Eli Stone: ABC Cancels Jonny Lee Miller TV Show

Eli StoneAfter lots of ups and downs in the ratings, ABC has decided that the ride is over for Eli Stone. They’re not ordering any additional episodes for the drama, essentially cancelling the TV show.

Eli Stone follows a handsome attorney (Jonny Lee Miller) with an ideal life and promising future. He works for the law firm owned by prestigious attorney Jordan Wethersby (Victor Garber) and is engaged to Jordan’s daughter, Taylor (Natasha Henstridge). Eli’s life radically changes when he starts to experience strange hallucinations. Is he a prophet or sick? With the help of his brother Nathan (Matt Letscher) and an acupuncturist, Dr. Chen (James Saito), Eli learns the truth about his condition and starts to understand his new life. Other series performers include Loretta Devine, Sam Jaeger, Julie Gonzalo, Jason Winston George, and Tom Amandes.

Stone debuted in January 2008 as a midseason replacement series on ABC. The premiere attracted 11.83 million viewers and a 4.2/12 rating /share in the 18-49 demographic. The second episode fell to 9.38 million and a 3.6/10. The ratings continued to fall after that, hitting a series low of 5.88 million and a 1.6/4 rating/share towards the end of the season. It was a hit with some viewers and critics so ABC decided to stick with the series and renewed it for a second season of 13 episodes.

Season two debuted on October 14th and the numbers were higher than they had been at the end of the previous season – mainly thanks to its Dancing with the Stars lead-in. The season started with a high of 8.82 million viewers and a 2.3/6 rating/share in the demographic. The numbers have been sinking ever since and Tuesday’s episode fell to 6.36 million and a 1.6/4. Those figures look even worse when you consider that Dancing attracted 17.59 million viewers. That means that over 11 million viewers would rather change the channel than watch Stone. Consistently losing a large percentage of its lead-in audience is ultimately what’s killed the show about the attorney with visions.

Should Eli Stone be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

ABC has decided against ordering any additional episodes of Eli Stone. Though they are not calling it a cancellation, there is little to no chance that the network will ever revive the show.The cast and crew are currently finishing up their 13 episode order and it’s not known if producers will try to give the show any sense of closure. Executive producers Marc Guggenheim, Greg Berlanti, and David Petrarca broke the news to the cast and crew earlier today.

For now, the series remains on the network’s schedule. If ABC pulls Stone before the remaining eight episodes have aired, the network will likely air them at a later date, post them online or, at the very least release a season two DVD set. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Mike May 5, 2009 at 1:50 pm

How about 9PM is a terrible time slot, and maybe those 11 million viewers are going to bed instead of changing the channel? Eli Stone is and was the best show on TV, period. ABC made a terrible call in cancelling it.

I was hoping they would bring it back into a better time slot, like say anything before 10PM on the east coast. Bummer, not only is it in the same time slot, but it’s on Saturday night. Looks like they’ve given up completely.

Ju Ju April 7, 2009 at 6:52 am

I know we dont have any impact on what decisions TV Executives make in the U.S. Aussies are a very small demographic BUT Eli Stone has to be the best show to ever come out of the United States, I am crushed that I wont see such an interesting, funny and inspiring show anymore. Johnny Lee Miller you are a genius!!!

Anonymous March 24, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Eli Stone was awsome please do not cancell. Bring it back better than ever

Gina February 18, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Nooooooooo!!!! I want to have Eli back on TV! The topics are inspiring and sometimes funny (it is a special kind of fun, that not every persons like, but there are so many other series or films on TV which ,as example, I don

hilmanic February 14, 2009 at 10:21 am

Noo!!! love this gawddamn show.

Letha January 30, 2009 at 7:22 pm

What a loss! Loved the show! I watch 4 to 6 hours television per week and this is one of my favorites. Most the others are not worth my time.

Very Sad January 30, 2009 at 9:37 am

The best show on TV and they cancel it. What a crying shame. Finally a decent show comes along and it’s gone.

Bookworm January 28, 2009 at 11:38 am

I am very disappointed that they are canceling this show. It was a great show. What we get is Survivor, The Bachelor (we have yet to see a happy ending to that show, but they still keep bringing it back) Eli was a fantasy. Something we need in these times. I really liked when the characters sang. The people I know who watch it said they do not watch new shows any more because they always get canceled. I’m not sure if I like them to be canceled right away or let you get hooked on the show first before they cancel it. Well, guys stay with the gore and death because that seems to be all you all leave on TV. As you can see from my two examples ABC is not the only station to leave bad shows on.

Anonymous January 24, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Season 2 has just started here in the UK on Sci-Fi and its a great series, viewing numbers here in the UK are quite high I believe

Gutted that its being cancelled

Jodi January 18, 2009 at 2:37 pm

it’s too bad that all the ABC broadcasters dont want to try to work with a show to see where it could improve its ratings but would rather invent a new show (like all the other out there) involving sex and super ridiculous drama reality shows, using people who probly couldn’t get past writing their own name on an IQ test.
Eli Stone has character, it has something for the whole family and its SAFE to leave on th tv if you have kids. I’m very dissapointed in the network to concider just getting rid of that show.

anony mouse January 9, 2009 at 3:06 pm

If the ratings are low it’s because 10 pm is late. I have an infant, and we go to bed after primetime, so I catch up online. Eli stone is… admittedly, a different kind of show, but a good kind of different! I’d love to see a season 3, 4, 5, etc.!

crolfs January 4, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Out of all the garbage that is on TV these days, the cancellation of Eli Stone is truly a sad reflection of our society and what they put value in. This is one of the few redeeming shows on TV that portray and encourage making the world a better place. This show really pushes the boundaries and engages us (me) on a subject that is rarely delt with, faith. And it is done through the most meaniful way, relationships. I pray for it’s continuation.

Barbara January 3, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I am truly disappointed that this show is being cancelled. It is creative, unlike most of ABC’s other offerings. I am considering boycotting ABC altogether.

Anonymous January 2, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Doesn’t ABC have enough shows that pander to the tastes of the like that watch The Bachelor, Wife Swap and all the other ridiculous “reality” shows that are on the air? Why can’t you leave one show for those of us who enjoy creativity, great story lines, wonderful, personable characters that might actually make us THINK a little. I abhor the fact that ABC has cancelled Eli Stone and will join any ABC boycott that may happen. I intend to go back to cable and stay there. I invested a lot of time in a couple of your shows (Pushing Daisies being the other that I am shocked that ABC has cancelled). What’s up with this? I think someone over there made a very bad decision.

Dan January 1, 2009 at 9:21 pm

DON’T CANCEL “ELI STONE” PLEASE. My 75 year old mother is having a fit. This is her favorite show. It’s one of my 2 favorite shows.
Try it on a night that’s not opposite “Without a trace” and whatever NBC has on at 10 PM.
You need to give this show a chance. It’s one of the best written, and best cast shows on television.
PLEASE DON’T CANCEL IT.