Dollhouse: FOX Cancels Joss Whedon Series; No Season Three

DollhouseWith such low ratings, it had to happen eventually. The Dollhouse is closing after two seasons on FOX.

From the mind of Joss Whedon, Dollhouse revolves around a group of people whose minds are wiped of their own identities and implanted with temporary memories for jobs-for-hire. The cast includes Eliza Dushku, Harry Lennix, Fran Kranz, Tahmoh Penikett, Enver Gjokaj, Dichen Lachman, Olivia Williams, Amy Acker, Reed Diamond, and Miracle Laurie.

Though loved by many fans, the series has been ratings-challenged from the start. Surprisingly, Dollhouse received a second season order last May, despite low ratings. The second season’s ratings have been even worse but FOX publicly committed to at least produce and air all of the 13 ordered episodes.

While it looked highly unlikely that Dollhouse would be given a full season or be renewed for a third year, many fans have been hoping that it would still happen. After all, conventional wisdom indicated that the series shouldn’t have been renewed last year.

FOX has now officially cancelled the series. Production is currently underway on episode 11 and all 13 installments will be completed.

Whedon had previously said that he was planning to include some amount of closure in the last episode of the season. The FOX announcement is likely timed so that he can give the show a more definitive ending.

Dollhouse is currently on hiatus. It’s expected to return to FOX on December 4th and begin burning off the remaining nine episodes of the season in double installments.

What do you think? Are you surprised by the cancellation or were you reconciled that it was going to happen? How would you like to see it end?

Tammy Buhler November 16, 2009 at 12:30 pm

This is really disappointing to me. I think Joss Whedon is a genius and this show was just one example of his genius. Great story lines, good acting and it was so interesting. I really feel that it wasn’t given a fair shot. I for one Tivo Dollhouse every Friday night and I’m sure most of America does the same. Networks should really start focusing more attention to the DVR audience. I also think giving it a better night than Friday would have helped. Maybe we can get it revived on the SyFy channel??

Jen G November 16, 2009 at 7:45 am

This show was just beginning to hit it’s stride. It’s very disappointing that TV shows are barely given the chance to come to fruition these days. It seems that anything relegated to ‘cult’ status is doomed.

Star Warrior November 13, 2009 at 7:39 pm

It was a good show in theory but the cast was boring and unentertaining and it didn’t play well onscreen. Its good for movie of the week but not a series. Best wishes to them all for better future endeavors.

Rob November 12, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Un believeable. Fox manages to screw Joss around every corner. The has been nothing he’s done that hasn’t been great and interesting, deep and often mind probing. So few shows left that actually do this. I am EXTREMELY irritated that the networked jerking us around with the good shows. Cancelled, return, move the day(with little promo) and cancel them again! Stupid.
I’m going to avoid the primary channels. If it is actually a good show, they get rid of them and then serve us crap.

Grandizer November 12, 2009 at 1:17 pm

The show was awful, Eliza has JUST ONE look that she gives, and truly she was bringing the show down.
And I agree the 2 other Main dolls, Asian woman and Caucasian man were not all that great either.
I didn’t bother to remember their names as they were throwaway actors.

paul November 12, 2009 at 9:04 am

should never have been given a second season.
bring back TSCC

SEO November 11, 2009 at 7:06 pm

sucked! :(

MarkH November 11, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Unfortunately I’m not surprised. I love Joss Whedon and the show had a lot of promise but unfortunately it’s just been too uneven. It’s a shame though as the concept is really cool.

stevie ray gilbert November 11, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I actually dug this series way more than I thought I would. What I now refer to as Fox’ Joss Whedon Law: “The more it sucks, the longer it lasts.” The least sucky of his shows, of which I am aware, was Firefly. One season, bam!, Firefly got swatted. Buffy, which I couldn’t stand to watch, seemed to last forever. Dollhouse has captured my imagination. It took awhile. But I got hooked. I’m confident this show could be as successful as the suits at Fox would want it to be if they allowed the creatives to do what they need to do to make it happen. But, of course, we don’t know the whole story. All the investment in story and character development seeded in few episodes we’ve seen so far is wasted. I was looking forward to some rich, rich, intricate material. Whedon’s given himself so much to exploit, so much to work with. Too bad we won’t get to see where it could take us. Getting back to my original point, the whole thing sucks. It sucks that it’s being canceled. And if were to be good enough for Fox to keep it profitable, it would have to suck.

Davidgalvan November 11, 2009 at 5:53 pm

About time!! this show sucked!!! being on friday nite had nuthin to do with it, the show could of be on any nite and network and it would do the same!

solo November 11, 2009 at 5:44 pm

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

love this show, it’s awesome. sci fi and hot chicks!

Eric Greenhaw November 11, 2009 at 3:10 pm

This show was OK, but just not “great”. The lead character is portrayed as some sort of sex kitten but in reality she’s just OK looking. Had they re-cast the role or toned down the sex a little it could have been decent. Also, the supporting actors (asian doll lady, young tough doll guy) couldn’t act their way out of a wet paper sack.
Will I miss it? Sure. I miss Terminator TSCC too, but they’re both bombs.
What I really wonder is if Summer Glau (omg so hot…) is the kiss of death for a show as she was scheduled to join the cast soon.
~sigh!

Megan November 11, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I’m actually glad, since the show wasn’t that good to begin with.

starfleetmom November 11, 2009 at 2:31 pm

i am PISSED.
FOX mismanages every good sci fi show it gets.
this season is better than last season, too.
ugh. they wouldn’t even air the final ep of 1st sesason.
JERKS

Steven Leitner November 11, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Serves FOX right for putting the show on Friday nights.