Emily Owens, MD: Is the New CW TV Series Worth Watching?

Opposite new and existing shows, The CW’s Emily Owens, MD is going to have to work hard to get decent ratings? Does the new TV series have a chance? Is it even worth watching?

Emily Owens, MD revolves around intern Emily Owens (Mamie Gummer) as she starts working at Denver Memorial Hospital. She’s excited to begin her new job until she realizes that it’s going to be a lot like high school — complete with her former school nemesis.

The show also features the talents of Justin Hartley, Aja Naomi King, Kelly McCreary, Harry Lennix, Necar Zadegan, and Michael Rady.

Does Emily Owens like it’s worth your time? Here’s what some of the critics think:

Kansas City Star: “Although the role is a sad waste of Gummer’s skills, she makes Emily believable and likable against impossible odds. The rest of the cast is fine, but without Gummer, they couldn’t begin to rescue the series from its enormous burden of predictability and cliché.”

Salt Lake Tribune: “It’s not a great show, but it’s a much better show than you might expect for one reason – Mamie Gummer is so winning in the title role… There are more than a few over-the-top moments, particularly when Emily crushes on her fellow doctor. But Gummer (Meryl Streep’s daughter) is so charming she manages to make the character likable despite the writing.”

NY Post: “Is there a virus going around that is infecting all new female doctors—or is this a disease that is just infecting all new female doctor shows?… Now comes The CW’s Emily Owens, M.D. which may also meet its untimely demise due to that pesky, yet fatal condition: LOCS. LOCS is like other popular TV medical syndromes such as ED, IBS and RLS, but more widespread. What does LOCS stands for? Lack Of Creativity Syndrome.”

LA Times: “I happen to like Emily Owens, M.D., the CW’s new medical comedy, which is also its new medical drama. It is smartly written and well played and stars Mamie Gummer, who has been sneaking up on television via John Adams, the short-lived Off the Map and a delightful recurring role on The Good Wife. But I can see that this series, which premieres Tuesday, is also going to be very much a matter of taste.”

USA Today: “That Gummer makes it through the hour with her reputation intact is a credit both to her talent and to The Good Wife, which allowed her to shine in a much better role than she has here or in her last medical series, the equally ridiculous Off the Map. Maybe she should stay out of scrubs for a while. Luckily for her and for us, that same device with the mute button also comes with one that lets you change the channel. Hit it.”

Hollywood Reporter: “Welcome to one of the most annoying and condescending shows you’ll ever hopefully not watch. Emily Owens is a pilot that should be shown to all preteen and even high school girls, like one of those shocking Red Asphalt driver’s ed films from long ago. It should be a warning to all young women that they need to have self-esteem, confidence and a belief in their own intelligence, or they’ll end up like Emily, the most talkative, least confident successful woman you’re likely to meet.”

Miami Herald: “The show’s various gossipy subplots — particularly those involving Tyra Dupre (Kelly McCreary, White Collar), an intern whose chief-of-staff father “wanted a son, got a lesbian” — are all entertaining. So much so, in fact, that you sometimes forget that Emily is a medical drama with unexpected life-and-death moments that can feel like a punch in the stomach. Any show that can simultaneously work on your gut and your heart is worth a look.”

What do you think? Have you seen the Emily Owens, MD TV series? If so, will you watch again?

Carol April 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Emily Owens MD was a great show.Please give us this show back. I love watching Hart of Dixie & Emily Owens MD on Tuesday night.

Kathi February 7, 2013 at 2:10 am

Can’t believe it is cancelled. Great characters and story line.

Anonymous February 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I just started watching This show and loved it!! Please bring it back!! We looked so forward to Tuesday night TV.

Anonymous April 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm

It is one of tHe best shows on TV everytime you really get into a good show they take it off for some stupid Reality Show. Leave it on or bring it back!!!!!!!!!

Sarah February 7, 2013 at 1:08 am

I really would have enjoyed the opportunity to follow this show further. It’s sad it had to end the way it did.

Anonymous February 6, 2013 at 11:17 am

My entire family enjoys this show!! It is light humorous and real. Someone save the show!!

Anonymous January 30, 2013 at 7:02 pm

This is one of the best shows on TV!! You critics are definitely critical. You happen to hate fun and happiness….
Is there any way we can talk execs into keeping the show and giving it a chance???

Rose January 30, 2013 at 2:12 am

I love this show please don’t cancel it!

kaley January 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Sorry about spelling computer Is messed up

Virginia January 27, 2013 at 12:16 am

I love this show. Not sure why critics are always down on entertainment. Not every show has to be critically acclaimed. The networks really need to give shows a chance. So many have been cancelled the last couple of years I am wondering if I will watch anymore new shows. Why would you keep shows like beauty and the beast or start a show like the Carrie diaries and cancel Emily Owens is beyond me. Please for once keep a show that is pure entertainment and a show I look forward to every week.

Anonymous January 11, 2013 at 11:55 pm

This is an excellent show! Emily is so likable and I look forward to watching it every week. It truly is sad that people no longer understand the difference between a good show and a HORRIBLE one. This show is amazing.

Kathy January 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It can’t be true……Please keep the show from being cancelled!!

Darlene January 2, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Love it love it love it!!!!! Don’t want to see it cancelled!!!

Catrina Metzing October 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

I LOVE Emily Owens M.D. It is my new favorite show and I really hope it doesn’t get cancelled!

Darlene January 2, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Me too!

Rhea October 22, 2012 at 5:58 am

I like Emily Owens MD. Mamie Gummer fun to watch as the nerdy doctor.

Anonymous October 18, 2012 at 10:12 am

writing needs to improve. too silly. appears to want to appeal to Jr high & high school age people.

Anonymous October 17, 2012 at 3:04 am

Please keep this show alive, I happen to like! I love medically inclined shows, I guess being a nurse sometimes you feel you speak a different language. Not saying these shows portray the real life of nurse or doctors, but they can come close to relating. I do believe the person you are in high school follows you, I mean come on, you are the same person. Yes we have grown up and put our big girl panties on, but that will always be you. Everyone feels insecure, and hopeless at time. If you don’t, then I don’t think you are human.