Drop Dead Diva: Lifetime Series Cancelled; No Season Five?

Drop Dead Diva canceledLifetime has decided to cancel Drop Dead Diva after four seasons on the air.

Debuting in July 2009, Drop Dead Diva begins as a vapid aspiring model named Deb is killed in a car accident. Unhappy with her prospects in heaven, she finds herself sent back to Earth and ends up in the body of a recently deceased lawyer, Jane (Brooke Elliott). Deb must now deal with being in the body of her complete opposite –someone who’s brilliant, hard-working, charitable, and overweight.

Others in the cast have included Margaret Cho, April Bowlby, Kate Levering, Jackson Hurst, Josh Stamberg, Ben Feldman, Lex Medlin, and Carter MacIntyre.

The fourth season finished airing on September 9th and averaged 2.3 million viewers with a 0.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That was slighly better than the performance of the third season — 2.26 million with a 0.7 in the demo. The cable channel reportedly tried to get a boost in the ratings this season by adding Kim Kardashian in a recurring role but that move obvioulsy didn’t have much of an impact.

Lifetime was supposedly holding off on making a decision on Diva’s future until they saw some of their current pilots. One can assume that, since they’ve cancelled Drop Dead Diva, they liked what they saw.

Word is that Sony Pictures TV may try to find another home for the series. Josh Berman created the show and FOX recently cancelled his other program, The Mob Doctor.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Drop Dead Diva has been cancelled? Would you watch it on another station?

Canceled and renewed TV show

103 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. sonya says

Finally a show where the main character isn’t a size 3 and they do away with it. Thank you media for setting the bar to eliminate “real people” again.

2. veronica says

I guess Lifetime will loose 2.3millions of viewers, Lifetime is my favorite TV channel, but without DDD I will definetly cancel it with my cable company, we people pay, you guys please us, do your job

3. Cathy says

What do you mean they are not bringing this back??? They need to find a new home for this show then!! I have been watching this show from the beginning!! Please, please, bring this back on another network, or Lifetime……get your act together!!! I won’t be watching Lifetime anymore. Not without my Diva!!!

4. carol says

why is it networks take off good shows to put some times junk. I really liked this program and yes I would watch it on another channel. Dropping with out warning is bad. They did the same with beauty and the beast. leaves the viewers hanging. BRING THE SHOW BACK.

5. Anonymous says

Drop Dead Diva is one of the best shows I’ve watched. And there’s so many questions you guys left like what happened to owen? And did Jane and Grayson have a future? And did Jane tell Grayson about being deb? You guys should really consider to bring it back even if its on a different channel.

6. Dorlene says

I am so going to miss this show. If it finds another channel I’ll be there! I cannot stand reality shows and there is not much left after that. This show I adore.

7. April says

Love, love this show have been watching from day one.this show is the highlight of my t.v viewing for the summer. I look forward to Sunday nights I even got my husband watching it.there seems to be nothing but reality shows on these days,”which I can not stand”.keep it on, move it, I will be there!

8. Anonymous says

I love this show. It is so much better than reality TV. I think they replaced it with the Client List. Drop Dead Diva is so much better. I hope another station picks it up. Lifetime made a mistake by not keeping it!

9. Peg says

I just took out a membership on netflix so I can rewatch past seasons. Please bring it back or move it over. I’ll be there!