Dracula: Cancel or Keep the NBC TV Series?

Dracula TV show: cancel or keep?Grimm has done very well for NBC on Friday nights and is one of their highest-rated dramas. How has Dracula been performing? Is it safe or likely to be cancelled?

Based on the classic Bram Stoker story, Dracula takes place in London. The title character (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) poses as an American entrepreneur while he seeks revenge on those who cursed him. He doesn’t count on falling in love with a woman (Jessica De Gouw) who looks like his deceased wife. Others in the cast include Thomas Kretschmann, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Victoria Smurfit, Katie McGrath, and Nonso Anozie.

The series debuted on October 25th to a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.26 million viewers. This was a very respectable performance for a Friday airing.

Unfortunately, the ratings took a big dive in week two and then again in week three, falling to a 0.9 rating with 2.96 million.

Should Dracula be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After seven episodes, Dracula is now averaging a 1.1 in the demo and 3.46 million viewers. Unless the next few episodes see a good-size gain, the averages will keep dropping.

With ratings like these, it would seem unlikely that NBC would want to order a second season. However, the network has partnered with Sky Living on the series, decreasing their costs. Dracula started airing in the UK on Sky Living last Halloween.

It’s also worth noting that NBC renewed Hannibal last spring and that show drew even worse numbers on Thursdays.

So, essentially, Dracula’s fate could go either way. We’ll have to wait and see whether it will be cancelled or renewed for a second season.

But, what do you think? Do you like Dracula? Do you think it should be renewed or cancelled?

DONN ROBB February 24, 2014 at 1:46 pm

BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!

Regina West February 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm

My daughter and I love this show!!! Don’t cancel.

susanne February 22, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I really do hope that a second season is forthcoming. I will be really disappointed if it is cancelled. It’s a great show…

Danielle February 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Are you serious! You put Dracula on Friday night, right when people are going out and you expect it to survive!?! Try putting is on Thursday night at 9:00 in the place of Hollywood Game Night or any other night when people are actually at home to watch. Or better yet, send it over to cable so we can see some real action! Cancel Dracula and I will never watch another NBC show… sorry Grimm : (

Jane casler February 21, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I’m a horror classics fan so I was thrilled to learn about Dracula. Then I watched the first episode. The settings, camera work and costumes were outstanding, especially for TV. But content and delivery were anemic (yeah, bloodless). The plot, however updated for the 21st century, was confusing and contrived. The dialogue banal. The acting, especially the acting, was sophomoric.

White Rabbit February 25, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Jane, we’re in the minority on this one. I’m guessing that everyone else who posted is either under 14 years old or has been sheltered from every clich├ęd riddled plot device and well written screenplay/teleplay ever presented. At least the “Dracula” segments of NBC’s “Cliffhanger” were fun; this vamp is just damp.

This Hackula– excuse, me– Dracula is the biggest disappointment since that NBC revival of Dark Shadows back in the 1990s.

Hundel February 28, 2014 at 7:56 am

Such childish generalization makes you look even younger than 14.
I am 37, I like Vampire storys and movies a lot. I like Buffy, Angel, the old Vampire Movies from the 40s, 50s, 60s and the newer adaptions. Twilight or Vampire Diaries on the other hand are just ignore-worthy, and I hope they go down in history ignored.

This Dracula series however is extremely well thought through, has an interesting new plot that even approaches the issues we have right now with our society, while still not going too far away from the original Dracula. The Dracula portrayed is neither good nor bad, and acted very well accordingly. I am sure its hard to appreciate by people who can only think in black or white. But people who are able to see all the colors and gray shades in the world, really like this series. Its a quality series that isnt too childish or soft, doesnt remove or change too much of the classic vampire/Dracula and still offers a plot for people who want drama, romance, action, mystery, conspiracy, horror and even history, since the sets and costumes are simply stunning.

BETTY COLLINS February 21, 2014 at 12:01 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCLE DRACULA, THE BEST SHOW ON TV. BRING DRACULA BACK FOR ASEASON 2 TANK YOU

Marge February 21, 2014 at 8:58 am

Please don’t cancel! but do change the sound quality….the backround noise is overwhelming and with the accents it’s hard to understand a lot of the times! I am anxious to see what happens in the next season!!! Please don’t cancel.

Arlene c February 20, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Great show! Can’t wait every Friday to see it.Please don’t cancel it.

Kathy February 20, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Yes! Renew it! I’ve been stuck on reality like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Duck Dynasty and Wicked Tuna (which I would never give up but I digress) because I can’t find any “real actor” shows I like. Finally, Dracula came along and I loved it! Please, please, do more seasons! It’s such a great story.

jaime February 20, 2014 at 8:41 am

If you dont keep it I will commit suicide……… this is not a threat but rather a warning!

Rich Harris February 20, 2014 at 5:54 am

There has been many TV shows about Dracula threw out the years, but none has come close to this one. Between the story line and the writers telling the story of Dracula you can’t go wrong. I like how they tell the very beginning of the story going back some 500 years to where & how it all started and most of all has it is set in 19th century London is so Awesome!! From the actors & actresses playing their parts, to the whole crew it all fits like a glove all nice and warm. So I am personally asking you (NBC)”Please keep Dracula on for at lease one more season” Give it a chance, Change it from a Friday nite to a Sunday nite, or during the week, something. I feel it never had a chance to get better Ratings needed to keep it going.

Jen Kasey February 19, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Please don’t cancel the show. I am a big fan of Jonathan Myers and the show. I also want to be able to buy the complete season(s) and sink my eyes on the show again.

Christina Brower February 19, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Please NBC, keep Dracula. I love this show!

Mathew Torres February 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Hell No! Please do NOT cancel; this is an AWESOME show!

Al Whitney February 19, 2014 at 11:16 am

hey man i love dracula please please keep it on if you guys at NBC would keep it on each friday nite it would gain more viewers but you keep moving it off on some fridays and make us wait and thats how shows lose viewers and take big dive in ratings. I get it that the olympics are on but when the olympics are over KEEP IT ON EACH FRIDAY NITE WITH NO BREAKS THIS WILL GAIN A GOOD SIZE IN VIEWERS AND BIG RATINGS, a sixth grader no this guys just think about it.