Elementary: Season One Ratings

CBS TV series Elementary ratingsWill this new take on Sherlock Holmes, Elementary, be a ratings success and renewed for a second season — or will it be cancelled, like so many other newbie shows?

Elementary typically airs on Thursday nights at 10pm on CBS. The show stars Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu, Aidan Quinn, and Jon Michael Hill.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Elementary will be cancelled or renewed for season two.

Final season averages: 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.65 million total viewers.

Episode 01-22 & 01-23: Thursday, 05/16/13
2.0 in the demo (+5% change) with 8.98 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 2.26 in the demo with 10.65 million.

Episode 01-21: Thursday, 05/09/13
1.9 in the demo (-5% change) with 9.29 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 2.29 in the demo with 10.80 million.

Episode 01-20: Thursday, 05/02/13
2.0 in the demo (0% change) with 9.75 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 2.31 in the demo with 10.88 million.

Episode 01-19: Thursday, 04/25/13
2.0 in the demo (-5% change) with 10.07 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 2.32 in the demo with 10.94 million.

Episode 01-18: Thursday, 04/04/13
2.1 in the demo (-9% change) with 10.48 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 2.34 in the demo with 10.99 million.

UPDATE: Elementary has been renewed for a second season by CBS.

Episode 01-17: Thursday, 03/14/13
2.3 in the demo (-4% change) with 11.33 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.35 in the demo with 11.02 million.

Episode 01-16: Thursday, 02/21/13
2.4 in the demo (+4% change) with 11.19 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 2.36 in the demo with 11.00 million.

Episode 01-15: Thursday, 02/14/13
2.3 in the demo (+5% change) with 10.98 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.35 in the demo with 10.98 million.

Episode 01-14: Thursday, 02/07/13
2.2 in the demo (0% change) with 10.84 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 2.36 in the demo with 10.98 million.

Episode 01-13: Thursday, 01/31/13
2.2 in the demo (-8% change) with 10.90 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 2.37 in the demo with 11.00 million.

Episode 01-12: Thursday, 01/10/13
2.4 in the demo (-8% change) with 11.48 million (0% change).
Season averages: 2.38 in the demo with 11.00 million.

CBS TV show ratingsEpisode 01-11: Thursday, 01/03/13
2.6 in the demo (+13% change) with 11.44 million (+9% change).
Season averages: 2.38 in the demo with 10.96 million.

Episode 01-10: Thursday, 12/13/12
2.3 in the demo (+10% change) with 10.46 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 2.36 in the demo with 10.91 million

Episode 01-09: Thursday, 12/06/12
2.1 in the demo (-5% change) with 10.31 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 2.37 in the demo with 10.96 million.

Episode 01-08: Thursday, 11/29/12
2.2 in the demo (-4% change) with 10.46 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 2.40 in the demo with 11.05 million.

Episode 01-07: Thursday, 11/15/12
2.3 in the demo (+5% change) with 10.75 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 2.43 in the demo with 11.13 million.

UPDATE: CBS has ordered two additional episodes, bringing the season total to 24 installments.

Episode 01-06: Thursday, 11/08/12
2.2 in the demo (-8% change) with 10.90 million (+4% change).
Season averages: 2.45 in the demo with 11.19 million.

Episode 01-05: Thursday, 11/01/12
2.4 in the demo (+9% change) with 10.49 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 2.50 in the demo with 11.25 million.

Episode 01-04: Thursday, 10/25/12
2.2 in the demo (-4% change) with 10.31 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 2.52 in the demo with 11.44 million.

UPDATE: CBS has ordered nine additional episodes, bringing the season total to 22.

Episode 01-03: Thursday, 10/18/12
2.3 in the demo (-8% change) with 10.91 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 2.63 in the demo with 11.82 million.

Episode 01-02: Thursday, 10/04/12
2.5 in the demo (-19% change) with 11.13 million (-17% change).
Season averages: 2.80 in the demo with 12.27 million.

Episode 01-01: Thursday, 09/27/12
3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 13.41 million total viewers.
Season averages: 3.10 in the demo with 13.41 million.

