Dollhouse: Eliza Dushku Tweets about Cancellation; “Whedon Smackdown” Coming

DollhouseThough the news of Dollhouse’s cancellation spread like wildfire on Wednesday, actress Eliza Dushku confirmed the decision yesterday saying, “Hear it here. Hey, that’s really why I started [on] twitter, the rumors/news IS true: Dollhouse will not cont. past these 13 eps”

She followed that up with a note of appreciation to the show’s fans and wrote, “BUT… There’s always a but… I can’t express enough — this has been one of the MOST rewarding experiences of my career. Thank you guys!”

Meanwhile, actress and Dollhouse writer Maurissa Tancharoen shared a photo of her post-cancellation and fatty-food lunch with writer Jed Whedon and actors Enver Gjokaj and Fran Kranz.

The last episode of Dollhouse is scheduled to air on January 22nd and, as Mo Ryan notes, that evening may offer a tough decision for fans of the Joss Whedon universe.

On that same night, Caprica, the Battlestar Galactica prequel series, will debut. Jane Espenson, a veteran of Dollhouse and many other Whedon projects, is one of the executive producers. Then over on Starz, Spartacus: Blood and Sand kicks off. Another Whedon scribe, Steven S. DeKnight, is an executive producer on that show.

What do you think? Which of the three shows are you more likely to watch on January 22nd? Dollhouse, Caprica, or Spartacus? Is it a hard choice?

Canceled and renewed TV show

22 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

i find it very hard to find out things like how many episodes this season or when they will start or stop.when will burn notice start again things like that do you know where i can find out these things

2. Lacie says

I hate to see this show go. I have loved it from episode one. So I hope they at least wrap it up in a great way. I hate shows that leave a cliffhanger as the ending.

3. k whiteley says

I will definitely watch Dollhouse and tape Caprica. At least they are giving Dollhouse an ending. It was a great show and Eliza Dushku is such a great actress. I have followed her career and hate to see this show ending tooooooo soooon.. Wish some of the other networks would pick up on these shows that are canceled way before they should be.

4. Mark says

Would love to see this show stay on. People always talk about ratings and people not watching the show. Work 12 hours a day and record this show just to watch on my days off.

5. Ally says

A shame…I was really getting into the show. It held such promise, creatively that is. It’s too bad the ratings were so low, but then again I have to agree with what was said above – the ratings are ruled by idiots who can’t seem to appreciate anything other than the pointless drivel that people call ‘reality tv’.

6. Kat says

At 9pm? Dollhouse, of course. Of course, where I live, they always re-run Friday Night Sci-Fi Channel series a couple hours later, so it won’t be hard to watch Caprica a little bit later on in the same night. :) I don’t get Starz but I’m not interested in Sparticus anyway.

7. Eerie says

Dollhouse, no contest. Dollhouse is much more interesting than most of what is on TV these days. It’s a real shame American viewership seems ruled by idiots. Perhaps Nielsen just gives boxes based on pity for low IQ scores? Kidding… well, sorta. They don’t, but looking at what actually -gets- ratings on TV, what -doesn’t- constantly have to worry about being on the chopping block? The majority of American rated viewers have been proven to have questionable taste from where I stand. I mean, just look at our long running shows. Scrubs? King of the Hill? Almost any given sitcom? How about American Idol, Survivor, or reality/contest tv in general? Seriously?

Dollhouse isn’t the best show that was ever made in the history of all things, but very few shows in primetime over the last few years can hold a candle to it in my opinion, and indeed most of them are so stupid it is painful to watch them. I personally don’t feel Eliza Dushku did a bad job as Echo, I found her believable in all the episodes I’ve been able to catch. Fox is clearly too concerned with ratings to give up an hour of airtime to a small but loyal fanbase for something that might one day make them acclaimed; they have proven this many times. And I have to wonder why smart and quirky shows like Numb3rs and NCIS can thrive on a rival network while Fox canceled shows like Firefly, Dollhouse, or even Terminator: tSCC, etc, before they could have really taken off. Maybe no one watches these shows because by now they know Fox is just going to up and cancel them just as we’re getting attached?

Anyway, amen to Dollhouse being ahead of its time… at least, it’s my -hope- that American television will grow more intellectually sophisticated. I won’t hold my breath waiting for it to happen, though. I don’t have that kind of stamina, and I don’t know anyone who does.

8. peter says

Dollhouse of course!!!
    And I don’t blaim Dushku for the failiure, I blaim stupid people who don’t know what to watch :)

9. Nikki says

Are you kidding? Hands down Spartacus. Dollhouse had potential but everyone that I’ve spoken to that was dissatisfied with the show blamed Dushku for the downfall. Everyone in the cast was fabulous except her. The different characters she portrayed who had to be vulnerable or sensitive or motherly were painful to watch. She couldn’t pull any of them off. Her acting talent is being a badass. Anything else is futile. It’s a shame it was cancelled. The concept was interesting and original.

10. Allie says

Without a doubt; Dollhouse. I get the feeling that the series may have been a little too sophisticated for a mainstream network such as Fox. I’m still hoping that it’ll get a last-minute reprieve….