D.L. Hughley Breaks the News: CNN Show Cancelled After Controversial Comment

IMAGECNN has announced that they are ending the D.L. Hughley Breaks the News TV show after a short run of only a few months. The looming question is if it’s truly just a matter of logistics, or whether the news network got more than what they bargained for with the controversial host.

D.L. Hughley has been a popular comic for the past decade and recently co-starred on NBC’s ill-fated Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Breaks the News debuted on CNN on October 25, 2008 as a comedy news show, shown weekly on Saturday nights. The self-described “news junkie” wanted to let everyone know that “This ain’t your daddy’s CNN.” He interviewed a typical assortment of newsmakers, pundits, and ordinary people but with his own personal spin. The results were quite different than what you’d find elsewhere on the news network.

While Hughley’s show was anything but dull, it may have been a little too cutting-edge for CNN. Starting the show just days before Barack Obama won the presidential election, Hughley quickly raised the ire of some viewers. One of his first guests was a character named “Freddie Mac,” a brightly-dressed pimp who apparently caused the financial crisis. Via Black Star News, Dr. Boyce Watkins complained that all of the show’s humor comes from generalized stereotypes and that the host turned “the stellar Obama presidential campaign into a minstrel show.”

Did Hughley's comment cause the cancellation?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

More recently, Hughley took more heat for a comment he made about the Republican National Committee (RNC). Hughley was interviewing RNC Chairman Michael Steele and hip hop legend Chuck D about the political party’s attempts to gain popularity with the black community. Hughley stated that the RNC “literally looked like Nazi Germany. It literally did. I make that point, not only are we not welcome — not only are we not welcome, but they don’t even care what we think.”

Shortly after Hughley’s “Nazi Germany” comment, CNN announced the end of Breaks the News. According to an official announcement, the cancellation comes as the result of the host’s desire to relocate his work to Los Angeles where he lives with his wife and three children. CNN decided to retain his services as a Los Angeles-based contributor for the network and they claim they’re eager to continue a relationship with him. Breaks the News will end later this month.

Regardless of how the cancellation announcement is couched though, it’s hard to believe that Hughley’s controversial comment and content has had absolutely no impact on the decision to cancel the series.

Michelle July 20, 2011 at 5:24 am

Didn’t like the show, everything he touches ends up canceling. DL give up the showbiz it’s not for you. Fine a 9-5 maybe then you can keep a job. Your arrogance reflect in everything you do, that’s why it is short lived. Stay home with the wife and kid’s, maybe you could be successful as a husband and dad…

Anonymous November 28, 2009 at 9:19 pm

His show was corny.

Sedrick October 17, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Screw the GOP !! They are a&$ holes anyway. They are the reason he lost his show. But the GOP is the main reason the economy is losing its assets now.

Latonya June 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I follow DL’s comedy etc… wherever he is to entertain. DL is definitely talented. I love CNN but you made a big mistake of canceling his show. I will definitely boycott the 10:00 hr. I would tune in on Saturdays just because of DL’s show now I have no interest. Fresh new blood with laughter is what we needed, and that is definitely what we received from him. Well he’ll be successful back home in Cali with a new and better gig. Many hands down for the decision CNN.

Seth May 18, 2009 at 8:50 pm

If DL Hughley had made more comments such as the one he did regarding the GOP, he would not have been cancelled. That was smart and right on.

What the show needed was more smart, sophisticated commentary and instead just got the low form of comedy.

The show was canceled because it was bad.

Kristina April 22, 2009 at 8:38 am

I am very sad to see D.L. go. Not only did he bring a great comedic spin to the news, he also helped with my research for school. My husband and I really loved the show. I don’t know why CNN let it go, but they should not have. I am sure another network will pick him up for another show if he is willing.

Alexx April 21, 2009 at 10:07 am

D.L’s show was rascist backwards piece of crap that never should have left the discussion table. I’m estatic that they cancelled that drivil with the jive talking mistrel hood act. Now all they need to do is get rid of that oaf Tony Harris.

Craig April 12, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I liked DL, and his comments reflected the moment, he’s a nice sincere American, I wish him the best ! hope to see more of him in the mainstream ! Thanks DL

Laura in Fort Lauderdale April 3, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Although I am a middle-aged white female accountant, I enjoyed the heck out of DL’s show. It was such a breath of fresh air; really cutting edge and I was proud of CNN for putting it on the air. What I really liked is that he would say the truth as he lived it, and not worry about being politically correct. I am very sorry that the show has been cancelled!

Denise April 2, 2009 at 1:28 am

Well we should have known it wouldn’t last it was too goo to be true . Did the red couch go on ebay? I am looking for one!! D. L. I will miss you and CNN later want be watching !!! Not boycotting just not interested.

Demetrius Jenkins March 31, 2009 at 8:15 am

Yes DL, all white people are evil. we are all Nazis and we all hate you… blahblahblah… will people every STOP using the race card?

amanda March 30, 2009 at 1:03 pm

DL was the only reason I watched CNN Saturday nights. I won’t turn it on now

Kelly Eggers March 30, 2009 at 10:22 am

I am saddened about D L Hughley’s program’s cancellation. CNN needs to have some imagination and courage in it’s lineup. There is a first amendment and Hughley’s comments “pale” in comparison to comments made by Hannity, O’Riley, Oberman and so forth. Wake up CNN. You had a great thing going with Mr. Hughley’s wit and intelligence.

Maribeth Gangloff March 30, 2009 at 4:35 am

If you took D.L. as a serious news commentator, then you have a serious issue. However, for those of us who took his comments as comedic with a little truthful spin, his show was enjoyable. I am sorry to see it end. Lighten up people.