Dracula

dracula03Network: NBC
Episodes: 10 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: October 25, 2013 — January 24, 2014
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Jessica De Gouw, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Katie McGrath, Nonso Anozie, Victoria Smurfit, Thomas Kretschmann, Matt Barber, and Michael Nardone.

TV show description:
This horror/thriller series is a reimagining of the classic Dracula novel by Bram Stoker. It takes place in the late 19th century.

The mysterious Dracula (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) has arrived in London and is posing as an American entrepreneur who wants to bring modern science to Victorian society.

He’s especially interested in the new technology of electricity, which promises to brighten the night — a useful concept for someone who must avoid sunlight. He is aided by his loyal confidant, R.M. Renfield (Nonso Anozie).

Dracula has another reason for his travels however. He hopes to take revenge on those who cursed him with immortality centuries earlier.

Everything seems to be going according to plan until he becomes infatuated with Mina Murray (Jessica De Gouw), a woman who appears to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.

Series Finale:
Episode #10 — “Let There Be Light”
At long last, American entrepreneur Alexander Grayson executed a public demonstration of his miraculous electromagnetic resonator device, which promises to provide free, wireless electricity to all of London.

The demonstration was postponed after a previous attempt only a fortnight ago reportedly poisoned the surrounding neighborhood, causing children and elderly residents to become ill. Mr. Grayson insists that the poisoning was the result of sabotage, most likely by his rivals at the United Imperial Lubricant Company, although Scotland Yard has yet to find any evidence to support the claims.

This weekend’s demonstration, the second such attempt for Mr. Grayson, was to be his magnum opus, the result of years – possibly even decades – of research and construction that would revolutionize the world as we know it and put his oil industry rivals out of business entirely. What began as a day of triumph and victory ended as one of the most tragic and destructive days in London’s recent history.

At approximately 6:22 in the evening, moments after Grayson fired up his resonator to shed miraculous, wireless light on the entire district, the machine suffered a catastrophic malfunction. Grayson and his engineering team went to great lengths to evacuate the area as quickly as possible, and indeed the brave men spared many lives by doing so.

However, only five minutes after the machine was activated, a mechanical malfunction led to the largest manmade explosion in British history, centered directly in the heart of downtown London. The damage was catastrophic. At least a dozen people were killed in the explosion, and, while the numbers are still being tallied, estimates predict the number of injured persons to be in the hundreds, possibly even into the thousands.

Miraculously (and despite being in the belly of the beast itself during the explosion), Mr. Grayson managed to escape relatively unscathed, save for a few bumps and bruises. He is currently exiled in Carfax Manor and refusing to speak to the press, other than to briefly announce that he suspects foul play and sabotage to be the cause of the malfunction.

As London continues to recover from the horrific tragedy, hundreds remain missing. Most notably, Mr. Browning, a prominent member of British high society, has not been seen since the day of the explosion, despite the fact that Mr. Browning was not on site when the accident occurred. Miss Lady Jayne Wetherby is also unaccounted for, and she was last scene hailing a carriage toward the demonstration, only moments before the explosion. Also missing is Mr. Grayson’s right-hand man, Mr. Renfield, who was last seen returning to Carfax Manor on the day of the demonstration.
First aired: January 24, 2014. (Courtesy NBC)

What do you think? Do you like the Dracula TV series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,086 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Tao Horror says

Amazing show. I’m really impressed with NBC with shows like Hannibal and Dracula. Very clever programming. They’ve learned from the success of the episodic cable shows, but evolved from that formula in lieu of directly competing with them. With all of the nice production you get from a major network with strong creativity and writing, these 2 shows are some of my favorites. And I’m a fan of Siberia as well – it would’ve been funnier if they simply left contestants stranded alone until there was a last lone living survivor and give the final living contestant ( most likely a crazed savage at this point ) the prize, but I’m still enjoying it quite a bit. Nicely done NBC! Hope to see many more episodes!

