Emily Owens, MD: Cancelled, No Season Two

emily owens md canceledThe Mob Doctor has essentially been cancelled and now The CW has officially cancelled Emily Owens, MD. The network has revealed that they won’t be adding to the initial 13 episode order and won’t be asking for a second season either.

On the positive side, all 13 episodes of Emily Owens will air. Hopefully this means that faithful viewers will get some kind of closure to the drama’s ongoing storylines.

The news doesn’t come as a surprise. Emily Owens got off to a poor start and the ratings haven’t improved. This season’s Arrow has proven that the tiny network can still produce new hit shows — at least by their ratings standards anyway.

Emily Owens, MD revolves around a young physician who discovers that her new workplace isn’t all that different from her days at high school. The series stars Mamie Gummer, Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

What do you think? Are you a fan of the show? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled? Why do you think it failed to attract a bigger audience?

Canceled and renewed TV show

357 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Betty says

I, too, found this show on Netflix and I am also bummed that the show was cancelled. I just watched the season finale and checked online to see when it would air again and what network. Seriously upset that the show was cancelled.

2. Becca Jones says

I loved this show! I just found it on Netflix, like many, and from the first episode fell in love. I am so terribly disappointed to learn that it was canceled and wish nothing more than to have it continue on.
    I’m surprised that I have never heard of it before and can not imagine why the ratings would be low. It is a great show and I am seriously rooting for the makings of a season 2!

3. rose says

Shame! I think this has been the best series on tv for a long time. Great actors, really sensitively observed characters and written storylines running alongside each other and intertwining. Unusual. COME ON AUNTIE BEEB – pick this one up and put it where it should be – mainstream and prominent – please.

4. Laurie Cook says

I never caught the series on tv, just Netflix, and I watched all 13 episodes in 2 days. Loved it! I first saw Mamie on Off the Map and loved her character on that show (also an M.D.). I am very sorry to see this show end!

5. Antoinette Reyes says

I love the show. Found it on netflix. I think they just didn’t advertise about it. No one I know had ever heard of it so I’m not sure what slot they had it in but I really enjoyed it. Sucks that it ends on such a clifhanger. I was dying to see what happens next but guess I am never going to.

6. Jordan says

Emily Owens, (mamie gummer)is a beautiful talented actress and was a joy to watch. Meryl should be super proud! I had never heard of the show (most people don’t have cable anymore, sorry execs) and I saw it on Netflix and I am stoutly refusing to watch the last episode because then it will be over. Mamie catches your heart, with her quirky attitude and inability to do as she thinks. I love this show and disappointed doesnt even begin to cover the feeling I have since hearing its cancelled. It needs season 2. Needs it. Dot leave people hanging!

7. Lisa Klein says

This is crazy! Yes, Doctor Emily Owens started out a little rough and I have to say that my husband and I bailed after the first two shows but then I went back to check it out on Netflix and wished that they would have got picked up because it was getting really GOOD! Seriously T.V. executives! you need to give a show at least two seasons because of all the different shows on T.V. these days. BRING EMILY OWENS M.D. BACK!

8. citygirl says

This was one of the best shows on TV! The promoting of this show was non-existent which might explain why it had such poor ratings, but the storyline was fresh and the acting was exceptional. It deserves another chance with some effort put in promoting it!

9. kapo says

I’m from Hong Kong and I watched the last episode last night on TVB! Just love this show! Please!!! We need season 2!