Do No Harm: New NBC TV Series; Cancel or Keep It?

do no harm tv show nbcLast week, NBC aired their newest Thursday night drama, Do No Harm. Will the series be quickly cancelled or become a big ratings smash for the network? Cancel or keep it?

Do No Harm revolves around Doctor Jason Cole (Steven Pasquale), a dedicated neurosurgeon with an unusual problem. Every night, at 8:25pm, he becomes someone else — an alternate and evil version of himself who goes by the name Ian Price. Jason has managed to keep his alter ego from appearing, thanks to medication. Unfortunately, the serum stops working suddenly and Ian appears, more dangerous than ever.

In addition to Pasquale, Do No Harm also features the talents of Alana de la Garza, Ruta Gedmintas, Phylicia Rashad, Mousa Kraish, Michael Esper, John Carroll Lynch, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Samm Levine.

The show debuted last week to a truly meager 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.12 million total viewers. It was in a distant third place in its timeslot. It’s also believed to be the lowest demo rating for a scripted series premiere in TV history among the four major broadcast networks.

The previous record holders were FOX’s The Return of Jezebel James in 2008 and NBC’s Bent sitcom from last March. Both registered a 1.0 rating and were off the air in three weeks.

While NBC hasn’t pulled Do No Harm off the schedule yet, it’s clear that this series is doomed to be cancelled soon. It also looks very unlikely that all 12 produced episodes will end up airing.

While the show was in production, the network trimmed the episode order from 13 to 12 installments. This was supposedly done because they wouldn’t have room on the schedule for a full baker’s dozen. In retrospect, execs are probably wishing that they’d cut a lot more than just one.

But, what do you think? Do you like Do No Harm? Are you hoping that it survives somehow or are you reconciled to the fact that it will be cancelled? If you were running the network, what would you do?

Monica February 9, 2014 at 12:50 pm

NBC is really stupid ! This was a great show, the advertising was done very poorly for the show, a lot of people discovered it much later. What NBC need to do is take off that ” Michael J. Fox ” JUNK!!! PUT ” Do No Harm ” Back On NBC!!!!

Naomi September 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

I find it ridiculous that such a great show has been cancelled, it had you hooked within the first 5 minutes and wanting to know what was going on. At times its had me on the edge of my seat (when Ian was in theatre, aarrgghh!) and I feel if a show can do that to you its done what a show needs to do to be worthy of a second season.

VLSmith April 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Are you kidding? Cancelling after only 2 episodes???? Really!!!! This show is AWESOME and I was hooked on the very first one. Why not run the rest and see how it goes??? Please don’t cancel yet.

Corinne April 10, 2013 at 10:25 pm

What a great show. I was able to watch the first and second show. The movie channels are always moving days times and channels. The show Do No Harm should be able to finish the entire series. I really get tired when a great show like Do no Harm , 666 Park
Avenue, Animal Practice, and etc. Lot’s of great shows get cancelled, because it’s under 3.12 million viewers. It’s not 300 viewers. Great actors and actress. Let’s help to bring back and finish the series. What about our Terranova.

Well if you get a chance come by my website http:// http://www.syfymoviereviews.com and say hi. I’m just blogging about SyFy. Did a little article about Syfy Face Off Tv show.

Thanks for listening Corinne

nadine March 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm

please renew it very very very good.. one of the best shows on tv.please bring it back….it is so different from all the rest…….

shirley March 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Loved the show. So dissappointed to see it cancelled after only 2 shows. (especially with so many of these silly reality shows on TV). Actually, everyone I have talked to, that watched the two episodes loved it as well.

Veronica March 1, 2013 at 12:30 am

I mean I don’t watch Tv cause everything is usually pretty bad and a waste of time. But, this was awesome. :)

Veronica March 1, 2013 at 12:29 am

It’s only been 2 episodes! Jeez, give it a chance!!! Bring it back. Now. Please. I don’t even watch TV, but I watched this cause I was an extra and it ended up being my favorite show.

Mike and Jenn February 27, 2013 at 6:34 pm

My husband and I absolutly LOVED the show for the 2 episodes we actually got to watch. I am so mad that the cancelled this show!!!!!!!!!

jill February 28, 2013 at 7:56 am

If you want this show back, then Please sign this Petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/nbc-put-the-tv-show-do-no-harm-back-on-air

Ms CiCi February 27, 2013 at 3:33 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

I JUST WATCHED THE PILOT AND THE 1st EPISODE (on Demand) AND BOTH WERE GREAT TV!!!

I know for a fact there are much less entertaining and worse written shows on the the air. Come on NBC… you absolutely have to give this one another try….

darkskies February 26, 2013 at 10:33 pm

My wife and I loved the show bring the show back. please

DO NO HARM FAN February 15, 2013 at 9:51 am

This show was absolutely spectacular and it was not until I was impatiently waiting for it to come on last night and then come to work this morning to do a little research as to why it did not come on and find out its cancelled. I am devastated! Please please please bring this show back.

colleen r February 14, 2013 at 12:23 am

I watched the two shows that aired, I found it a great show and Iam disappointed they cancled it already. They need to give it a chance, all that is on any more is reality shows and they suck!!! Please finish the series, no matter what chanel they put it on I will watch it.

Jen O February 13, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I just heard about this and watched it on on demand, loved it! I try to look up the date and time it airs and find out it’s canceled:( give it a chance!!!!!!