Drop Dead Diva: Lifetime Series Cancelled; No Season Five?

Drop Dead Diva canceledLifetime has decided to cancel Drop Dead Diva after four seasons on the air.

Debuting in July 2009, Drop Dead Diva begins as a vapid aspiring model named Deb is killed in a car accident. Unhappy with her prospects in heaven, she finds herself sent back to Earth and ends up in the body of a recently deceased lawyer, Jane (Brooke Elliott). Deb must now deal with being in the body of her complete opposite –someone who’s brilliant, hard-working, charitable, and overweight.

Others in the cast have included Margaret Cho, April Bowlby, Kate Levering, Jackson Hurst, Josh Stamberg, Ben Feldman, Lex Medlin, and Carter MacIntyre.

The fourth season finished airing on September 9th and averaged 2.3 million viewers with a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was slighly better than the performance of the third season — 2.26 million with a 0.7 in the demo. The cable channel reportedly tried to get a boost in the ratings this season by adding Kim Kardashian in a recurring role but that move obvioulsy didn’t have much of an impact.

Lifetime was supposedly holding off on making a decision on Diva’s future until they saw some of their current pilots. One can assume that, since they’ve cancelled Drop Dead Diva, they liked what they saw.

Word is that Sony Pictures TV may try to find another home for the series. Josh Berman created the show and FOX recently cancelled his other program, The Mob Doctor.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Drop Dead Diva has been cancelled? Would you watch it on another station?

Susan February 1, 2013 at 12:09 am

Watching KK on the show brought it down in my opinion….I hope it gets picked up, and I will follow it there….

Jesse January 29, 2013 at 11:07 pm

This show was a refreshing change from all the ridiculous reality TV saturation. Bummed that it cancelled! I hope another network picks it up!

Charlotte January 29, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Please dont drop the show! I’ve been watching it all the way from Sweden and its sooooo good! Havent seen the last 10 episodes but please picknit up by another network!!
Looooove DDD!!!

Patricia January 29, 2013 at 12:18 am

It is hard to believe that this show was cancelled. Television is saturated with reality shows about DD bra fitting and teenage pregancies that there is no television worth watching anymore. I will miss this show!!! Reconcider this cancellation…This show is wonderful and I waited for the new episodes every season….Shame on you LifeTime…This one is a keeper.

Tresa January 28, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I have been anxiously waiting for season 5 to begin, only to find out the show has been dropped by Lifetime. I’m really hoping it gets picked up by another Network. Love the characters!

Csokeefer January 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Please someone pick up Drop Dead Diva!!!!! This is a Great show!!! You are making a BIG MISTAKE DROPPING THIS SHOW!!!!!!! I agree with what others have written it’s time to quit watching this Network since they are all about cancelling great shows!!!!!!!

linda January 27, 2013 at 5:35 am

i wold love this show to continue!!! i need to know what happens, i would watch it on any channel as long as it continues!!!

Cynthia January 26, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I was really looking forward to the new season! It ended so well in September . So hopeful for Grayson and Jane /deb. I hope it returns elsewhere .

mae January 25, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I most certainly WOULD watch Drop Dead Diva on ANY channel. It’s a fun show that the whole family can enjoy.

Terri January 23, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I am sorry Drop Dead Diva was cancelled. If another channel picks it up, I will be watching it.

staci grassel January 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I am so sad that they cancelled drop dead diva. what were they thinking!! Please Sony get another network to pick it up.

mali January 22, 2013 at 6:35 am

I looove this show! And now finally grayson and jane/deb better and better! I’m soooo disappointed of the cancellation :(

Belinda O January 21, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I am VERY upset Lifetime first you screwed up when you canceled Against the Wall and now this? DDD is a perky feel good show in a time of many Crime and Hospital drama’s(not that those are bad) but come on………this was a GREAT change. I hope some network picks it up and does better than expected. I know I will definitely be watching. You suck Lifetime!!!!!!!!

Lisa January 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I am so disappointed the sow won’t be returning. Whatever network Drop Dead Diva will be on is the one I will be watching.

Blanca Avalos January 19, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I absolutely love this show, have not missed a single episode since day 1. I was turned off by the addition of Kim K. but since her role was insignificant, I simply ignored her…Lifetime is misunderstanding what thier viewers want… Im having a hard time believing I can continue watching this network if it doesnt stop cancelling all my favortite shows. I will follow Drop Dead Diva to any network it calls home…..period.