Drop Dead Diva: Lifetime Renews Series for Season Two

Drop Dead DivaIn this dramady, shallow model Deb Dobson may have met her premature demise but the network certainly wants her show to live on. Cancellation isn’t in this show’s immediate future. Lifetime has announced that they’re renewing Drop Dead Diva for a second season.

Drop Dead Diva revolves around a vapid blonde (Brooke D’Orsay) who dies in a sudden car crash. After a short time at the pearly gates, she returns to Earth with her soul placed in the body of a brilliant and overweight attorney (Brooke Elliott). At first dismayed by her new human form, Deb starts to get an education about inner beauty. Others in the series include Margaret Cho, April Bowlby, Kate Levering, Jackson Hurst, Josh Stamberg, and Ben Feldman.

Debuting on July 12th, the series got off to a great start with 2.8 million viewers. It also garnered Lifetime’s best premiere ratings in the key demo since Army Wives’ debut in 2007. Last Sunday’s episode marked the show’s best ratings to date among women 18-49, 25-54, and with 3.06 million total viewers.

Are you happy Diva's been renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Despite the fact that the series has yet to finish airing its 13-episode first season, Lifetime is so happy with the dramady that they’ve committed to make season two.

JoAnn Alfano, Executive VP of Entertainment for Lifetime, said, “Drop Dead Diva is one of those rare gems that has charmed both viewers and critics, and I am proud to announce a season two pick-up. [Series creator] Josh Berman, [Executive Producers] Craig Zadan, Neil Meron and their talented team have delivered an amazing show that is helping us to grow and evolve the Lifetime brand.”

Alfano added, “Brooke [Elliott] is a unique talent who has a wonderful career ahead of her. It is so gratifying to see the public and the media responding so positively to her.”

The season one finale, titled “Greyson Anatomy,” is scheduled for October 11th. The second season renewal is for 13 episodes and they’re expected to begin airing in 2010.

Canceled and renewed TV show

73 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. BEVERLY says

im so pleased you are exceited to hear ddd is comming back , i could watch the same episode twice , on sunday night. it was great to know , if i missed the first one , i could watch it later. my husband and i both busted when that husband showed up at her door, what can happen next. its going to be interesting to see how the writers handle this one. brook elliott is just excellent in this role.

2. drop.dead.diva.rocks!! (: says

i love this show!! i hope there are many more seasons to come. the ending was so dramatic, i am so excited to see what happens next! i cant believe i have to wait till 2010 when season two comes out:(
    lauren<3

3. Faith says

2010!!….That so long away I was totally thrown when the husband turned up at the door that next week is to far away I so wanna see season 2 now :( lol

4. Rachel Smith says

Bring back the UNUSUALS it is such an Awesome show… Cast and Directors I don’t care what ABC says you guys are amazing and should not have been cancelled.
    love Rachel

5. Joey says

My Drop Dead Diva insider told me that filming starts in March with airings as early as June! It seems so far away!!!

6. Kimberly says

I LOVE Drop Dead Diva! I know men that even like this show! Its a great show and I hope it last for a long time!

7. says

I just discovered this show a few weeks ago, and since then, I have gone back and binged watch the whole first season and loved every minute of it. It has gotten better with each episode, and I’m so glad people are tuning in…

I loved the season finale, it really set up next season great. That scene where Grayson accidentally revealed to Stacy that he

8. Erin says

I love this show! I was devastated when we got rid of cable, but it’s awesome that I can watch the episodes online. I was thinking the same thing…about Jane’s mom mentioning something to her about the marriage, especially with the whole Tony thing. But they did say that Jane never really communicated with her mom. They weren’t very close. So it is possible that something happened and her mom didn’t know about it.
    I love Grayson. I also love Tony. And now this Ethan guy is really cute! Ahh what’s going to happen? I don’t like it when a show is in the hands of someone else :) Does anyone know approximately when the second season is going to air?

9. Colleen says

LOVE THE SHOW!!! PLEASE DON’T MAKE US WAIT SO LONG FOR THE NEXT SEASON!!!!!!!!!!! Regardless….it’s already programmed to record on my TIVO, LOL!!