Downfall: ABC Pulling Game Show Early? Cancelled?

DownfallThough there are only six episodes, ABC has decided to pull freshman game show Downfall one week early.

Hosted by Chris Jericho, Downfall hasn’t been performing well in the ratings and continues to ire some viewers. Though viewers are reminded that the prizes being smashed are replicas, many still view the practice distasteful in a struggling economy and for environmental reasons. ABC is owned by Disney, a corporation that’s been touting a “go green” initiative.

The episode of Downfall that will air on July 20th has been deemed the “season finale.” The following week’s episode will be replaced by the first half of a two-hour edition of Wipeout, called “Wipeout Blind Date.” Beginning August 3rd, the timeslot will be filled by the returning Shaq Vs. reality series.

No word on when or if the remaining episode of Downfall will air. A second season is looking doubtful since the ratings for the show have been poor.

UPDATE: Though ABC ordered six episodes and had them all on their schedule for weeks, an ABC representative has confirmed that only five were actually produced. There is no sixth episode. Jericho tweeted that, because of the pace of the show and editing, they only ended up having enough contestants for five installments.

In addition, the host says that they plan to film additional episodes in the fall. However, ABC hasn’t announced that they’ve renewed the show or have ordered any episodes beyond the initial six. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

What do you think? Does the smashing of prize replicas bother you? Should the show return for season two? Do you think it will?

Canceled and renewed TV show

58 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Val says

I really liked the show and watched it religiously every week but not for long. I was so surprise to see about the comments that were made by people. I really liked the host as well. Please bring it back.

2. Sabrina Howarth says

I think downfall should return for a second season. I loved all episodes that I saw before it was pulled early! I tought it was funny when they smashed the replicas of the prizes.

I really hope it returns for season 2

3. Mel says

Please bring downfall back! Chris is great! WWE fans love seeing him in a different light. TV execs should listen to fans who actually enjoy good programming rather than to whiny viewers who even after being clearly told that prizes going over are replicas still want something to complain about. Downfall is fun TV and a great trivia show. Thanks for everything Chris!

4. corey luck says

MY FAMILY LOVED THIS SHOW . WE THOUGHT CHRIS DID A GREAT JOB AND WANT TO SEE HIM BACK ON THIS SHOW OR SOMETHING ELSE PLEASE BRING IT BACK !!

5. Betty A. Thomas says

I liked the show. Couldn”t they recycle the smashed items? Or Maybe use really good blownup pictures of the items. What about all those other shows that destroy or waste things?

6. Andy says

My family and I quite enjoyed watching Downfall, and as others have already stated it was wrong that the show was cancelled for such a stupid reason! i hope that there is another season of downfall, i enjoy the suspence…

7. Amanda says

I thought this game show was boring and uneventful. I think it would have been more exciting if it were REAL items being destroyed, not replicas. CORNY.

8. Anonymous says

I actually loved this show, and I was fairly disappointed when they stopped airing it. Honestly, I don’t understand what’s wrong with it and in my opinion, it’s one of the best game shows that’s come out within the past few years. It’s fun to watch and to go along with. I really looked forward to and enjoyed watching it every week. It’s upsetting that such a good thing had to go for such a stupid reason.

9. Connie says

My son & I we loved watching the show. We are sad that the show was cancelled. It did not bother us that replicas of prizes getting destroyed. Downfall we thought was a fun game show to watch

10. XTChuck says

I thought Downfall was great except for the contestants. None of them were very bright. As far as people getting upset about replicas getting destroyed, I think that’s pretty silly.

11. heather lynn says

i feel like i didnt even get a chance to see much of the show. i like what i saw but it’s too bad there arent more episodes. i hope they produce more in the future bc out of all the t.v. shows on t.v. , that was 1 that i really enjoyed! best game show that’s been up in a long time!

12. Lori says

I think Downfall is an awesome game show. From the first time I saw the show I instantly decided that it would be apart of my Tuesday night routine. Much to my chagrin, it wasn’t a routine that lasted very long. Do people really have nothing better to do than complain about replicas being destroyed? Maybe if they were actually destroying the real thing then it would be overly wasteful, but seriously those complaints are ruining a good show. I’m really hoping that they will renew Downfall.