2. Cheri says

I am obsessed with this show and my new favorite actor Johnathon Rhys Myers! PLEASE don’t cancel this show. It is the first time I have EVER been this into a show! Fabulous actors, beautiful costumes and sets but, above all fantastic storyline!

3. James E says

Wonderful show, please do not cancel. I DVR each show so I can watch them over and over again. This is an excellent program. I hope it catches on like Lost.

4. M Taylor says

LOVE this show! Fine casting job too. Myers is absolutely perfect as Dracula. No wonder it is such a good show, being executive produced by Daniel Knauf (Carnivale, Spartacus War of the Damned) I’m not surprised the quality is so high because everything I have ever watched of his has been really good. I really hope NBC renews this one. They would really be messing up if they didn’t!

5. M Taylor says

NBC should definitely renew the Dracula series starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
    And this is coming from someone who, aside from the local news, usually does not watch anything while it is still airing on either: (1) a regular network – like NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX; or, (2) a cable channel which punishes/subjects its’ subscribers to commercial interruptions, for example AMC, the CW, SyFy, USA, FX, A&E, TNT, TBS, IFC, SundanceChannel, etc. Rather than suffer through commercial interruptions I wait until the DVD release of the series/season to watch. In fact, the only reason I have seen the new Dracula series is because I was able to watch it free of charge, with limited commercial interruption via the “Primetime OnDemand” option from my cable provider.
    I must say that I wish Dracula were airing on a commercial-interruption free cable network like HBO/Cinemax, Showtime/TMC, or STARZ/Encore, rather than a regular station like NBC. However, I do prefer a regular station like NBC to one of those awful commercial-interruption laden channels like AMC, USA, SyFy, etc.

6. Boz says

Love this show. It’s one of only a handful that my wife and I have to get together to watch. We were fans of John Rhys Myers before. This is just icing on the cake. Please do not cancel this series.

7. Jules says

RENEW!!!! I am in love with this series. It is Vampires for adults. Not that teenage Vampire stuff like on TVD. I hope it continues. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL!!!!!

8. TVdog says

Love this show. It’s so good I can’t believe it’s on network television! This is quality you only find on HBO or Showtime. Great reimagining of the Dracula story. If NBC cancels it I’ll order it through Amazon UK. It’s broadcast there as well.

9. Lynn Jensen says

Great show! Extremely refreshing after the vast wasteland of reality shows. The script, staging, acting, etc. are all top drawer. Please continue for a second season.

10. Trina Gaston says

Love Dracula, love Jonathan Rhys Meyers in absolutely anything! I could watch each episode at least 3 to 4 times! Very well written, very well acted, one of the only shows that I will ever watch on television…
    The Victorian era and the fashions are absolutely stunning! It is more than just a series it is beautiful to watch! I pray this series is around for many more seasons!

• Dennis Lessick says

I commented before on how much I LOVE DRACULA–and I agree with the person who said JRM is amazing in ANYTHING he does—I remember seeing him in a TV move(can’t remember the name where he played a drugged out bisexual rock star and thought his performance was excellent—and again in the past he played ELVIS PRESLEY in a made for TV movie and again was excellent. When I saw his acting skills in THE TUDORS that did it for me—I am a History buff and EVERYTHING he did in the series was just out of this world and it proved that because Henry VIII(real one) was a FAT pig didn’t mean JRM could not play the part. Hollywood should sit up and take notice because unlike some of the idiot celebrities out there, Jonathan Rhys Meyers is most definetely a rising star and the TV series DRACULA is a HIT and should NOT be cancelled—Kudos to both DRACULA and Jonathan Rhys Meyers!

11. Karen says

I love this show and hope it is continued. John Rhys Myers is as hot here as he was in the Tudors. Please keep it going. There is nothing else to watch on Friday or Saturday nights anyway. Let us have a sexy interesting show.