Drop Dead Diva: Lifetime Renews Series for Season Two

Drop Dead DivaIn this dramady, shallow model Deb Dobson may have met her premature demise but the network certainly wants her show to live on. Cancellation isn’t in this show’s immediate future. Lifetime has announced that they’re renewing Drop Dead Diva for a second season.

Drop Dead Diva revolves around a vapid blonde (Brooke D’Orsay) who dies in a sudden car crash. After a short time at the pearly gates, she returns to Earth with her soul placed in the body of a brilliant and overweight attorney (Brooke Elliott). At first dismayed by her new human form, Deb starts to get an education about inner beauty. Others in the series include Margaret Cho, April Bowlby, Kate Levering, Jackson Hurst, Josh Stamberg, and Ben Feldman.

Debuting on July 12th, the series got off to a great start with 2.8 million viewers. It also garnered Lifetime’s best premiere ratings in the key demo since Army Wives’ debut in 2007. Last Sunday’s episode marked the show’s best ratings to date among women 18-49, 25-54, and with 3.06 million total viewers.

Are you happy Diva's been renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Despite the fact that the series has yet to finish airing its 13-episode first season, Lifetime is so happy with the dramady that they’ve committed to make season two.

JoAnn Alfano, Executive VP of Entertainment for Lifetime, said, “Drop Dead Diva is one of those rare gems that has charmed both viewers and critics, and I am proud to announce a season two pick-up. [Series creator] Josh Berman, [Executive Producers] Craig Zadan, Neil Meron and their talented team have delivered an amazing show that is helping us to grow and evolve the Lifetime brand.”

Alfano added, “Brooke [Elliott] is a unique talent who has a wonderful career ahead of her. It is so gratifying to see the public and the media responding so positively to her.”

The season one finale, titled “Greyson Anatomy,” is scheduled for October 11th. The second season renewal is for 13 episodes and they’re expected to begin airing in 2010.

Canceled and renewed TV show

73 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Cc says

I love Diva, i cannot wait for the new season to start. I hope it is not long because I am dying to see jane again and her cases.

2. Lorie Manzo says

LUV, LUV, LUV the show !!!!!! Cant wait for Drop Dead Diva to begin airing season 2 !!!!
    When can we expect to begin watching my FAVORITE “DIVA” ?????

3. melissa says

i love all the episodes of season 1
    im anxious to see the second part of the story ..! we dont only want a second season we want more, since its a show that changes tv comedy that combines every aspect of life , and im in good shape.
    im from mexico , and everyone talks about the show . ITS A MUST

4. Peter Wang says

Love this show.
    Me I my wife love it.
    It’s being aired in Taiwan this month and I’m itching to see season 2 soon !
    Great show folks !

5. karla says

OMG!!!! 2010 are you kidding I can’t wait to keep watching it
    its the best show ever, its both funny and romantic well I just hope it keeps on.

6. Liz says

My name is Liz and I am 20 years old to be honest with you I have never had a favorite show where I had to see every episode, drop dead diva was that show… Absoluetly brilliant… I love it. I almost want to cry to hear that it wont come out till 2010… HORRIBLE!

Miss Liz.

7. auntsheen says

I LOVE the show. I’m 50 something…always a bit chubby and had to deal with those who thought they were better than me because they were a size 4. However, my 20 something neice and her 40 something mom love the show, too. It’s a wonderful change to find out a real live chubby gal can be the diva on tv! And maybe the world can finally accept us for our talents and stop judging us on just our dress size! CAn’t wait for next season…….hope, hope, hope Grayson sees her for who she is on the inside and loves her just as he loved Deb….