Dracula: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Two

Dracula TV show: cancel or keep?It seems that stakes and network executives can take a vampire down. NBC has cancelled the Dracula TV show after one season of 10 episodes.

NBC’s Dracula is a retelling of the classic Bram Stoker story. In London, Dracula (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) is posing as an American entrepreneur while he seeks revenge on those who cursed him. He doesn’t count on falling in love with a woman (Jessica De Gouw) who looks just like his deceased wife. Others in the cast include Thomas Kretschmann, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Victoria Smurfit, Katie McGrath, and Nonso Anozie.

The show’s debut did respecatably for a Friday night show but dropped much lower in subsequent weeks. The first season averaged a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 3.25 million total viewers.

Hannibal and Dracula are both produced under a unique deal that costs the network much less than other original drama series. Hannibal’s license fee is set to go down for season three so the network ultimately decided to renew that show and cancel Dracula.

It seems like Dracula’s studios could still potentially produce a second season for another outlet but there hasn’t been any news of that thus far.

What do you think? Do you think Dracula should have been cancelled or renewed for a second season? Would you follow the series to another channel or pay to see a second season?

Michaela June 8, 2014 at 7:24 pm

NBC need to bring back Dracula. It was the only show on their channel that was worth watching. I would rather watch the gorgeous Jonathan Rhys Meyers scheming, plotting, and making love to the woman of his dreams than watch a psychopath who eats people. Please bring back season 2. NBC is not worth watching without it.

Michaela June 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Bring back Dracula!!! I care more about the gorgeous Jonathan Rhys Meyers planning schemes and making love to the woman of his dreams more than I care about a psychopath who likes to eat people. This is my favorite show of all time on television that I made

Rianne June 8, 2014 at 8:58 am

I am also really upset that this show is cancelled. I come from the Netherlands and watched the show film1. I really loved it. It another show that goes away after one season :’(

Jeanette Intartaglio June 8, 2014 at 7:51 am

I have lost all respect for NBC, this is the 3rd show this season I really loved which they cancelled. They don’t give a show a real chance. I can tell you I won’t get invested in anymore of their shows, there really isn’t any point. You get involved and then the show is gone. There are plenty of other channels out there. And I really hope Dracula gets picked up by another network.

Jess June 12, 2014 at 3:27 am

I feel the same way.

Jennifer June 7, 2014 at 3:24 am

I am a big fan of Bram Stoker’ s novel, and when I found out about the series Dracula I was thrilled! For me, the series did not disappoint and what I really appreciated is how well the story was transformed for a modern-day audience. Loved the writing and actors and am extremely sad that a second season may not be made. I really feel NBC is making a bad desicion to cancel this show.

Kimmy June 6, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I am disappointed it was cancelled. It was an amazing show and I watched it religiously. I will watch if aired somewhere else indeed. Keeping my fingers crossed. Is there a petition to keep it on? Wish I had lots of money to keep it on.

MaryAnn Torrelli June 6, 2014 at 9:52 am

I loved the show and I’m very disappointed that t won’t be returning…..hopefully a cable channel will pick it up and we can continue t0 watch this great show!!!

Pam June 5, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I would definitely follow this series to another network. I’m completely shocked that it didn’t have a larger following, but I think it might actually do better on a cable network and on a different night. Everything about this show was first-rate and I’m hungry for more. My husband and I are in our 50′s and our daughter is 19. We are all addicted and anxiously await the second season. Hopefully, another network will appreciate the brilliance of this series and pick it up very soon.

Yolanda June 4, 2014 at 12:07 am

I am thoroughly upset that Dracula is being canceled. I will be watching for other stations to see if they are going to pick it up. I love the series and I was looking forward to season two. I hope that they reconsider. I don’t watch Hannibal.

Jennifer June 3, 2014 at 9:48 am

I am so very upset and disappointed that they cancelled Dracula. Yes, I would pay to continue watching it. Perhaps they could continue it on Netflix; as they did for Arrested Development. Also, House of Cards is pretty popular and has won lots of awards. I had also heard that when producers and directors make shows on Netflix, that they get much more freedom for artistic direction. I REALLY will they would have done that for Magic City as well. I’m really starting to become less and less of an NBC fan. One example is that I have never watched ABC or CBS programming because I was so loyal to NBC; also, their programming has always left something to be desired. However, with that said, I gotta tell you, with the types of cancellations/changes that NBC has been making and with an excellent program I started watching on CBS, The Good Wife, I believe the tide is beginning to turn. NBC is slipping!

Danielle June 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I’m so upset. I heard that it might not make it to a second season but was hoping for the best. I would definitely watch it no matter what channel it’s on! Bring it back (to whatever channel). We all need to know the rest of his story!! Jonathan Rhys Meyers makes a wonderful and insatiable Dracula!! Couldn’t have found a better person to play the part.

David June 1, 2014 at 11:42 am

I am also upset. NBC gets everyone enthralled in a series, but then pulls it leaving us hanging… forever. This was a great show. Let’s keep Hannibal though, cause that’s a winner… Not!! Stupid! I am very disappointed, because this was one of the only good shows on Friday nights. Good job NBC. I guess FOX and the CW will get all of my viewing attention. If they cancel the Blacklist I will never watch NBC again!!

T May 30, 2014 at 6:55 pm

NBC has a stupid habit of keeping reality junk on but get rid of great programs like Dracula. Stop watching NBC, that will let them know we won’t watch anything they air unless they bring back Dracula and stop canceling great ones like it but keep junk realities on!

Amber Barron May 30, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I am very upset that this show is cancelled!! Awesome actors and writers! I would most certainly follow the show if it got picked up on another network!

Minette May 30, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I am so upset that NBC has cancelled this show!! My husband and I both truely enjoyed watching this show together. He will be bummed that this show is not coming back now. I loved the clothing and the location and acting. Thank you for NBC for taking away yet another great show!!