2008 at 7:22 pm

“Don’t do it!” My husband and I absolutely love this show..we have watched it faithfully since it started. It is an awesome show and it would be a sad mistake to cancel it.

Luckey February 11, 2008 at 2:35 pm

I LOVE the show Dirty, Sexy, Money! It’s gotta stay on the air. Please post to make sure everyone knows that it’s critical to bring more episodes of this series.

Kristeen February 5, 2008 at 8:27 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW!! MY HUSBAND AND I WATCH IT TOGETHER.
I DON’T WATCH MUCH TV…but I would be very upset if it does not air again. :)

Debby January 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Please don’t get rid of the show. My daughter and I both love it. It is great.

lauren January 11, 2008 at 9:46 am

they need to get moving in making the final episodes. i have been waitin since December!!

Denisse Marti January 9, 2008 at 7:05 pm

What happened to this show?!?! I loved it and I really never ever watch tv but make time to watch this show! Arghhh!

Lori Guthrie January 3, 2008 at 3:42 pm

please do not let dirty sexy money die this is the first show i have been passionate about sense 90210

lovely December 12, 2007 at 2:58 am

this show is great,classy,stylish,up to date…it is better than all these old show who do not represent reality…no offense,like everybody loves raymond…it’s getting annoying to see those shows that peple are getting tired of and yet a fresh series like dirty sexy money may end…then those writers can stay on strike,because they keep on writting the same old stuff…finally a good series,and it is in jeaopardy?

luna November 19, 2007 at 8:59 am

love this show it is my new fav. i will seriously cry if they cancel it.

Jonathan November 18, 2007 at 3:14 pm

I haven’t followed a show on network TV in quite some time. I am a TRUE fan! And it will piss me off if someone can’t come to an agreement to keep this show on the air and in production. With all shows, it takes promotions to attract an audience. And aside from the normal bumpers and ads on ABC, I haven’t seen any street and billboard or heard radio ads for this show. But, still garnering a nice following from its viewers. Never underestimate the power of promotion. And ABC, please remain positive about this shows potential. It is a one of a kind. And I know where I’ll be on Wednesday night!

Parker Kennedy November 16, 2007 at 11:43 am

THIS IS THE GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME!!!! ABC WILL HAVE VIEWERS BOYCOTTING THEIR NETWORK SPECIFICALLY IF THEY CANCEL DIRTY SEXY MONEY!!!!!!!! ABC HAS MORE TO WORRY ABOUT THAN THE WGA STRIKE!!!! IF “MONEY” GOES.. I WILL NEVER WATCH ABC NETWORK EVER AGAIN!!!!! AND I AM YOUNG!!!! I’M 21 AND I HAVE GOOD GENES!!!!!!

newton November 15, 2007 at 7:32 am

this show is fantastic and it would pain me to watch it be cancelled.

Mystc November 14, 2007 at 7:00 am

why in the world would they even consider getting rid of this show??!!

Love this show!! alot of people do as well…

Fiifi November 9, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Please, don’t kill this show!