Dollhouse: Joss Whedon Comments on FOX Cancellation; What’s Next?

Joss WhedonOver on the site that’s devoted to all things Joss Whedon, the creator of Dollhouse has weighed in on the FOX cancellation. As is his typical TV writing style, his note mixes a helping of humor with sincerity.

Hmm. Apparently my news is not news.

I don’t have a lot to say. I’m extremely proud of the people I’ve worked with: my star, my staff, my cast, my crew. I feel the show is getting better pretty much every week, and I think you’ll agree in the coming months. I’m grateful that we got to put it on, and then come back and put it on again.

I’m off to pursue internet ventures/binge drinking. Possibly that relaxation thing I’ve read so much about. By the time the last episode airs, you’ll know what my next project is. But for now there’s a lot of work still to be done, and disappointment to bear.

Thank you all for your support, your patience, your excellent adverts. See you again. -j.”

The cast and crew of Dollhouse are currently finishing up episode 11 and will complete all 13 installments of Dollhouse. The series finale is scheduled to run on January 22nd.

Whedon has also signed on to direct an installment of FOX’s Glee series. He’s of course no stranger to musical television having previously written and directed the “Once More, with Feeling” episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and later, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. No word on when the Glee episode will air.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Dollhouse is over or happy that Whedon can now do other things? Or, is Whedon just not your cup of tea?

JODY D January 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm

This is very disapointing!!! What a great show I really am into it and they are going to cancel it???? What the?

Geoff Kaven December 29, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Hear hear! Fox what are you thinking?? First you axe Terminator, the series with the MOST possibilities (true the acting wasn’t the best on TV but it got better and better. Then you give Dollhouse the axe? Whats the matter? Huh? Too much competition? wait a minute there is no damn competition at all from your fellow networks. You had ever series I watched and I see them fall one by one.

If you get rid of Fringe I will stop watching you entirely.

Can’t wait until HBO rolls over you completely.

FOX you suck!

Anonymous January 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I AGREE! Fox you’re idiots! Canceling shows that truely have a strong backing by all the Sci-Fi geeks! Not to mention the fact that Weadon is un-believeable in his story telling! If you would have let the show keep going you would have seen that. JERKS!

Jack Fozzwhatz December 22, 2009 at 11:26 pm

FOX SUCKS!!! Hey Joss, take this to SyFy of some other INTELLIGENT venue….

Michael Toth December 8, 2009 at 7:14 am

Typical FOX crap. Screw over the guy who actually has a deep intelligent show again, and keep the musical show which while having it’s ups is a piece of shit for the most part. They won Hulu and expect people to pay for that too. You know why? Because they have no sense of reality.

Duane Bass December 6, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Well, this does not surprise me. I’ve grown used to Fox cancellations. So much so that in our home, we are leery to watch any Fox show these days as they are often cancelled without resolution just when you get really involved. They rarely try to adjust airing schedules or promote! It seems as though some shows are doomed before they even start much less gain and audience! It is sad that there is so little creativity in television these days and writer, producer, directors like Jos Whedon have little chance. Although Fox has offered Whedon opportunities they fail to really support his genius leaving fans out in the cold and distrustful of the network.

buck December 5, 2009 at 2:00 am

i just flat out think that reality is killing tv! its so stupid that the networks dont give any shows a chance because they dont get as many veiwers as, let say, idol or whatever stupid talent or real “loser” drama is on tv. i have seen way too many good shows get cancelled in the last 3 years that couldnt compare t0 the ratings of the reality. its just sad……………..love joss and hope to see another series soon.

James Watkeys November 29, 2009 at 7:57 pm

PLAINLY PUT FOX NETWORKS SUCKS. It has good sports. It however even screws the shows it has like house by not rescheduling House after a baseball game and letting viewers know this. I must agree with the above Poster I FLAT OUT REFUSE TO WATCH FOX for exactly this reason. Great shows that last one season. Its like buying a book online from Fox ,but you only get chapter one of the book, because FOX cancels the book before it gets out of Chapter 1.

Lacie November 28, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Joss Whedon is great. I loved Buffy, Angel, Firefly, AND Dollhouse. I would like to know what universal power it is that he p****d off that keeps getting his stuff cancelled WAY before it should be. And yet they let other shows drone on endlessly. If they keep this up, I’m not going to watch any show that Fox airs until it is over and out on DVD.

Joe Rocky November 18, 2009 at 11:49 am

Dollhouse sucks A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kitty November 13, 2009 at 8:47 pm

First of all I think there should be a contract that prohibits unfinished shows from being cancelled. I’t totally unfair to viewers. They should have the kind of notice that allows a full story arc to finish. Secondly Joss Whedon should have his own channel, never mind one show. Given his popularity on previous shows, what are these monkeys thinking? it’s incomprehensible. What about sales of firefly and Buffy DVD’s? Where does that moola go? Dollhouse is exceptional, was growing all the time. The last shows of the first season were stunning, please Joss just cart your show to somewhere less stupid and keep going. And maybe get a witchdoctor to blast the ‘not being received on time to save her’ miasm.

Davidgalvan November 13, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Fox or any network could of done anything to save this show, the show sucked!!! simply put, it wasnt any good!

WolvenSpectre November 12, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I can not comprehend how Joss thought that he could actually work with FOX again. After what they had done to him and others in the recent past, how he thought this would play out.

I am convinced that the only reason that Dollhouse (which I liked in spite of its imperfections) was that in recent years FOX had been burning so many bridges with its fast cancellations and often extreme interference that they were taking a hit in the bottom line, ratings and viewership (I have several friends that will not watch new shows on FOX because they kept cancelling them and leaving the stories unresolved), and difficulty convincing talent to work with them without special considerations and higher fees first, that FOX had to publicly go beyond what they normally would in support of shows and talent to make up for it.

In the end content like this will go to the internet where a million viewers is amazing and advertisers chase after you.

Networks are slowly killing the Television and Television Networks with a death of a thousand cuts like this.

SistaSallySue November 12, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Definitely sad, and no, not surprising at all, but I was holding on to my last strain of hope! I love Joss Wheadon’s creativity on his shows. I wasn’t totally into dollhouse as I was into Buffy and Angel (which I just recently marathoned all 12 seasons between the two a couple of months ago, and have the soundtrack to Once More With Feeling playing in my car frequently). I was into seeing how the story was going to develop, and am ever devoted to Joss, and when he is able to buy his own network and play his own shows until the characters leave or become old with age, I’ll still be waiting for the networks to realize that this man is a GENIUS, and that no one wants to watch the same storyline to 90210 and Gossip girl with more lesbians, or a reality TV show with staged reality.

Vincent Wright November 12, 2009 at 8:59 am

I don’t care either way. Dollhouse was fun to watch, but nothing like his other shows. It sucks that good shows land on Fox to be canceled later. Every time I see a new show on Fox, I am always at a battle with myself if I should watch it or not. I started watching Bones and then noticed it was good and figured Fox would cancel it so I stopped watching it. Maybe that is why it is still on the air? HAHA!

spam_pilot November 12, 2009 at 7:40 am

Sad and not surprising news.
I just can’t fathom why he would’nt go to HBO or another cable company where he would find a more nurturing ground for his work.
I know I would get cable if i’d known he’s got a show there.

Miguel Angel Milian December 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I don’t see why SyFy channel wouldn’t pick it up, I mean that’s where Stargate SG-1 ended up after starting out on Showtime. I mean, we are all gonna see it there sooner or later, it shouldn’t be where we morn it, but where we continue to view new seasons!! Come on Syfy!!!!