Drop Dead Diva: Un-Cancelled by Lifetime, Picked up for Season Five

Drop Dead Diva season fiveIt looks like the fans have won. Lifetime and Sony have worked out a deal for season five of Drop Dead Diva. The cable series was cancelled less than two months ago.

Following the cancellation, series creator Josh Berman said that he was remaining hopeful that a new home could be found for the series. He was keeping busy writing scripts and thinking about future guest stars.

According to Deadline, Lifetime had said that they were open to reconsidering their decision to cancel the show if Sony TV could come up with a new financial model. Apparently a deal was worked out that could work for both sides.

There’s no word yet on how many episodes of Drop Dead Diva have been ordered, when they’ll go into production or air.

This is the fourth time that Sony TV has been successful in reviving cancelled TV shows — Unforgettable on CBS, Breaking In on FOX and Damages, which moved from FX to DirecTV.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear that Drop Dead Diva has been saved? Do you think this will or should be the final season?

Monica December 5, 2013 at 2:45 am

I love this show and all the characters. Please keep it going.

Jackie October 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm

LOVE the show keep it up as long as possible!

Kathy N October 1, 2013 at 11:01 pm

please keep DDV as long as possible… I love it!

Joan L. Williams September 28, 2013 at 10:55 am

I was wondering why they did not put a update stating when Drop Dead Diva will start its new series…so I looked online. I was very upset to read that it was cancelled. I am glad that Lifetime decided to renew the series. I have followed this series from the beginning and looking forward to it every season. If you decide to cancel at least let it have a ending…not in mid-stream cancel. I think that is the worst thing a network could do to it viewers…without a ending not matter how the network thinks it is…us viewers love the series. So glad the reconsidered and when will the series start now…it was suppose to start Oct. 6th, so when will it air???

admin September 28, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Season five started airing in June and ran until mid-August. The five remaining episodes of the season will start airing on 10/6/13.

tlong September 23, 2013 at 2:00 pm

yep ready to see it though i cant see that many more seasons after five but the writer and that team is creative so will be waiting for it on netflix, perfect cast love everybody

Rachael August 31, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Love the show… And so do my kids depending on whether they are allowed to watch.

Debbie August 25, 2013 at 12:06 am

Love the show! Great story line.

Kat July 30, 2013 at 8:42 am

I am so happy to see that there one more season. I just finished all four seasons on Netflix. I can’t wait to see the fifth season. Really excited!!!! Thank you lifetime for reconsidering Drop Dead Diva. Yippy!

Mags July 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm

This show is fun. Although the initial premise is weird, I always watch it – it’s a staycation show.
I appreciate the growth of the Stacey and Kim characters; I’d love to see more character development opportunities for Jane.
Actually I was surprised when it was dropped and soooo relieved when it was renewed.
Glad to see less of the guardian angels and disappointed when they don’t make appearances that they should. Frankly, are they so necessary any more? Perhaps more grounding is needed.

Monta July 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm

One of my favorite shows. It is such a fun show and makes me happy to watch it. Love, Love, Love that they decided to bring it back.