Elementary

TV series Elementary on CBSNetwork: CBS
Episodes: Ongoing (hour)
Seasons: Ongoing

TV show dates: September 27, 2012 — present
Series status: Has not been cancelled

Performers include: Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu, Aidan Quinn, and Jon Michael Hill.

TV show description:
This TV series gives a new take on the classic Arthur Conan Doyle characters. It’s a modern-day drama about a crime-solving duo that cracks the NYPD’s most impossible cases.

Following his fall from grace in London and a stint in rehab, eccentric detective Sherlock Holmes (Jonny Lee Miller) escapes to Manhattan where his wealthy father forces him to live with his worst nightmare — a sober companion, Doctor Joan Watson (Lucy Liu). She was a successful surgeon until she lost a patient and her license three years ago.

Watson views her current job as another opportunity to help people, as well as paying a penance. However, the restless Sherlock is nothing like her previous clients. He informs her that none of her expertise as an addiction specialist applies to him and he’s devised his own post-rehab regimen — resuming his work as a police consultant in New York City.

Watson finds she has no choice but to accompany her irascible new charge on his jobs. In the end, Sherlock finds her medical background helpful, and Watson realizes she has a knack for playing investigator.

Sherlock’s police contact is Captain Tobias “Toby” Gregson (Aidan Quinn). He knows, from previously working with Scotland Yard, that Sherlock is brilliant at closing cases, and welcomes him as part of the team.

Series Finale:
Episode #TBD
This TV series has not ended yet.
First aired: TBD

What do you think? Do you like the Elementary TV series on CBS? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for another season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

174 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Michelle says

Love this show with the clever script. Love the fact each episode is not continuous — yet very suspenseful. Keep the shows coming!!!

2. David says

I’m completely hooked. Probably the only TV show I watch regularly.

At first I was taken aback at the casting of Lucy Liu as Watson, but it didn’t take long for me to really warm up to this unique twist. Now I actively look forward to seeing Lucy Liu in action. Watching the straitlaced Watson learn to heist exotic cars as Holmes apprentice has got to be one of the greatest OMG moments ever. The chemistry and acting of the main cast is wonderful.

The key to enjoying it is to not bring any pre-conceived baggage from the BBC Sherlock and the Hollywood Sherlock Holmes blockbusters (both wonderful in their own right) to this series. Once you realize this isn’t the traditional Sherlock Holmes but a unique retelling in modern NYC, and judge it on it’s own merits as opposed to trying to force fit it into Conan Doyles 19th century Holmes, it becomes extremely enjoyable.

Please keep this series going. It is the best thing on CBS.

3. Suzanne says

A brilliant and elegant show with a consistently clever script. One of the few weeklies worth watching on TV. A big shout-out for locations and set design as well; truly does seem like NYC, whether it is or not. JLMiller impeccable in every way..as for Lucy Lu, serious intelligence and beauty in one seamlessly graceful package. LL is so right on as Joan, my suspicion is she wears her own clothes–true NYC understated style–simply because they are an absolute fit with her character.
    CBS: you have a winner here! Do not let it go!

4. Barbara says

I really like the show. I don’t think it should be cancelled. It is unique, tasteful and the characters are funny and interesting. It didn’t record last week and I was bummed. I’m here to try to view it online.

5. hitechwoman says

Please do not cancel this TV show. This is an intelligent and witty form of entertainment. Cannot get this cerebral and entertaining in one spot of TV.
    Keep it going. Do NOT cancel. This is the only TV show that the whole family
    appreciates and watches consistently.

6. Darlene B. says

Elementary is witty, and a twist on the original Holmes. I enjoy that Watson is not
    the “dummy”, that was portraited in the novel. Looking forward to more adventures.

7. Sheridan Hope says

First and foremost.. this is not Sherlock Holmes. It is a police procedural that is jumping on the Sherlock Holmes “bandwagon” to cash in. CBS miraculously came up with this “original” idea, only after being turned down by the BBC to take their successful program “Sherlock” and adapt it for the US audience. It is typical, dumbed down CBS fodder for the masses. There is plenty of room in the world for Sherlock Holmes’ incarnations but please.. how about an American version that is clever, witty and sharply written? I had my hopes up when I saw Miller’s name.. he is quite a good actor. My hopes were dashed when I saw that Watson was now female and played by Lucy Liu (Charlie’s Angels anyone.. we’re not talking Miranda Richardson here). I have watched several episodes and have tried to like it, but the characterization of Holmes as a slovenly, mumbling, twitchy and generally not very bright “genius” goes against my grain and canon. Sherlock Holmes is arrogant, imperious, alternates between manic and depressive.. often rude but always .. always brilliant and when he is wrong on those rare occasions, he is loathe to admit it. Miller’s Holmes’ is too “nice” at times. Holmes has a hard time dealing with emotions…the CBS show has his character showing little development or arc. Cancel it or not.. doesn’t matter to me – I will not be watching. I will wait for the return of Sherlock Season 3 and bide my time watching reruns of the Jeremy Brett Granada series.

8. Fred says

I really like the original novels of Arthur Conan Doyle. The adaptations for tv vary in quality. Basil Rathbone played it poorly bacause the series were wandering from the original. Jeremy Brett did a stunning job. The recent movies by Guy Ritchie and Holmes played by Robert Downet Jr were also enjoyable because they tried capture the atmosphere of the time.

Elementary, however, is not much more than CSI [Enter any city here] or House. The only thing that reminds me about Sherlock Holmes is the name of the lead actor. It is simply horrendously made.

• Someguy says

Have seen all eps of this and also enjoyed the A C Doyle novels. Have come away with much the same opinion as you of the modern takes on the original character. People who like the novels steer clear of this show tbh.

9. Bob says

Simply a winner! Excellent cast and crew. Mr Doyle would be proud. Can’t wait for the new 2013 shows. Keep up the good work.