Drop Dead Diva: Lifetime Series Cancelled; No Season Five?

Drop Dead Diva canceledLifetime has decided to cancel Drop Dead Diva after four seasons on the air.

Debuting in July 2009, Drop Dead Diva begins as a vapid aspiring model named Deb is killed in a car accident. Unhappy with her prospects in heaven, she finds herself sent back to Earth and ends up in the body of a recently deceased lawyer, Jane (Brooke Elliott). Deb must now deal with being in the body of her complete opposite –someone who’s brilliant, hard-working, charitable, and overweight.

Others in the cast have included Margaret Cho, April Bowlby, Kate Levering, Jackson Hurst, Josh Stamberg, Ben Feldman, Lex Medlin, and Carter MacIntyre.

The fourth season finished airing on September 9th and averaged 2.3 million viewers with a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was slighly better than the performance of the third season — 2.26 million with a 0.7 in the demo. The cable channel reportedly tried to get a boost in the ratings this season by adding Kim Kardashian in a recurring role but that move obvioulsy didn’t have much of an impact.

Lifetime was supposedly holding off on making a decision on Diva’s future until they saw some of their current pilots. One can assume that, since they’ve cancelled Drop Dead Diva, they liked what they saw.

Word is that Sony Pictures TV may try to find another home for the series. Josh Berman created the show and FOX recently cancelled his other program, The Mob Doctor.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Drop Dead Diva has been cancelled? Would you watch it on another station?

Kourtney February 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

Oh no! I didnt even like Kim K being on the show and she was supposed to be a rating booster?? That’s awful, how will I ever know what happens with the Owen/Deb/Jane/Grayson love triangle!!

joanne February 17, 2013 at 1:36 pm

So upset, love this show. Will watch on any channel. Hate when shows are cancelled with no regard to closing out the stories that started. Do not watch Lifetime much and probably not at all if this sort of thing continues

babs February 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm

drop dead diva was the only reason I have lifetime,,,it was a refreshing funny program….I am so tired of the so called reality shows …I will look for a different network smart enough to pick it up & will follow them…good bye lifetime

Vicki February 12, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Please bring drop dead diva back to ANY channel. It is a wonderful show and I can’t believe Lifetime would cancel it and keep booooring and self-centered Kimora and Tia and Tamara. dumb idea!!!!

Jeffrey holmes February 12, 2013 at 6:02 am

Sad that the show is ending. I was a fan from the beginning.

Anonymous February 12, 2013 at 12:35 am

This is a fantastic show. I can’t believe they want to cancel. I really hope that someone else picks it up. I just love everyone on the show. I’m still torn between Grayson finding out that Jane is really Deb. And Stacey is just the cutest goofy friend a person could ever have. I prefer the original angel instead of the newest.

anonymous February 9, 2013 at 11:31 pm

This was one of my very favorite shows. I always wished that the seasons would be longer. So sad to hear its cancelled. Kim Kardashian probably hurt the show more than helped it. A funny and smart scripted show will always be better than all those lame and totally unwatchable reality shows. It would be great if another network picked up this always entertainig show.

Suzanne February 8, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I’ve just recently found this show on Netflix and have sped through the seasons enjoying each one. My 14 year old daughter and I watch them together – if one of us doesn’t get impatient and skips ahead. It’s not very often that we can both find a show that appeals to both of us. I went searching online to find out when the show regularly airs and found out that it had been cancelled! Such a disappointment! I don’t often commit to following a show on a regular basis but I would surely make time for this show. I’ll miss you Jane!

shannon barnett February 8, 2013 at 11:46 am

I CANT BELIEVE THIS DROP DEAD DIVIA IS MY FAVORITE SHOW THEY HAVE TO
PUT IT ON ANOUTHER NETWORK THEY CANT CANCELL SERIES IM NOT A TV PERSON THIS IS THE ONLY SHOW I REALLY WATCH AND I CANT WAIT TILL SUMMER EACH YEAR JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL COME UP WITH NEXT

anonymous February 6, 2013 at 4:56 pm

You gotta be kidding!!! You just lost.a viewer for a ,LIFETIME!!! One of my favorite
Too sad!!!

Rose February 5, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I’m done with lifetime. Go ahead and put all those stupid reality shows on cause they are cheap and so are the people on them. Keep taking off the good shows. Hopefully some other network will be smart enough to air Diva.

Janis February 2, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes! I’d watch it on ANY station. Fabulous show. Lifetime is crazy to have cancelled it.

Nicole February 2, 2013 at 1:36 am

Unsatisfied viewer! I am unpleased that Drop Dead Diva was canceled, and not even that, but the ending to season 4′s episode 13 completely leaves the viewer hanging. That is beyond beat up. If Lifetime doesn’t pick it back up, then shoot yeah I hope a smarter station will!

Angel February 1, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I can’t believe you are canceling this show!!! I was waiting for the new season to come around only to find out you’ve cancelled it. I’m sick of all the reality shows, this was actually a good one!!!

Ceecee February 1, 2013 at 9:39 am

Oh no! I hope they find another home! I love this series! It sucks how it’s not so popular here in the Philippines. I’ve been dying to watch season 5!

Anonymous February 3, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Love,love, love it. I will watch it on any network. I need more.