This was a positive start for the new series, particularly in viewership, but the demo could have been stronger — especially considering the fairly lackluster competition (Scandal on ABC and Rock Center with Brian Williams on NBC).

Compared to the season premiere of The Mentalist a year ago, CBS was up by 10% in the demo (vs a 2.8 rating) and down by 1% in viewers (vs 13.56 million).

What do you think? Do you like the Elementary TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or be renewed for a second season?

Lia December 14, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I think it’s a good show, but not that amaazing. It is more of a show I watch in my spare time, not a show to become a fan of.
I am quite a Holmes fan, and I have to say that I don’t like Elementary’s view of Sherlock.
But I guess I am not being fair enough, since I’m a BBC’s Sherlock fan and it is hard to like another holmes show when you’ve seen such an amazing one before.
I think it will get second season, I mean, it has a great amount of viewers…

Dan Harvell December 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm

It’s a pretty ho-hum show, at best, using extremely transparent writing devices to give Sherlock the appearance of being outstandingly brilliant, however most of the “brilliant” moments are clues that are never given to the audience, locking the viewers outside of the fun that most mysteries involve their viewers in – comparing clues to figure out whodunit. This show basically leaves the viewer as nothing more than that, a spectator of a pompous consultant gathering off-screen clues to save the day. Yawn.

MeriSusan December 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

My husband and I tune in each week and have become avid fans of this newest take on a classic character(s). Please keep it coming . . . the actors seem at the top of their game and the story lines continue to intrigue.

Premie Nurse December 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm

This is BY FAR my favorite show on TV. when I read the bios of the characters, I realized why. Both actors are very intelligent on a number of different levels, and are dedicated to accurately portraying the strengths and flaws of their characters. They also have continued to develop their character together in a unique way. I’m addicted, too!

Jo Anna November 22, 2012 at 2:17 am

When I saw the first episode I did not think I could become hooked BUT I AM,BIG TIME! Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu play off each other SO WELL! PLEASE KEEP THIS SHOW GOING AND GOING. I love it! I record it so I never miss it.

Anonymous November 29, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Love this show!

Sue November 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

I’ve never seen the Mentalist so I can’t compare, no CSI or Personal Interest for that matter. I watched solely for the cast, loved Jonny Lee Miller as Eli Stone a few years ago and Lucy Liu was great on Southland last season.

beckstress November 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I too was skeptical. It does remind me of The Mentalist but I’m hooked. I hope they will have a Season 2.

justin November 14, 2012 at 6:05 pm

good show so far keep it up but my all time fav would have to be Person of interest

Widgett November 10, 2012 at 12:46 am

Great show!! Very intelligent!! It’s probably going to be cancelled as most Americans cannot understand what Sherlock is saying!!

Why Watch November 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

An interesting show. Not great, but better than most of the trash on TV. At least it keeps you engaged.

Raquel November 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm

This guy, actor a cheap imitation of The Mentalist, and definitely not as good or appealing as Simon Baker.

mylo November 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I agree with you. LOVE the Mentalist, possibly my favorite network show on the air currently. Elementary is good, interesting. Filmed and set in NYC never hurts! Good actors and characters but Sherlock is… creepy, maybe? Thought he’d be more likeable as Jonny Lee Miller can easily be. Glad to find out we will have more time (22 episodes season) to get to know this seemingly fine show.

JJ Goode November 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I’ve been a Holmes fan years, so I was a little skeptical of Elementary at first. A few buddies that work at DISH with me weren’t sure that the attempt to reshape Watson entirely would go over well, but after catching up on all of the episodes on my DISH Hopper, Miller and Liu are good enough for me. I’ve even watched some of the good scenes multiple times. It’s nice to have a DVR with enough recording space to let me save everything I want to for those nights I feel nostalgic. Here’s to hoping that the show sticks around for years to come.

gregd01 November 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I was hoping they would cancel this tripe and put my beloved The Mentalist back where it belongs. Sadly, The Mentalist is a bit of a disappointment so far this season too.

JB. Taylor October 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I love the show, it just keeps getting better and better with every episode.

Jeremy Rynek September 30, 2012 at 8:26 am

The pilot was pretty interesting, I’ll be DVRing it at least, not as memorable as Unforgettable and Person of interest though, but still good.