Drop Dead Diva: Lifetime Series Cancelled; No Season Five?

Drop Dead Diva canceledLifetime has decided to cancel Drop Dead Diva after four seasons on the air.

Debuting in July 2009, Drop Dead Diva begins as a vapid aspiring model named Deb is killed in a car accident. Unhappy with her prospects in heaven, she finds herself sent back to Earth and ends up in the body of a recently deceased lawyer, Jane (Brooke Elliott). Deb must now deal with being in the body of her complete opposite –someone who’s brilliant, hard-working, charitable, and overweight.

Others in the cast have included Margaret Cho, April Bowlby, Kate Levering, Jackson Hurst, Josh Stamberg, Ben Feldman, Lex Medlin, and Carter MacIntyre.

The fourth season finished airing on September 9th and averaged 2.3 million viewers with a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was slighly better than the performance of the third season — 2.26 million with a 0.7 in the demo. The cable channel reportedly tried to get a boost in the ratings this season by adding Kim Kardashian in a recurring role but that move obvioulsy didn’t have much of an impact.

Lifetime was supposedly holding off on making a decision on Diva’s future until they saw some of their current pilots. One can assume that, since they’ve cancelled Drop Dead Diva, they liked what they saw.

Word is that Sony Pictures TV may try to find another home for the series. Josh Berman created the show and FOX recently cancelled his other program, The Mob Doctor.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Drop Dead Diva has been cancelled? Would you watch it on another station?

JackieWard January 16, 2013 at 10:46 am

Shame it’s cancelled. Sometimes it’s good to watch a series that is quite light hearted instead of the huge amount of serious dramas and cop shows.

Gina January 16, 2013 at 9:32 am

Sad always cancelling the great shows. Bet they put on more violence.

lusta January 16, 2013 at 8:37 am

Well, another good show cancelled. Who is working at these networks, high school kids. It seems every good show with great writing gets cancelled. That is why I watch Nat Geo and History channel. It makes the USA look really dumb, because the so called executives think that we really like all these low class shows.

Ellen January 16, 2013 at 8:26 am

Loved this show from the start, but it was definitely time to end it.

Tonya January 16, 2013 at 6:49 am

I can’t believe they canceled this show. I loved it and watched it every weekend. They seem to cancel all of the good shows and keep the crappy reality shows. I would definetely watch this on another channel.

Rebecca dauer January 16, 2013 at 1:44 am

Please please Do Not Cancel Drop Dead Diva!! I would watch it on any channel at any time. Find another cable company and they are guaranteed revenue and ratings!!!

Peggy January 16, 2013 at 1:23 am

loved it!! would watch it on any channel.

Kelly V January 16, 2013 at 1:19 am

This saddens me that this show is going off the air I have been a loyal viewer since it began. Such a lovely choice having an intelligent leading actress who is overweight but impecably dressed showing the world that even if you are heavy you do not need to be the comic relief for a show and what you say can truly be taken seriously . Thank you for taking a chance and thinking out of the box with this program it will be truly missed

Carrie January 16, 2013 at 1:16 am

I would SO watch it on another channel. This is one of my favorite television shows. I don’t watch TV very often but I made sure that I watched this one. I love Deb and I hate that they canceled it . It just seems that all the good shows are being canceled while trash shows are still around. This is one of the reasons I dont watch tv. PLEASE bring it back !

Judith January 16, 2013 at 1:14 am

I would watch it anywhere. This show was smart, funny. It addressed a lot of serious societal issues with intelligence. Brooke Elliot was brilliant in this role. April Bowlby was perfect, absolutely perfect in her role. What a shame. Shame shame shame on you lifetime.

Bj January 16, 2013 at 1:01 am

Please please please return it on another network

Michelle Griffin January 16, 2013 at 12:58 am

I would watch on another channel. Why would y0u put it on another channel if it failed on lifetime? I think it is good series. Please make sure you have a decent ending to the series.

Sue Creekmur January 16, 2013 at 12:54 am

I loved this show. Waiting for it’s return. I would absolutely watch it on another network. Please bring it back. Too many crazy reality shows hitting the air waves. Drop Dead Divas was worth the watch.

Christy Long January 16, 2013 at 12:30 am

I would watch it on another channel. I’m so upset they canceled it!

Joe Palmieri January 16, 2013 at 12:28 am

I live diva it’s a great summer fix!! But I’m nervous of it didn’t lt on lifetime, will it last on another network? Shows should not air cliffhangers anymore if they are uncertain of renewed, here is yet another great series leaving us in the dark. Wonder I they can make a “lifetime” movie wrapping up diva

Joe Palmieri January 16, 2013 at 12:29 am

Maybe even Hulu or Netflix could consider it… Netflix has picked up series in the past and present