Do No Harm: New NBC TV Series; Cancel or Keep It?

do no harm tv show nbcLast week, NBC aired their newest Thursday night drama, Do No Harm. Will the series be quickly cancelled or become a big ratings smash for the network? Cancel or keep it?

Do No Harm revolves around Doctor Jason Cole (Steven Pasquale), a dedicated neurosurgeon with an unusual problem. Every night, at 8:25pm, he becomes someone else — an alternate and evil version of himself who goes by the name Ian Price. Jason has managed to keep his alter ego from appearing, thanks to medication. Unfortunately, the serum stops working suddenly and Ian appears, more dangerous than ever.

In addition to Pasquale, Do No Harm also features the talents of Alana de la Garza, Ruta Gedmintas, Phylicia Rashad, Mousa Kraish, Michael Esper, John Carroll Lynch, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Samm Levine.

The show debuted last week to a truly meager 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.12 million total viewers. It was in a distant third place in its timeslot. It’s also believed to be the lowest demo rating for a scripted series premiere in TV history among the four major broadcast networks.

The previous record holders were FOX’s The Return of Jezebel James in 2008 and NBC’s Bent sitcom from last March. Both registered a 1.0 rating and were off the air in three weeks.

While NBC hasn’t pulled Do No Harm off the schedule yet, it’s clear that this series is doomed to be cancelled soon. It also looks very unlikely that all 12 produced episodes will end up airing.

While the show was in production, the network trimmed the episode order from 13 to 12 installments. This was supposedly done because they wouldn’t have room on the schedule for a full baker’s dozen. In retrospect, execs are probably wishing that they’d cut a lot more than just one.

But, what do you think? Do you like Do No Harm? Are you hoping that it survives somehow or are you reconciled to the fact that it will be cancelled? If you were running the network, what would you do?

Elizabeth February 8, 2013 at 2:59 am

I like it! I hope they air them all!

Bzzz February 8, 2013 at 2:57 am

Its so funny when you look back at some if the most famous shows in history… So many were flops thd first season that only picked up during summer reruns. Networks should be forced contractually to finish seasons they order – short run pressures if advertisers be damned!!! That’s what I say :-)

Anonymous February 8, 2013 at 2:36 am

My God, I forgot about the show, but just watched it and loved the pilot!! Least give it a chance and also do more advertising. I’d rather watch this than most of the crap that’s on these days!!!

Edwina Hadley February 8, 2013 at 2:36 am

I really like this show. I hope they will give it a chance.

David J February 8, 2013 at 2:19 am

Keep it on! I really like it ‘ very entertaining!

Meces29 February 8, 2013 at 1:07 am

Love it! Give it a chance!

SharonH February 8, 2013 at 12:43 am

My goodness give this show a chance!!! Tonight was only the second episode! There was so much going on with the Super Bowl and 30 Rock ending ANY pilot would have had low ratings.

Everybody I know is talking how wonderful this show is PLEASE let us see more of Jason/Ian. Don’t pull it we want to know what 8:25 signifies!

Bree February 7, 2013 at 11:42 pm

This is such a great show. It’s not even fair to cancel it when it was pre-empted by 2 hours worth of snowstorm and political “storms” coverage by local news channel. I loved the premier – my new fav! Please, please, please keep!!!!!

John February 7, 2013 at 11:20 pm

KEEP IT…The ratings are not true……The pilot was aired 3 weeks on Comcast before the So-Called series premiere. For me I like the show, and I watched the pilot on-demand two weeks before the premiere and had no reason to tune-in the premiere. So most people could have seen that episode and just did not tune-in. Lets talk about Cancel or Keep it after it airs 6 full episodes. Thats only right to all the local Philly actors that worked so hard on this show.

Xas February 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

So how do you explain the success of New Girl and Revolution? Both shows released their pilots online and still got great news by the official premiere on TV. Actually, the pilot on-demand gave them good of mouth and fair publicity. It just a pathetic excuse

meg February 7, 2013 at 11:16 pm

seriously the worst show i have ever watched – and i love crappy medical dramas and all of the actors. cancel it now!

Elie February 7, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Keep it!

JV February 7, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Give the show achance, please NBC. You guys have a knack for cancelling your best shows.

BL February 7, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Based on the low ratings premiere, I would be shocked if it was renewed.

Tracy Flynn February 7, 2013 at 8:48 pm

KEEP IT ON!!!! PLease!!

Diane Tidd February 7, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Good Lord, could you give a show a chance???? One episode aired and the network is ready to dump it??? Really??? With all the carrying on about the SuperBowl, people are hard pressed to know what new shows are coming up. Give the audience a chance to find the show, for crying out loud!!

emaegf February 7, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Agreed. Give it a chance.